TTORA Forum banner

vinyl top

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ron86toy 
#1 ·
hey i was thinking about making a vinyl top for my 88 4runner. i got some ideas but need a few more ideas and some help attaching it to the back tailgate. if anybody has any idears please feel free to add your $.02 worth of idears.

#2 ·
I use a bikini top for a FJ40(its a Besttop)....it came with the windshield track(I had to shorten it a bit)...I mounted the track to 4 short pieces of angle and use the factory bolts.....for the support bar I just used some black pipe.......The FJ top is a little wider so I put a snap on each end on the bottom side of the track so it did not have wings.Then a rachet strap to keep it tight from the factory bar to the black pipe....it been 75-80 mph on my open trailer without problems.

I think a CJ top will fit too...just make sure you get the track...I have about 70.00 into mine

#3 ·
I just noticed you said tailgate in your post sp I am thinking a you are making a full soft top....I have a Softtopper on my tow rig and love it.....they have one for a 4R too.....if its like mine they use velcro on the tailgate.....if you need a pic let me know

www.Softopper.com

#6 ·
that would be nice if that would work out cause i really don't want to pay $700 for a soft top. i think i could get the material for it at about $100 at the most. But i appreciate it Ron86toy cause now i know what to look at and base mine off of. if i could find a used one nobody wants for about half the price then that wouldn't be that bad.

#7 ·
You can find them used(very rarely).....there was a guy making some out of his house on Yotatech(this was a while back....not sure if he does it still) for about 500.00 shipped IIRC.....the hardest part will be the frame and supports I would think(and windows)

The softtopper is well worth the money....fit/finish...warranty....no fab work to figure out.I was very surprised when I installed mine on my Dodge how nice it is...very quality stuff.

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.