TTORA Forum banner

Frozen Toe Adjustment Cam-bolt (05 Taco)

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Hoss 
#1 ·
As the title indicates; its frozen inside the bushing. I sprayed it down twice a day for about a week with freeall and it wouldn't budge. Anybody have any new suggestions or am I going to have to cut it out? I could try heat but there is the chance I'd just destroy the bushing in the process.

As a side note; this problem was discovered after attempting an aligment following Camburg UCAs and OME 885s with the ToyTec Top Plate. The top plate has since been removed because caster remained maxed out regardless of the UCA's and downtravel was almost non-existent (althought cv boot fins were not touching; inner or outer).

#2 ·
impact gun, if it breaks, it breaks, you are thinking about cutting it out anyway.

Or you can take a longer pipe and fit over your rachet to create a "cheater bar" more leverage might do the trick. or again, you are thinking about cutting it out anyway.

#3 ·
ya.. dont cut it... breaker bar or impact should do it... or at least break it

#4 ·
Actually the cam would be you caster , camber adjustment. Toe is in the steering tie rod. The first time i had my 04 aligned the guy had a hell of a time breaking everything loose. Had to use long cheater bars. He said that was pretty normal with Toyota Trucks.

#6 ·
devinsixtyseven said:
If it's really a toe adjustment bushing I have no idea...

But if you're referring to the big cams in the lower control arms that float the arm to the frame, you're better off cutting them out, getting new bushings, cams and bolts and greasing them before they go in, because Toyota doesn't and that's why they freeze.

If the cam is frozen inside the sleeved bushing, the bushing may tear before the cam breaks loose. Even if it does, you still need to drop the arm, pull the cams out of the LCA and grease everything.
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the confusion, just going by what the 2005 factory service manual calls it: "front suspension toe adjustement cam sub-assembly". What the service manual calls a toe adjustment cam sub-assembly is seized inside the sleeved LCA bushing. I can get the bolt that holds everything together out but the cam is frozen.

The guys at the alignment shop tried impact and breaker bars with no luck. I don't have either at home; reckon I can find them and give it another shot. Probably just cut.

Sean, thanks for the advice on greasing. I was thinking about doing that next time I was under the truck to prevent this on the other 3 cams.

#5 ·
If it's really a toe adjustment bushing I have no idea...

But if you're referring to the big cams in the lower control arms that float the arm to the frame, you're better off cutting them out, getting new bushings, cams and bolts and greasing them before they go in, because Toyota doesn't and that's why they freeze.

If the cam is frozen inside the sleeved bushing, the bushing may tear before the cam breaks loose. Even if it does, you still need to drop the arm, pull the cams out of the LCA and grease everything.

-Sean

#7 ·
Yanno...you might be able to drill them out. I don't know if there's clearance to get a big drill under there, and you'd need a damn big bit and a variable speed drill on it's slowest setting, or one of the 850rpm DeWalts or equivalent...but you might be able to save the lower control arm bushings and it might be easier than cutting them out since you only need to drill past the slot in the frame.

If you cut them out, make sure you can get replacement bushings from Daystar or whoever, or a set of OEM replacements, sleeves, and cams.

Took me 45mins per cut, 8 cuts total, and 20$ for the day to rent a Sawzall.

If you try to drill them, Milwaukee makes excellent S&D-style bits. Don't trust anything MIC for this, I took two bits back to Lowes because they failed in freakish ways drill bits never should.

-Sean

#8 ·
Just ran into this today getting 05 aligned.

They are frozen solid. Impact, break-free, 5 foot cheater, heat, BFH, they won't fawkin budge.

Just FYI, I just checked and you can now get the individual parts for the lower control arm assy. Last time I checked, it was only sold as a complete assy for the 05's- arm, bushings, cam bolts, lower ball joint and all, but that's not the case now. So, that's good news.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.