TTORA Forum banner

Speedometer gear question

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  93toy 
#1 ·
I need to change my speedometer gear since I went to 4.88's, but I have to see how many teeth my current one has. On a 1997 2.7 5 speed, where does the speedo gear enter the transmission. Left or right side? Towards the front or back?

#2 ·
93toy said:
I need to change my speedometer gear since I went to 4.88's, but I have to see how many teeth my current one has. On a 1997 2.7 5 speed, where does the speedo gear enter the transmission. Left or right side? Towards the front or back?
On my 95 2.7 its passenger sider rear on transfer case. When in doubt follow the speedo cable. Number of teeth is stamped on the face of the gear. I believe for your application you need 33 tooth speedo gear. Do a search and you should find this info on the forum. Maybe Hytenor will chime in. He posted the last info. I believe. I think you can also get a speed calibrator to get within 1%. superlift makes one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.