TTORA Forum banner

Disable DRL's

16K views 72 replies 40 participants last post by  007Tacoma 
#1 ·
Short Description: Disbale those day time running lights on your ?? - 2001 Tacoma.

Link: Disable URL's

See less See more
#5 ·
atwinda said:
Like it says in the article, I don't suggest this for anything over a 2001. It works, but the high beam light comes on when you start the truck, they will go off if you flick the high beams on and off.
Okay, thanks for the reply. The wife was asking about being able to shut hers off - will check with the yotatech guys or something.

#6 ·
blinking blue light

Will Revis said:
I did this mod today after knowing about it for 2 years. I have an 03 DC and yes the blue light blinks but I dont know why I never tryed it before. What a difference. Night and Day. haha
But, can you stop the blinking by activating and deactivating the high beams?

#7 ·
BigDaddyToy said:
But, can you stop the blinking by activating and deactivating the high beams?
yes sir.

I figure it's not that big a deal because it only blinks in the daylight and doesnt blind me like it would at night. At night I just turn on the lights and no blinking.

I guess its kind of annoying but being able to shut off my lights outweighs it.

#8 ·
Suh-weet!!! I asked how to do this on the old site and everyone replied like I was crazy that all their lights had to be turned on manually! I hate the day running lights simply because I like to run just the parking lights at dusk or in the rain but don't want the head lamps on and on my 01' this is not an option. I think I will get on that one here in a few days or so... Awesome tip, Thanks!!!

J

#10 ·
On my 2001, about 4 months after doing this mod the drl's quit working entirely. A few weeks before the hi-beam indi light had gotten to where it would never go off. Just curious - anyone else have this happen after doing the mod? Anyones drl's go out w/o doing the mod?

#11 · (Edited)
I finally took a few minutes to do this one... You couldn't be more correct about that damn day runner box being in a hard place to reach. Once I finally got the F'in plug out I still ended up screwing it up and pulled the wire out of the pin with it still in the plug. I just taped it off and figured I will never use those agian. I guess if I sold it I could figure something out.

Anyway, the good news is that (knock on wood) my blue high beam light does not come on like you guys all talk about. It did the very 1st time I cranked the truck but, not since.

And most important... I can turn my damn lights on and off as I please!!! I love runnibg with just my park lights... Stealth Mode!!! LOL!!!

I installed a pair of Silverstar bulbs as well. I like them but, they don't make any vast improvement over stock. It's cool for $40 though.

Later,

J

#15 ·
atwinda said:
What year truck do you have?

Looks like I spoke too soon! :( I noticed on the way home from work that the high beam does seem to come on. It's too dim to see during the day but, I could see it after dark.

Anyway, it's till one of my favorite mods so far! I thought I was special!!! :D

#17 ·
I'm not bashing anyone or trying to discourage, but I don't understand why anyone would want to totally disable there DRLs. Let me tell you a short story that may help explain why I feel so strongly against this idea. Two years ago, I was driving southbound on a two lane highway on a sunny summer afternoon. To my right was a hillside that shaded both lanes peroidically from the sunlight. A 4:35 pm I was hit head on at 45 mph by a Cadillac Deville. the impact was so intense that my '90 civic flipped completly over and landed on it's top. I suffer a broken collar bone, three ribs, both feet, left ankle, both wrists, and a left elbow. I also had multipule skull fractures and two broken veribrate, from where the car landed upside down. The driver of the other car broke his left sholder and was ejected from the car when it rolled into the ditch. There were no skidmarks. I spoke to the man a few weeks later and he said that he looked twice and never saw me until he was less than 30 ft away. He swore to me that my car simple "appeared" out of a shadow. I'm not writing to scare anyone but I hope that everyone will take into consideration that this accident might not have happened if my car had been equiped with DRLs. They are a great passive safety device that has very little cost and does not interfere with your ability to driver or off road. (I read the site, and I understand why they suggest the modification) Thankyou and I invite your feed back, MassiveAttack

#18 ·
MassiveAttack said:
I'm not bashing anyone or trying to discourage, but I don't understand why anyone would want to totally disable there DRLs. Let me tell you a short story that may help explain why I feel so strongly against this idea. Two years ago, I was driving southbound on a two lane highway on a sunny summer afternoon. To my right was a hillside that shaded both lanes peroidically from the sunlight. A 4:35 pm I was hit head on at 45 mph by a Cadillac Deville. the impact was so intense that my '90 civic flipped completly over and landed on it's top. I suffer a broken collar bone, three ribs, both feet, left ankle, both wrists, and a left elbow. I also had multipule skull fractures and two broken veribrate, from where the car landed upside down. The driver of the other car broke his left sholder and was ejected from the car when it rolled into the ditch. There were no skidmarks. I spoke to the man a few weeks later and he said that he looked twice and never saw me until he was less than 30 ft away. He swore to me that my car simple "appeared" out of a shadow. I'm not writing to scare anyone but I hope that everyone will take into consideration that this accident might not have happened if my car had been equiped with DRLs. They are a great passive safety device that has very little cost and does not interfere with your ability to driver or off road. (I read the site, and I understand why they suggest the modification) Thankyou and I invite your feed back, MassiveAttack
Not going to read your posts, but i have mine hooked to a cutoff switch for when i come home late at nite. My driveway angles the headlights right at the bedroom window.

Plus it helps for sneaking around for various covert ops

#20 ·
There are indeed a great number of reasons to keep your DRLs, but I and many other have chosen to disable them. I have paid for new headlights, and running them all the time does not sound so exciting. I also like the ability to turn them off in the fog and run only my fog lights (with the parking lights on of course). To each his own.

#22 ·
I too agree they are a saftey feature but, to me I would rather have the ability to control when my head lamps are on/off for various reasons none of them that important.

I still run my head lamps during the day when on the highway or if I feel I need to be seen, but other than that I love not having them on all the time. I guess the risk is worth it to me.

Later,

J

#25 ·
MassiveAttack said:
I'm not bashing anyone or trying to discourage, but I don't understand why anyone would want to totally disable there DRLs.....
Another reason why to disable them. DRLs powers up the headlights at partial power, I have HIDs. Installing HIDs without disabling the the DRLs is a no no. When the DRLs activate, it will cause the HIDs to flicker which is killer on the ballasts. DRLs are a good safety device but I rather have my HIDs than DRLs.

#26 ·
Well, I have to say that I see no reason to disable them either. It's a great safety feature in low light or dark areas like we have here on our roads in WV.
That being said my 01 SR5 doesn't have the DRL but I leave mine on all the time anyway and they go off when I open the door just like Kammina1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.