Votes: 6 25.0%
  • 2005+ Tacoma

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • 1998-99 2dr Tahoe

Votes: 2 8.3%

My next ride

7K views 59 replies 19 participants last post by  Interex 
#1 ·
Well, I verbally sold my truck this afternoon and am awaiting deposit right now.........

SOOOOOOOOO, I need to get something to replace it and I have narrowed my list of vehicles I want. It's really hard to find a perfect vehicle...

So here's my list in no particular order

1- 2007 Tundra Sport reg cab 4x4 with 5.7

2-2005+ Tacoma Sport 4x4

3-1998-1999 Tahoe 2dr Sport

I think this pretty much sums up my list. Obviously the first two are the most expensive options and i have always loved the look of the 2dr tahoes.
I have owned three Tacomas and two full sized Chevies so I'm fine either way. I guess I'm looking for a sway in any direction

#2 ·
How about a VW beetle. It's got a spot for a vase. You can put pretty little flowers in there!!! :)

Ok, just messing with you man. I vote for either yota. I like Chebbies too, but that Toyota quality is something that I just can't get away from...

#3 ·
Sad to see that very capable truck leave. I'm sure its going to very capable hands.

Steve, with school and your other needs, its your vehicle man; go with what you want. It's your gas money and your DD. It all depends on what your main use is man. Personally, I would buy the 05 Taco but its ur money man.

GL, go for broke, but don't go broke!
Jose

#6 · (Edited)
i thought you were selling your truck because of the poor gas mileage and it being too expensive for a student? yet your choices here dont seem to be any improvement over that. is money and mileage still a concern? because it looks to me you will be gaining little improvement in mileage/economy that will also be completely negated by a new huge car payment. so whats the scoop? between these choices the new taco is maybe the most economical.

#7 ·
My Tacoma was more suited for a weekend warrior. You are right, my choices may not seem more economical at first, but I'm not just talking about fuel economy.
With my Tacoma, I had alot of maintenance to keep up with like replacing broken parts and upgrading said broken parts and it turns into a cycle of spending all my money on this truck that has turned into a trail beast and less of a daily driver. It's hard to go wheeling in a truck like that and not push yourself to the limit. That being said, it always turns into something breaking and something else needing to be upgraded.You always find that little something that can be improved and then spend the next several days cutting,welding, and spending every last dollar only to find that the next weak link needs the same attention. These are not good qualities of a good daily driven vehicle.

I still plan to do some light wheeling whenever I can find the time. I just don't have the time to keep after a truck that requires alot of attention. THe reasons I'm considering something new is
-Warranty
-Longevity
-peace of mind
If I go with the new Tundra, I will have a fat down payment with the sale of my truck. I have already talked to the dealer and with 5,000 off MSRP and 0% financing, I don't think my payment will be so rediculous. THey are claiming up to 20 MPG with the setup I want so I don't think it's so horrible on fuel either. Plus, by the time I graduate with my engr degree, I will have a really sweet tow rig to pull whatever I decide to build once I'm actually an engineer

#18 ·
If I go with the new Tundra, I will have a fat down payment with the sale of my truck. I have already talked to the dealer and with 5,000 off MSRP and 0% financing, I don't think my payment will be so rediculous. THey are claiming up to 20 MPG with the setup I want so I don't think it's so horrible on fuel either. Plus, by the time I graduate with my engr degree, I will have a really sweet tow rig to pull whatever I decide to build once I'm actually an engineer
well that sounds like a game plan. i say go for it then!

#9 ·
Truck

As long as it's something Toyota...You'll be ALLRIGHT:xbeer1:
I'll lend a hand:kewl:
I think the new trucks are doing good.

If it's not...Yer on Yer Own:mad:

#10 ·
first off the tahoe that style is going to be alot of up keep. I like those tahoes but there not nearly as little work and reliable as a toyota.

I would say either:
1.New Tacoma
2. Or go for a 04 used double cab or extended cab. Get a warranty with it.
you'll get what you want
1. cheaper then an 05+
2.Better gas mileage (with the smaller engine)
3. and still the toyota reliability

The problem is not that you had to keep replacing parts the problem is you wheeling the crap out of it lol!!!

#11 ·
i vote keep your truck cause you will regret it. or get the tundra so you have something to tow the trail rig you will end up buying when you get the itch. the tahoe will do it but i have had bad luck towing with tahoes. 1. killed my mom's tranny in her 96 4dr tahoe. 2. killed my sisters distributor cap, in her 96 2 dr tahoe (cheap fix) causing a bad miss, running on 6 cylinders, horrible mileage and burned a hole in the exhaust, causing eye burning gas fumes. but it is a sweet ride on at's with some glasspacks and good power.

#12 ·
Chevy's notoriously have bad transmissions, and they just seem to be so cheaply made. I have the 05 tundra and I love it. Gets much better fuel economy than my tacoma ever did (even in its stock form). I am a little biased towards it now, after having owned both. HOWEVER, do you really need a full size truck? What are you going to tow with it? How often will you be towing this thing? I think the Tacoma is probably a better fit for your needs, but thats my opinion

#13 ·
I know the chevies have some weak points, but they are pretty reliable and are damn cheap to fix when stuff does go wrong. Not my first choice, but I really liked the ones I previously owned. The only reason I put it on my list is because I have been driving my grandpas '99 around alot lately and it's really a nice ride.

I like the Tacomas, but the fuel economy is roughly the same as the Tundras and they are also about the same price. That 5.7 really puts you deep in the seat when you hit the gas and the brakes are amazing as well. The wheelability is better with the Tacoma, but I don't know how much hardcore wheeling I will be doing for the next couple years.

I know I will regret selling the Tacoma for awhile, but I really believe that I can build something better in the future and keeping this one will prevent that from ever happening.

#15 ·
I like the Tacomas, but the fuel economy is roughly the same as the Tundras and they are also about the same price. That 5.7 really puts you deep in the seat when you hit the gas and the brakes are amazing as well.
the financing goes deep in your wallet too, but those tundras are sweet....

#17 ·
The upside of the Tundra is the financing offer right now. If they had that when I was looking I wouldnt be driving an 05! I will vouch for the power in the v-8, while I dont have new and improved big V-8, mine will hold its own. 0-100 is pretty quick, I dont usually get the chance to time it when I have the occassion to run that fast, but it will get out from under you if you arent ready. The only drawback I have found thus far is the small ass tires that come stock on them, but that can be remedied. Just keep us updated on your decision. If you need any help locating a specific truck let me know, I have 2 good dealers here pretty close. I know the owner of one (doesnt really help the price, unfortunately) and the other is one from whom my family has bought multiple vehicles in the past. Let me know if I can help

#19 ·
If all you want is a reliable DD with warranty, then keep your Taco and get a Corolla, Camary, Scion, or anything reliable with warranty. You could find a cheap finance if you get a car with just the bear necessities. Keep your taco as a weekend Mall warrior or strictly a trail rider. Seek a ye shall find.
If you’re set on selling the Taco, then get the Tundra. Sounds like you have it all planned out pretty good. If you say you can get the about the same mileage and for about the same price as the 05 Taco, then get the Tundra. You'll be set as far as having a work horse to tow your future trail rig. While you get the rig, you'll be riding shotgun.

#24 ·
You are right, but that is the incentive that everyone gets. THey will budge about 2,000 off the MSRP for a total of 5,000 off. As I was walking out he said he could do the 0% financing as well. This was at Fred Haas in Spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.