TTORA Forum banner

TRD axle swap

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  RENEGADE76254 
#1 ·
looked around on the board a bit and couldn't seem to find much. Anyhow, what all do I need to swap in a TRD rear axle besides the axle and switch?THanks

Ryan

#5 ·
SAStoy said:
Thanks, I will keep an eye out for him. Anyone else familiar with parts needed for the swap? Thanks Ryan
Ryan,
Let's start by getting a bit more info. What year, model, engine is your truck?
What is your gear ratio, real important unless you plan on re-gearing the front as well? Are you going to buy a complete E-locking rear drum to drum?

I would suggest you do the install in 3 steps as follows:
1-Build your wiring harness/control module (i.e. have all the electronics sorted out before you start) and do some bench testing to make sure it all works. I spent about 6 to 8 hours doing the actual wiring and testing not counting the time spent rounding up supplies for this step.

2-Prepare the e-locking rear for installation then install it on the truck. This includes changing the diff oil, making sure the brakes are in good working order and all your seals don't seem to be leaking (all you can do there is a visual inspection unless you want to completely dismantle the new e-locking rear). Next install it on your truck. Just follow the link in my signature and I have a buch of pictures of the swap. Pretty straight forward. You might want to consider having some spare u-bolts for the leaf packs, rubber bump stops if yours are missing or bad as well as some spare brake lines. Don't forget the spare brake fluid. I spent about 3 hours preparing the new rear and another 4 to 5 doing the actual swap again not not counting the time spent rounding up supplies for this step.

3-Install the wiring harness/control module on your truck.
This step took the longest for me because I wanted everything to look professional and did not want to have to mess arround with this 3 months down the road. I spent about 8 hours installing all the wiring and control module.

SAStoy said:
Locker ECU. Is this just the 4wd computer? Anything else?
The locker ECU is just a control module for the e-locker. It's a relatively simple module and you could easily make one if need be. Do a search on youatech.com and you should find lots of wiring diagrams for the e-locker.

Anyhow, let me know if you have any more questions :)
And good luck with the install.
Cheers,
P

#7 ·
P1michaud said:
Ryan,
Let's start by getting a bit more info. What year, model, engine is your truck?
What is your gear ratio, real important unless you plan on re-gearing the front as well? Are you going to buy a complete E-locking rear drum to drum?

I would suggest you do the install in 3 steps as follows:
1-Build your wiring harness/control module (i.e. have all the electronics sorted out before you start) and do some bench testing to make sure it all works. I spent about 6 to 8 hours doing the actual wiring and testing not counting the time spent rounding up supplies for this step.

2-Prepare the e-locking rear for installation then install it on the truck. This includes changing the diff oil, making sure the brakes are in good working order and all your seals don't seem to be leaking (all you can do there is a visual inspection unless you want to completely dismantle the new e-locking rear). Next install it on your truck. Just follow the link in my signature and I have a buch of pictures of the swap. Pretty straight forward. You might want to consider having some spare u-bolts for the leaf packs, rubber bump stops if yours are missing or bad as well as some spare brake lines. Don't forget the spare brake fluid. I spent about 3 hours preparing the new rear and another 4 to 5 doing the actual swap again not not counting the time spent rounding up supplies for this step.

3-Install the wiring harness/control module on your truck.
This step took the longest for me because I wanted everything to look professional and did not want to have to mess arround with this 3 months down the road. I spent about 8 hours installing all the wiring and control module.

The locker ECU is just a control module for the e-locker. It's a relatively simple module and you could easily make one if need be. Do a search on youatech.com and you should find lots of wiring diagrams for the e-locker.

Anyhow, let me know if you have any more questions :)
And good luck with the install.
Cheers,
P
Well, the truck is a 98 Tacoma with a 3.4 and an auto. I will be getting the complete rear axle but am having some trouble understanding exactly what you meant by building my own ECU. How do I do this? I was wondering if I could just get the ECU out of the rig I am pulling the axle from. Let me know. Thanks

RYan

#8 ·
More info

SAStoy said:
Well, the truck is a 98 Tacoma with a 3.4 and an auto.
In that case I would suggest doing a search about axle codes on this website and yotatech.com to determine what gear ratio your have. Like The Shocker pointed out start with this web page: http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/ If all else fails use the "spin and count" method. Easily done for peace of mind to confirm the info you find on line. I also belive that the more common gear ratio is 4:10.

SAStoy said:
I will be getting the complete rear axle but am having some trouble understanding exactly what you meant by building my own ECU. How do I do this? I was wondering if I could just get the ECU out of the rig I am pulling the axle from. Let me know.
Again refer to this webpage: http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/ and look at the pic at the bottom of the page. This is an electrical schematic of the ECU and you can easily build your own. This webpage: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/electric_locker/ also talks about it. If you can get the ECU out of the donor rig by all means do so!
Cheers,
P

#11 ·
the average price i got from junkyards for the rear axle with 4.10 like i currently have was about $700 w/o brake drums, and then wirring harness and accesories would be about $50+ and then sum even claimed i could not remove the axle myself b/c of insurance.... anyhow i have other stuff i want more than that, plus i make just enuf to make my truck payments, i dont need to spend no more than is neccesary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.