TTORA Forum banner

Cheap and easy spare tire holder mod

9K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  nhlbill 
#1 ·
While my bedbar only has 1 thing going across, I recommend 2 spaced about 6" apart to minimize tire wobble-age while wheeling. I did this because I was tired of my spare doing whatever the hell it wanted to, plus I can still slide things underneath the tire.

See less See more
#3 ·
generalee7 said:
While my bedbar only has 1 thing going across, I recommend 2 spaced about 6" apart to minimize tire wobble-age while wheeling. I did this because I was tired of my spare doing whatever the hell it wanted to, plus I can still slide things underneath the tire.
Instead of adding a second bar I would say to add under the bar a spacer of about 4 inches or so. That way you can have easier access to the crank portion of the winch with the tire iron. at the bottom of the 4 inch spacer a flat plate.

or with the double bar setup just put some 4 inch lower extensions on there and run a plate inbetween.

just my :2cents:

#7 ·
jjrambo said:
Instead of adding a second bar I would say to add under the bar a spacer of about 4 inches or so. That way you can have easier access to the crank portion of the winch with the tire iron. at the bottom of the 4 inch spacer a flat plate.

or with the double bar setup just put some 4 inch lower extensions on there and run a plate inbetween.

just my :2cents:
I don't even use the stock crank that came with the truck, a screwdriver works fine!

#8 ·
generalee7 said:
I don't even use the stock crank that came with the truck, a screwdriver works fine!
good point I guess, but that's just how i would do it. I do like the idea none the less. But seeing as I am more apt to have a lowerd truck I'll never be diong something like that unless I finally start making the cash I want to and can afford to have more than one good toy.

#17 ·
That is an awesome idea! does it put stress on the bed rails though when the tire moves around?

#20 ·
generalee7 said:

slick idea ;)
I would still come up with something under the tire to keep it tight to the bed or you may wind up ripping that bed bar right off during some crazy wheeling
(not that you drive like Dale or anything ;)

#21 ·
KStacoma said:
That is an awesome idea! does it put stress on the bed rails though when the tire moves around?
Thanks! It doesn't really put stress on the bed rails. Once I get off my lazy ass and buy more steel, I'll report back and let you guys know how my double round tube bed bar/tire holder works out.

#23 ·
hytenor said:
slick idea ;)
I would still come up with something under the tire to keep it tight to the bed or you may wind up ripping that bed bar right off during some crazy wheeling
(not that you drive like Dale or anything ;)
Thanks Chris!! I think if I were to put something under the tire, it would ruin the space that could be used so I figure if I made a double tube bed bar with them spaced apart, it might solve the problem. Dean also came up with the idea to just bend some tube and weld it parallel to the bedbar but sticking out over the tire so it doesn't bounce around. I think it would still bounce around a bit with that, with 2 round tubes, there is equal force being put onto the tire in 4 places instead of 2. Make sense? LOL

#24 ·
generalee7 said:
Thanks Chris!! I think if I were to put something under the tire, it would ruin the space that could be used so I figure if I made a double tube bed bar with them spaced apart, it might solve the problem. Dean also came up with the idea to just bend some tube and weld it parallel to the bedbar but sticking out over the tire so it doesn't bounce around. I think it would still bounce around a bit with that, with 2 round tubes, there is equal force being put onto the tire in 4 places instead of 2. Make sense? LOL
its the bouncing around that will eventually wear/fatugue and finally break the metal. the weight of the tire/wheel makes for a big lever. Mounting the tire hoist to a double bar and then adding something like what the stock spare holder has should do the trick though. That will transfer most of the stress to the tire brackets and bars. If later on it looks like the frame rails are getting still getting to stressed you can beef them up where the bars are mounted. I've seen some 1/8" diamond plate rail caps that would take care of that.

now you got me thinking of doing the same for my extra spare ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.