TTORA Forum banner

Most reliable tacoma

11K views 67 replies 32 participants last post by  knuckleduster271 
#1 ·
Which year tacoma would you say is the most reliable? Im thinking of building up a Lt truck up and I know some of the newer tacomas have weaker frames

#2 ·
personally i like the bigger ones, but i know the 1st gen tacos are bomb!! they last forever and you can get parts anywhere

#5 ·
Well the 05+ Tacomas are gonna be more reliable as of right now because there new, but the olders ones are great too. It is just a matter of how much money you have to spend, im building up my 06 right now but would love to have an older one too because there smaller and built better for offroad.

#7 ·
:lmao:

#8 ·
I will never forget the thread about navyseals101 thinking of saving HP by removing his AC and crafting himself an AC suit made of tinfoil, ductape and ice or someshit. Oh ya he wanted to use the AC vents to stash drugs in..

OH LOOK! HERE IT IS!
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41843

#9 ·
Get a '98 T-100 4x4 if you want a solid assed frame. That's what I want.. just can't find a nice one.

Those trucks are fuckin sick!

#18 ·
^ Im sure the idea is still plausible, 12 bags of ice is unrealistic.

The volume of 1 bag of ice would most likely be sufficient to keep you suit cool for atleast 1 race.A pump pumping water through tubing Would weigh a hell of alot less than an AC unit, You might not get more Hp. As I originally may have stated

#20 ·
Anyone else have some opinions on which year is the best/most reliable? I've got a friend interested in a 2000 or older Tacoma. I drive a 2007 and can't really advise him on which year models he should focus his search on, and also if there are any model years that should be avoided. What makes your favorite year model your favorite?

#37 ·
I love my '97(2.7 4x4), its treated me very well over the last 180k miles. In fact Im still on my original clutch and rear brake shoes/drums

Im a bit of an over achiever as far as maintenence goes, but repair wise the only things Ive had to repair/replace is one alternator(caused by temecula socalttora mud pit racing!), 2 batteries, 2 sets of starter contacts, front brake pads twice and rotors once.

not bad for a 10 year old truck.

my wifes 99 (3.4 4x4) has been equally reliable with the exception of her steering rack went tits up at about 120k miles. which is weird cause her truck is a stock pavement pounder and mine is the one that we take wheelin.

#23 ·
i think there all reliable, every year has its quirks, but so does every truck.
theres no way to really know, just buy one, your gonna have to replace parts no matter what.

#26 ·
its not bad advice. every truck is different, if you already know the
magic answer for your question that you seem to be asking and answering yourself, im very happy for you.

#31 ·
1. Use the quote function.
2. I don't have power windows or locks, but my '83 GMC Sierra had them and they never gave me a problem; that truck was 20 years old. The window and lock electronics on Toys/Lexus are very reliable, more so than the mechanical bits accompanying them.
3. You're dumber than a bag of hammers.

#30 ·
Not flaming you, but we buy new taco's becasue we CAN. Our mom's are not regulating our purchasing/spending habits. Why do you think that people are doing SAS...it is not because they like the "old" roll up windows or no ac. They do it for the modern creature comforts of a newer vehicle and the solid axle.

#33 ·
my mom isnt regulating myn either fuck tard. She thinks she can but she has no say over what I do with MY money. I know what SAS. Im not talking about SAS im talking about reliability of Tacomas as they start integrating more and more electronic fly by wire type stuff into them

#32 ·
i read somewhere that a 03 4runner with the v6 4.0 went up to 150,000, and it was still running good. i agree with all the electronic shit on my truck. i realy dislike the on the fly 4wd and the electronic throttle body, but i think if u take care of it, it'll last. luckily i haven't heard of any of these things failing.

#41 ·
:lmao: Thats not funny :lmao:

#39 ·
You can argue all day about which is the most reliable, but for the sake of a LT set up i would go with either a 1st gen taco, or a pre-Taco pickup, because if you are using that LT set up for more then showing off in the parking lot then your truck is going to take a beating, and regardless of the reliability you're going to break things and it will cost less to fix an older truck.

#53 ·
#49 ·
Who gives a shit about power or crank windows when you have an ice cooled, new fangled moon-man suit :withstup: ! Fuck it........................... knock the windows out :jack: !!!!

#50 ·
I see how it is, Im saying its pretty much safe to say the new tacos arent as reliabily as the older ones now i have a bunch of white colored executives who have probably never been off roading in their life come and flame me because i insulted there 30,K+ purchase

#52 ·
I see how it is, Im saying its pretty much safe to say the new tacos arent as reliabily as the older ones now i have a bunch of white colored executives....
Uhmmm...no. It's not safe to say that. The new ones are to new to rate reliability long term. I'm know there are some 4.0's ('03 runners)that have eclipsed the 100k mile mark, but most haven't, to early to tell.

...and what the hell does race have to do with this...oh I'm sure you're very high Q meant white-collared:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.