TTORA Forum banner

3.4/ext cab swap

84K views 809 replies 62 participants last post by  slander 
#1 ·
Started the swap tonight, Russell and I started around 4, and had the cab off and motor ready to come out of my truck when Doug showed up around 6:15.

Doug and i got the cab situated, and everything moved around for some space to work. Got the 2.7 motor mounts cut off my frame (PITA BTW), and the 3.4 mounts cut off the frame section (i have pictures showing the differences, i'll get them posted up Sunday or so, along with all of the others).

Cutting the mounts off carefully (to not bend/damage them) was a huge pain in the ass, but I managed to get the task done. After a few more hours of work (and a pinched pinky later), Doug and i got the 3.4 lined up (transfer case x-member is in the same location, but the mount on the 3.4 t-case is wider) and the mounts tacked onto the frame.

Tomorrow I'll do the finish welding on the mounts, and get the 3.4 in (should be done by noon), then its onto the cab.

The cab is going to have to be notched to fit over the frame rails at the rear section, and the floor pan will have to be tubed to clear the gas tank. Also will have to figure out what I'm going to do for the filler neck so I do not have to run it through the cab.

Progress is going good, this is the biggest step. Cutting up the bed, and triangulating the shocks will be the easy work. I have to triangulate the shocks since where the new bed mount will be needs to be on the inside of the frame, right where the passenger shocks bolts to. The tabs are already on my axle, so all I need to do is get a cross member welded in and the degree set on each shock. For now I wont do a u-bolt flip, but it will happen down the road (probably not before moab, but whatever).

Just thought I'd post up some basic info, once everything is DONE and I have time to sit down and resize/edit/upload pics I'll get that done, along with all of the info, and step-by-step processes of the actual motor swap, and what needs to be done to the cab.

See less See more
#343 ·
Why would I be stuck on it in the first place? Wasnt my radiator :rolleyes:

Thats fine.

I'm not saying what happened will close the trail because of me, but it just gives the greenies something else to use as a tool for their army.

The gist of it is, brake failure and i slid off the road. Pretty cut and dry.

However, not too sure why you want to know so bad, guess you should of gone eh? :rolleyes:

#344 ·
The road Nate slid off on because of brake failure (and it was obvious his brakes failed, wasn't even holy cross . It was a county road (Missouri Creek) after HC - so he can legally claim insurance.

It was just so sad this happened to Nate after a tough day CV wise for him. He never asked for it and had a random (yet it has happened) brake failure. It sucked and for those of you who keep rubber necking (or asking ;) )- We were all SO glad he was fine after seeing the crash. It was horrible. So stop asking OK? If Nate wants to talk about it he will.

#346 ·
To top it off, I see swirl marks again! Damn, you just can't catch a break!
Meh.

Thats where I'm at with it now.

Fucking meh.

lol

EDIT for your EDIT:
I know your just givin me shit haha, I'll probably be taking you up on the bumper after i get all of the alignment/brake stuff figured out and the trucks driveable again.

I think i'll be going with moog stuff. I was going to get all new inner/outer TRE's through TRDPARTS4U but that's going to run me $400 so i think i'm passing on that.

however, i ordered a new mirror, and poly control arm bushings today.

#347 ·
+1 for nate!

Check out my new sig file though. Classic. Shitty... But Classic!

#350 ·
Damn Nate! Your truck looks a little like mine now :(

Im sorry to hear you had some shitty luck.

That crap has been going around a lot.

Hell over the last couple of days i have contemplated about just saying fuck it and parting out my truck. The poor thing went from a nice looking truck to a non steering rasin in two freeking weeks. Oh fucking well build it break it and then just break the fucking thing again!

Anyways,

Dont you have another DD? If so, i have heard you mention it, why dont you just start working up to the swap instead of spending 400$ bucks on parts that will first break and then need to be taken off anyway?

#354 ·
Shitty run of luck going around indeed! Wheeling gods are out to get us! lmao.

The truck is actually my true DD, even when the car is running.

But hey, if you decide to part your truck out, let me know. I can think of some running gear that would look mighty tasty under another black truck i know of! :dancing:

#352 ·
nate honestly i dont believe in vodoo or practice strange beliefs but you really need to go out dance in the rain with an upside down umbrella... sacrafice a chicken under a tire..... burn part of the old cab and fuck i dont know carry a rabbits foot???

really got a streak of bad luck!

hey at least i could tell what the damage was from! lmao!

if you need a hand with anything let me know

#353 ·
Ah yes but Ben didn't you suggest we sacrifice slow kid in the drinking thread?

I think I know how nate feels. But lord almightly not to the extent of that damned cv and hub being blown 4 times!!!!!

#356 ·
I think I know how nate feels. But lord almightly not to the extent of that damned cv and hub being blown 4 times!!!!!
It's a sign, warm up the plasma and the grinders :D

#358 ·
And shit $3500 + :rolleyes:

It'll get a straight axle somtime in the next couple of years, but right now is not the appropriate time financially for me to be doing so. Unfortunately, it'll have to wait. Although, I am slowly collecting parts here and there.

#363 ·
Hence the reason I wheeled a stock 85 truck for several years. I collected parts and saved my $$$ until I could build something all at once and the way I wanted it. If I had started to mod my 85 and wheel it harder, I wouldn't have my 84 4Runner where it's at today. I also stopped dumping $$$ into my Integra and autocross & road racing. Hard sacrifices to make at the time but it's worth it now :D

#359 ·
3500? where are you getting your #'s from? I guess you have to change the t-case. Nevermind.

#360 ·
have to buy/do all of the following:
dual cases, tranny, gussets, built 3rd (locked, geared, etc.), longfields, rotated knuckles, gussets, bearings, seals, hubs, brakes, alcan leafs (f/r), shackles(f/r), shocks(f/r), shock hoops, ifs box, frame plates, hysteer, etc. etc.

I've ran the #'s a few times on the way i want things done, and it's roughly $3500-$4000 which doesnt even touch wheels/tires after its swapped. Just the 3rd alone is roughly $1500 after an arb if i go that route, i could save some money and just lunchbox it again but i'm kind of over the non selectable front.

To me it makes absolutely no sense to just put a stock toy axle under the front of my truck. Just my :2cents: though.

#364 ·
NOOOOOO! He'll wander out into the streets, down to foco, and lose his body. His head will come back to you though. :neener:

#375 ·
I think 3 of us have already tried to break Ikes truck. how many colors is your drivers side anyways these days. I know it has a little blue on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.