TTORA Forum banner

side steps for 05 Tacoma

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  siambxr 
#1 ·
i am looking for side steps for my 05 tacoma extend cab. i am wondering what looks the best and they look like on other members rigs.

#2 ·
Do you want STEPS or sliders? If you wheel your junk then I would get sliders, as I have personally seen side step bars get F-ed up wheeling, and F-ing up the truck because of it. I think many of them are made out of like .095 steel and the mounting/bracing on most is not sufficient for supporting the truck. You could have some sliders made that would be suitable to use as steps, and they would be functional for protecting your truck as well. My :2cents: - if you wheel even moderately hard, forget the steps, get sliders that will work as both.

#4 ·
i like the way the sliders look better and it doesnt stand out. thanks for the info and help. how hard is it to make the sliders yourself? it doesnt look too hard.

#5 ·
most definetley go with the sliders. i had the OE chrome steps,, they where on the truck when i bought it, i took them of and i'm having some sliders made right now. if you want the bling go with the steps. if you want steps and protection get the sliders. :2cents:

#6 ·
TacomaTRD05 said:
i like the way the sliders look better and it doesnt stand out. thanks for the info and help. how hard is it to make the sliders yourself? it doesnt look too hard.
Sliders aren't too hard to make yourself - if you have the proper tools and know-how. Here's my slider-build thread: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22838
If you know how to fab then sliders are one of those things that you might as well do yourself IMO. If not then you can buy some kick-ass sliders for your 05 from Demello or All-Pro.
One other option you might consider is the Trail-Gear sliders. For $145 you can get the main body of the slider (78" for xtra cabs) already made (shipped even). Then all you have to do is make up some brackets and weld the main slider body onto the brackets and legs (frame tappers). I don't know if the 78" would be quite long enough for an 05 though.....you might end up with bigger gaps between the tires and sliders than would be desirable. I think I ended up making my sliders 84" long (mine is a double-cab, but same wheelbase as your xtra cab I believe). I don't know, throw a tape on your truck and see where 78" would end up. If it would work, it would call for a minimal amount of fabrication (just the brackets), and all for only $145. If you dig weld-on, you would have no fab, besides cutting some plates to spread the load on the frame out. I just don't dig the whole weld-on thing :2cents: - that's a whole 'nother thread. Especially for a truck so new.

#7 ·
TacomaTRD05 said:
If you have a welder, tube bender, notcher, grinder access to tube and are comfortable with your welding skills not too hard. but why make them when you can buy them:)

#8 ·
thank you so much for your help. i am going to go with sliders. but i need to deside if i want to do them myself or have someone make them for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.