TTORA Forum banner

SoCal - Big Bear: August 11/12, 2012

17K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  sparky 
#1 ·
TTORA SO-CAL

presents

BIG BEAR

This is one of the largest attended events of the year! The annual Big Bear run has plenty of fun trails for all types of vehicles. Most staff and members will be camping. Trail runs will take place all day Saturday and additional runs usually pop up on Sunday.

VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS: Open to all Prerunners and 4x4s.

All vehicles should have a tow strap, at least 1 tow point on both ends of your rig(stock OK), a fire extinguisher, a first aid kit, a fully working spare tire and tools to change it. Each run has its own requirements, see below. A CB radio is highly recommended for communications on the trail.

DRIVERS MEETING:

TIME: 9AM Sharp!
Please have your vehicle ready for the trails!

RUNS:

Prerunner / Stock Run:
Geared toward Prerunners and stock 4x4s, this is a great run for the new comer or those just looking for a nice time in one of the most beautiful mountain areas in Sothern California. This run will be a tour of Holcomb Valley and the surrounding points of interest. Damage of any kind is very unlikely. The San Bernardino Mountains have a rich history and this will be presented as we visit the mines, town sites and other interesting or scenic stops along the way. This is a great way to introduce you and your family to the back county in the San Bernardino National Forest and to learn of its many links to the lands below. It will also be a great way to escape the summer heat by having a relaxing time in the mountains! Some stops will require short walks to view the sites. Appropriate shoes and attire are recommended.

Stock / Modified 4x4 Mild Run:
This run will cover trails such as Gold Mountain, White Mountain, Pontiac Sluice and Jacoby Canyon. These trails will include rocky hill climbs, small rock gardens and loose dirt. Body damage on these trails is not likely, however rock sliders and skid plates are recommended. 4x4 is required for these runs. Additionally, a rear locker and off-road tires are required for the White Mtn. trail run.

Lifted and Locked Hard Run:
This run will cover such trails as John Bull, Holcomb Creek, Dishpan Springs and Deep Creek. These trails are very challenging and cover steep, rocky, off-camber terrain. Minimum requirements include 33” tires and one locker. Rock sliders and body armor are also recommended. Body damage is possible on these trails.

Planned runs will vary depending on turn-out and some runs may be combined or cancelled as necessary.
If you have any questions please let your trail leader know before starting the trail.

FEES:

You must purchase a Forest Adventure Pass if you park or camp in the NF. The forest rangers do regularly patrol the area. You can be cited if you are parked without an Adventure Pass displayed. Adventure Passes are good for four local National Forests, Angeles, San Bernardino, Cleveland and Los Padres. They are required if you stop your vehicle and participate in any form of recreation (i.e. any stopping). Complete details including how and where to purchase the passes can be found at www.fsadventurepass.org. Day passes are $5 and annual passes are $30. The day passes are good for the date validated through 10am the following morning.

Also, if you are planning on using a stove, you will need a fire permit. They can be picked up at any local ranger station or the Discovery Center.

CAMPING INFO:

Weather conditions average mid to high 40’s at night and high 70’s to 80’s during the day at this time of the year. Please pack and prepare accordingly. This year we've reserved a group campsite for both Friday and Saturday night. The information is as follows:

Tanglewood: Near Van Dusen Canyon Road (3N79). BBQ grill, fire ring, tables, pit toilet. No trash collection. 7,542', 40 people; 8 vehicles; 25' space length.

We've contacted the Ranger Station and have been informed that the vehicle limit is loosely enforced but we are to adhere to the person limit. The fire ring allows us to have a real fire this year as opposed to the "lantern fires" of the past. "Pack It In, Pack It Out" will be enforced. Let's leave a good impression and leave the campground in better shape than when we got it. Due to limited space, camping will be given on a "first come, first serve" basis.

Getting There:
34.29222, -116.86444
34°17'32"N, 116°51'52"W

Turn onto Van Dusen Canyon Road (Forest Route 3N09) and drive for 4 miles. Turn right onto Forest Route 3N16 and travel approximately 2 miles. Take a right on Forest Route 3N79 and continue approximately 0.8 miles to the campground

See less See more
#2 ·
If my junk is running in time, I'm in.
Don't forget, if you buy one annual adventure pass for $30, you can buy another for only $5. So get a friend, pool your money and get your annual pass for only $17.50.

A little birdie told me we already have about 4-5 sponsors that have comitted to donating prizes for a raffle on Saturday night. :D

#7 · (Edited)
This is not an event you want to miss...

Big Bear is one of the more popular runs of the year. Not only does the SBNF have a lot to offer trail wise, it's a great place to escape the summer heat. This year we are raising the bar in more ways than one. In addition to the group campground we have reserved, we will also be having a raffle! That's right, a chance to win some nice stuff from our generous sponsors. Each driver (one per vehicle) will receive one free raffle ticket.

List of confirmed sponsors donating to the raffle :clap::clap::clap:

Keep your eyes open as this post will change as more sponsors confirm their participation!

#11 ·
We have a few well-known sponsors that will be on the trail with us that weekend. John and a small crew from All-Pro Off-Road will be there. As will Jason DeMello of DEMELLO OFFROAD and Wyatt of Rock Solid Toys.

Come on out and let these guys show you why they're in the Toyota business!

#16 ·
Are you bad at checking the SoCal board for Official Run info? Would you like an easier way to be reminded of upcoming events?

If the answer is yes, then the TTORA SoCal mailing list is for you!!

All you need to give us is your valid email address and that's it! You're able to choose a password if you'd like or just leave it blank and we'll generate a password for you.

http://lists.norcalttora.com/mailman/listinfo/socal-announce

Also, did you know that TTORA SoCal has their very own website? Here, you can access all sorts of information about the SoCal Staff, local trails, sponsors, other members and past events. While you're there, don't forget to register yourself!

http://www.ttora-socal.com/

#20 · (Edited)
The List!

1. sparky: mild, camping(fri/sat) *Trail Leader*
2. rocket-scientist: mild, camping(fri/sat)
3. rivethead242: hard, camping(fri/sat) *Trail Leader*
4. Johnnie: stock, camping(fri/sat)
5. Kmillan: hard, camping(fri/sat)
6. amocat 777: stock
7. willia12: hard, camping(fri/sat)
8-11. Scuba+3(AP): hard, camping(fri/sat) *Trail Leader**Tail Gunner*
12. BattleWagon: hard, camping(fri/sat)
13. j-money$$$: hard, camping(fri/sat)
14. awsumdc: hard *Tail Gunner*
15. cb77DEMELLO: hard, camping(fri/sat)
16. bajadan: hard
17. thehackman15: hard, camping(fri/sat)
18. simigeology: mild
19. bake_mono: mild, camping(fri/sat)
20. BASEjumper: hard, camping(fri/sat)
21. cltypes32: mild, camping(fri/sat)
22. J41: mild, camping(fri/sat)
23. Dlar4x4: hard
24. mudslinger: hard
25. vistataco: mild, camping(sat) *Tail Gunner*
26. bzag: mild, camping(fri/sat)
27. tacoeng: hard
28. whatupdep: hard
29. sr5trd99: hard
30. pelon17: mild, camping(sat)
31. graymatter72: stock, camping(sat)

#21 ·
Man! I spazz'd, I 'd double book that day! I so want to go to this, but I was reminded that I had something to do that day! Now I can't go! I'm going to take my name off the list. Sorry for the inconvinence. Have fun!

1.parky: stock, camping(fri/sat)
2. rocket-scientist: mild, camping(fri/sat)
3. rivethead242: hard, camping(fri/sat)
4. Johnnie: stock, camping(fri/sat)
5. Kmillan: hard, camping(fri/sat)
6. amocat 777: stock
7. willia12: hard, camping(fri/sat)
8. Scuba+3(AP): hard, camping(fri/sat)
12. BattleWagon: hard, camping(fri/sat)
13. j-money$$$: hard, camping(fri/sat)
14. awsumdc: hard
15. cb77DEMELLO: hard, camping(fri/sat)
16. bajadan: hard
17. thehackman15: hard, camping(fri/sat)
18. simigeology: mild
20. BASEjumper: hard, camping(fri/sat)
21. cltypes32: mild, camping(fri/sat)

. . . and growing!

#22 ·
interested in going, but I'm new and not sure which route to take. i just got done building my rig, but I'm new to yotas and big bear trails. I'm sure my rig is capable so I'm thinking the mild to hard but at the same time maybe just do the stock easy this time and move up next year. what do you guys recommend? thanks for any info

#27 ·
Count me in! I will be open for the med or hard runs. I can help lead / tailgun any of the medium runs. May be camping Sat night.

#29 ·
A few of us in the IE are planning a caravan Friday evening at 6:30pm. However, the "prerunner/stock" run is in jeopardy due only 3 members signing up for that run. If this run does happen you're welcome to caravan with us. We're leaving the Fontana area around 6:30pm.

Keep an eye on this thread for more info as it approaches
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189632

What part of the IE are you in?

#32 ·
Please adhere to this schedule as it is vital to the flow of the day's events.

Saturday, August 11th

8:45am: Driver Check-In
You will be given a grab bag and raffle ticket. Due to the high interest in the Hard Run, we have split it into 2 groups. If you've signed up for it, you will be assigned a group to join.

9:00am: Driver's Meeting
There will be a brief driver's meeting before your Trail Leaders take you to your starting point. Be sure your truck meets the minimum requirements for your run. If you have any questions, talk to your Trail Leader. If there is any doubt of your trucks ability and preparedness, you will be asked to join a less difficult run. These requirements were set to protect you, your truck and the other members in your group.

7:00pm: Raffle
We anticipate everyone to be off the trail and in camp well before this time. Every driver should have the raffle ticket that was given to them at the Driver Check-In. Prizes will be raffled off.

9:00pm: Night Run(Optional)
If history repeats itself, someone will put together a night run through John Bull. This isn't a scheduled run and is usually talked about around camp. If you're interested, keep your ears open!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.