TTORA Forum banner

Franklin-CulloWHEE Oct 27 +

4K views 51 replies 9 participants last post by  04 Rocko Taco 
#1 · (Edited)
Franklin-CulloWHEE Oct 27 + Last year's Fall colors Pix

Hey Guys
I am planning a lil trip up to Franklin, Asheville, Cullowhee next weekend. I have some stuff in Asheville on Friday, but it would be awesome to hook up with some guys on Saturday Morning in Franklin, who would like to ride up the coppermine road to Old Bald, or Upper Field, and camp out Saturday nite. The trees should be close to MAX. The place is awesome!
Franklin is about 2.5 hours from ATL, if you go up 985>441. If you're coming from Cort's house ;-), take 64 east!
Last time, Tim (Can'tDriveOnTheRoad) and I went up there, we met Jordan and friends at the WalMart in Franklin on Sat AM. it worked well.
I have some friends up there who might be available to show us some more trails too.
This is 4x4 required, Coppermine is a bit challenging.
Anybody want to come!?
>> WAYY Too Many Pix! <<
October 2006
June 2007 Cullowhee Pix

#2 ·
Hey mike, how far is that from ATL, and will you guys be riding at all on Sunday?

#3 ·
Chris, i added the driving time to the first post.
** Also added Photobucket Linx to last year's trip **

If all goes well, we will wake up at Old Bald on Sunday morning, have our possum strip breakfast, pack up, and do some riding. We could come down to the store and find you, and take you back up there.

#5 ·
jeez EVERYBODY has something good going on on the 27th....too bad me weekend is ALL filled up. i would like to go there sometime though

#6 ·
Oh Man
Oct has been a KILLER. I had to FIGHT for this one.
Hey come to Gold Rush Days in Dahlonega this Saturday... Gonna be some good Bluegrass music in front of Gee's Furniture store ;-)

#13 ·
OK, got my bud Jason who goes to WCU in Cullowhee lined up for riding and camping, along with a few friends of his.
Now to get Wild Bill on the phone and get some news from him....

Chris, why dont you guys come over!!!

I might drive the T100 and swing by Knoxville and hitch up an 84 on Sunday if no one else gets that thing.

#21 ·
so what are you gonna drive?

#23 ·
DooD, I was hoping to have the new engine ready for ******, but, I think I'll drive him as he is now. I might take the T100, in case I want to tow a particular 84 4Runner back though.... I have a week to decide. :p

#30 ·
Hey Mike,
I am off on monday, but I have to work saturday. So I could come up there Sat night...., ride with you guys Sunday....and I assume you have to go home Sunday? lol. might still be worth it.... I'll get with you this evening...

#32 ·
john, I got a set of 31X10.5's you could run on the road. :)

#34 ·
if the b-day is a bust, yes they are mounted, and blanced and ready to roll. :)

#36 ·
Its supposed to be rainy now... Im doubting that I will camp unless it clears out wonderfully, but I wont camp solo either. IF my buds at WCU still want to camp, well then...
The Moses Creek trail is two-wheelable and it gets you up to the bald too. PM me your phone Matt, and I'll let you know as the weekend gets on top of us. Might work out for a Sunday ride. Maybe some 'locals' will join us too. :)
Ed?

#37 ·
Mike, Tracy misses you, as do I and Cort, if you got some time to ride on Sunday, I think we are in. :)

#38 ·
aw, I feel the same way . :p Has She been a good girl?? ( Tracy I mean, I know Cort is :) )
But you have quite a bit of overhead on Sunday dont ya... I bet it would be 2-3pm at the earliest B4 you could make it over there... with church and all.
There is a church in Franklin I have not been to and thought I'd go on Sunday, only if I'm camping in the middle of nowhere, I'll probably just use the very mountaintop that I'm on for the occasion.

#39 ·
Nah, I won't be coming from Cort's. I'll be here in ATL, so we can just pray on the way. :) if your camping, the thinking is we might just come up sat night, and then ride on Sunday. :)

#41 ·
Here is what I think we have so far:
After riding in the Pisgah on Friday with Asheville friends, I'll come to Franklin on Saturday.
Saturday, about lunchtime, I'll be meeting Jason and his buddy, students at WCU either at the school, or close to there. The WalMart in Franklin is about 30 minutes from WCU (western carolina univ).
We are planning to camp at "upper field".
There is an "EZ" approach, called Moses Creek rd, off Caney Fork (off 107), which anyone can use to get up there. I think Chris is going to come up, but his time of arrival is still to be determined; the earlier the better, preferably if its still light. If not, we'll send a scout down to get him.
If anyone wants to join us and camp, think about camping supplies, and some wood. I think I'll bring a chain saw anyhow, and perhaps a maul. There was a bunch of cut up trees there last time.
Coppermine road is fairly difficult, 4wheel only, and a couple places you'll wish you had lockers. That will be a good place to play while we're there.
The scenery and serenity alone is worth the trip.
We can play until Sunday afternoon, then I have to go home. :)
Its possible I can get Wild Bill to show us some more trails up there, as he grew up there and he is a wild man!

#42 ·
Alright Mike, I'm talkin to Cort and TRacy, makin sure everyone is up for the trip, and I'll let you know... I could leave ATL by 5:30....so before dark is unlikely Sat night...

#48 ·
Matt, there's a good bit of it on the photobucket shots. I hit a couple spots this spring where it took like a dozen jabs to get up for ******. Jordan's did fine because he was locked F/R at the time. But the Moses Creek approach is fine. So, you gonna come up Saturday and camp?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.