TTORA Forum banner

Mike's Rubicon Trip and Other Stuff

13K views 194 replies 38 participants last post by  blown4runner 
#1 ·
Just got home from an awesome trip. Got to meet lots of new people, and got to see some old friends I haven't seen in a long time.

My goal was achieved.... With the new crapshit forest service restrictions I was really concerned that a few of us would get cited for being off the "trail". Nobody got cited, and we all got where we were going with only a few minor snags.

To my SoCal and AZ friends.... I had absolutely nothing to do with the truck painting and toilet antics. I'm a good sport though, the flat tires didn't bother me. When I'm out wheeling it's all good! I do want one of those Dick shirts though! :D

To the Toyota and ARB guys.... nice wheeling with you and nice to see an FJC cruise that trail with barely a scratch! Might want to get some better SWAG to give out to the people doing surveys though! I hope you left the norcalttora.com sticker on the back window! :D

To the yellow FJC owner.... welcome to TTORA. Next trip out, hang out with the slow people in the back who are willing to help you not smash up your rig. Traffic jams are a part of wheeling the Rubicon, but lots of your carnage could have been avoided!

To my NorCal friends, good times as always! Dean and Dick and I were sitting up at the "best campsite ever" this morning contemplating not ever going home.

Pics here:

http://www.norcalttora.com/gallery/rubicon_06

Later,
....Mike

See less See more
#29 · (Edited)
Prowler said:
Really, there were some good guys who helped, not complaind, and bitched about ther precious time, Besides perhaps you should ask why people do the things they do. I was told to follow Andy, he didn't bother to tell me there was a easeir way, remember I had never been on the trail. I told people that upfront. I would have loved to gained some experience on a easer trailI sure didn't get any instructions from you. and the strap I'm sorry ok I thought I met the minimium requirements set by the rules of the trail, and the handout I received And by the way I may be an old fart but I'm not stupid, if I thought foe two seconds you wouldn,t use your insurance well then we know who the studid one is don't we? For those who helped I appricate all they did, and if they did it begrugedly,I'm sorry again. I offered many times to be pulled off the trail because of the badgering I was receiving but I was told don't listen to those people keep going. So perhaps your group should make up your mind as what you do with an ill perpared, non experienced old fart, who has a FJ with a faulty rear end. just trying to keep up. Next time make sure only invite people you know, and you know their equipment and have been over that trail. Then you only have to fight among friends.
man, i haven't met you but i don't need to to figure out that you're quite the douchebag. we all hear stories about that fool who buys a shiny new rig, throws money at it, and think you automatically can wheel. do yourself a favor and stop being "that guy". we got enough posers round here.

ps-it really wasn't your rig, it was the driver. your truck was more than set up for the rubicon.

#31 ·
mrbigbri said:

Dang... what the hell happened there?

Brian
simple.

driver error

#32 ·
yeah..wasnt the blue fj that toyota tested at the con bone stock. im from southern california and the con is one of the most revered trails in california if not the most..i would think that someone would have taken the time to look up some trail pictures and trail reviews and see what they are getting into. it wasnt the vehicle. ive seen people less equipped get through it, but thats with the help of others (kinda like the help that people on this board offer)

#34 ·
Yes that bear was pissed off because the fucking FJ Cruiser has no fucking business on any off road trail whatsoever. Just because Toyota lies and says it is suitable for the trails doesn't make it so. Even their POS blew up a rear end before it was over. In reality the FJ is nothing more than a POS H3 with a different grill. Suitable for getting the groceries and maybe getting to the ski slopes in winter but that is about the extent of it. Actually with the shitty rearward vision it has, it isn't even suitable for the pavement.
In my mind the FJ Cruiser is a perfect example of dishonest marketing excess and that is all it is. In fact they may have actually exceeded the H2 & H3 in that respect. In an H3 ad I saw this morning it made no pretense of trail worthiness and had a hausfrau driving one to the market. I think maybe they need to rethink FJ Cruiser marketing and should offer a spinner option, instead of offering 4WD.

If they have half a fucking brain, Toyota will pull that POS off the market right now before it lands their asses in court with a massive class action law suit. In a way I sort of hope it does. Then maybe they will either get back to building honest vehicles again or STFU, build their mall runners and market them as such. Either way I'm fine with it but what they are doing now is just plain wrong.

#36 ·
How is it that you're turning this into your insurance company? What you did was an intentional act and not accidental. Truth be told, I'm sure it's not covered nor should it be. Besides stealing time from all the folks who's vacation you recked, are you now going to steal from everyone by helping jack up insurance rates? Are you aware that insurance fraud is a felony in this state? The evidence on this site alone is enough to put a smile of Bubba's face you moron.

BTW I am an old fart too and not some pissed off kid. I can't figure out how you have manged to live so long and not have pick up more than you have along the way.
Speaking of kids, the one you had with you needs several trips out behind the woodshed. He's a disrespectful little foul-mouthed shithead who also contributed to ruining a good time for many folks on the run. I heard that he was even hassling one of the ladies trying to relive herself on the trail.
Maybe you should just stick to the pavement until you and your family learns how to behave and be a little more considerate of others. Being that you are the age you are, maybe it's just too late for you. How about coin or stamp collecting instead?

#37 ·
mrbigbri said:
thats fucking hillarious! anyone else have some pics of his "rig?".
why didn't someone actually stop him or not help him destroy his truck more- especially if he and his kid were being shits?
i would have hated to be on a trip with that going on; even more so, i would have.. hell, lets just say i hope to high hell id never put myself in a situation like he did.
hats off for the "respect" and "helpfullness" some of yall showed on the trail, you're a better man than i would'a been!

so, would it be a fradulent insurance claim? it irks me to no end that someone can do that, WILLINGLY, to their vehicle and have insurance cover it- making OUR rates increase. that's bullshit. please tell me someone is going to contact his insurance, or....

#38 ·
Dick Foster said:
How is it that you're turning this into your insurance company? What you did was an intentional act and not accidental. Truth be told, I'm sure it's not covered nor should it be. Besides stealing time from all the folks who's vacation you recked, are you now going to steal from everyone by helping jack up insurance rates? Are you aware that insurance fraud is a felony in this state? The evidence on this site alone is enough to put a smile of Bubba's face you moron.

BTW I am an old fart too and not some pissed off kid. I can't figure out how you have manged to live so long and not have pick up more than you have along the way.
Speaking of kids, the one you had with you needs several trips out behind the woodshed. He's a disrespectful little foul-mouthed shithead who also contributed to ruining a good time for many folks on the run. I heard that he was even hassling one of the ladies trying to relive herself on the trail.
Maybe you should just stick to the pavement until you and your family learns how to behave and be a little more considerate of others. Being that you are the age you are, maybe it's just too late for you. How about coin or stamp collecting instead?
:clap: :clap: :clap: Yay for The Dick :D

#42 ·
tacodab said:
when "don't" you say what you really think :):)
actually...he never filled out the Toyota questionair nor did he unload on the two Toyota guys...missed a golden opportunity, IMO

#43 ·
Dick Foster said:
Maybe I should have just said what I really thought. LOL

Hey Dick, I didn't even get to make the trip but still share many of your opinions on the subject. As I stated in another thread, said driver of the yellow FJ needs to try and drive it off a cliff since the Tacoma adds show it surviving that too. :rolleyes: As for the marketing companies, either they are getting way better at their job or the general public is getting a whole lot more stupid. It seems that most people believe what ever is spewed forth from the *magic* electro-box with ah-mov'n pictures. Shameful. Oh and I bet he will hire Matlock or that lady from Murder She Wrote for his *lawyer'n* should it come to that.

#44 ·
yogiaz said:
<<FJ has a straight axle under it >>

I dont think that would have even helped. my friend from AZ Tbob wheeled his IFS truck with 33's and also has a huge ass camper shel through the con with no scratches or mechanical damage what so ever. It can be done if you are a responsible driver.

Yogi
Agreed!! I too made it through on IFS and 33's with no body damage and only a bent tie rod towards the end of the trail due to a little carelessness.

#46 ·
Dick Foster said:

The Dick FTW!

*that means "For The Win" in case your to old to know your interweb lingo.* :flipoff4:

#50 ·
tacodab said:
it pays to be a good driver :) :)
It also helps to listen to your spotter. Thanks to "MERLIN", Corey and Peter (got me wedged between two rocks) who did most of the spoting for my truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.