TTORA Forum banner

I FINALLY got it installed!

5K views 50 replies 24 participants last post by  02tacotim 
#1 ·
After having it sitting in my garage since the first week of August 05 I finally got this installed.

I've got it clocked at 30 degrees, you do this by selecting which holes you want to use on the adapter plate for the crawler, you can achieve this MULTIPLE ways, I chose the simplest way, the crawler goes in at zero degrees or "straight" up and down, since clocking it did not provide any clearance at all.

So after choosing the holes and clocking setting you then plug up all the unused holes as per instructions on Inchworm's site.

I chose to then just go with the 30 degrees clocking position for the transfercase and it worked well with my 2 inch body lift. Without it one would have to pound a bit more than I did for certain, but it is doable.

Now, I really like the products I've gotten from Brian at Front Range Off Road, he is a stand up man of character and has solid business practices, and since my other transfer case crossmember was so STOUT, I called him and told him I need one that clocked, he said I don't have one as of now, let me call you in a couple days. 2 days later I got the auto cad drawings of what he designed and a week later he sent me this......

It comes in 3 pieces and requires some trimming of excess metal which you can only determine after you know how much clocking you are or are not gonna do and the exhaust location in relation to the whole finished install. The crossmember is very versatile.
Here it is installed......

A minor bit of grinding/clearancing for exhaust. ( pic is with temp autozone exhaust fixer pipe )

Here you can see directly in the top center the shifter for the crawler and down the left and back a bit you can make out the transfer case shifter in its clocked position 30 degrees away from where it used to be.

So,..... now that I have all that new clearance, about 3.75 more inches of it as I did lift my drive train up about 1" higher when I mounted my crossmember, I needed something to protect all the nice soft aluminum. To do this I employed Justin, the guy who built my bumper, and he came up with a great skid that is about .25" below the drive stuff so as not to rub and only hangs below the frame about 1.25-1.5 inches. As you can see here I am almost completely flat.

Here is the skid......

Nice flush counter sunk allen head screws for no snagging.

It has several gusset arms on the inside to stiffen it up after cutting the hole for drive shaft movement and access to the flange for removal. It is made of 3/16ths as 1/4 would have weighed way too much, it is very solid and stiff. Since I had some serious dents and a bulge and bend in my frame, we went ahead and plated the underside and most of the inside of the frame. I have also procured over the last couple months some new rims, that at this time are way too shiny and in need of some rock rash and dirt and corrosion to de-bling them. They are 17x10's. I also decided to try some 40" Irok radials, oh what a joy it is to not be riding on the street anymore on flat spot riddled SX's. There are much skinnier than I like but they are nice and if I don't have a ton of rubbing issues, I'll probably stick with this size.
Here is one copared to a 37" Irock radial to give you and idea of just how TALL they are and as stated, disappointingly skinnier than my 37x12.5 I used to run.

Notice how nothing hangs below the frame?! Oh what a GOOD DEAL!

See less See more
#28 ·
shovelracer said:
Can you post the link to the instructions on the inchworm site? When I did mine there wheren't any so I did a writeup on it, and jim said he would put it on the site. Just curious if he used mine, I looked, but didn't find it. You made a good choice. They are a great company.
I bought this last year and he sent me links to private pages with instructions that were new and not yet followed. During the install there were some "problems" with the instructions and he is aware of them and is supposed to make the corrections, but being in buz for yourself often keeps stuff like that on the to do list for quite a while.

#29 ·
elliot_irwin said:
was your truck in 4wd and sport utility mag im sure i saw it in there wheeling with other tacomas somewhere in California

by the way diamond axle is the way to go
Yes it was, we were on the Dusy run last Aug. when that was taken, and my crawler was at home waiting for me to put it in.

#30 ·
shovelracer said:
Can you post the link to the instructions on the inchworm site? When I did mine there wheren't any so I did a writeup on it, and jim said he would put it on the site. Just curious if he used mine, I looked, but didn't find it. You made a good choice. They are a great company.
did you get my PM? your writeup isn't in the FAQ section but the title is :confused:

#31 ·
Captkirkyota said:
Yes it was, we were on the Dusy run last Aug. when that was taken, and my crawler was at home waiting for me to put it in.
wow, didn't know about that...what issue?

#32 ·
hytenor said:
did you get my PM? your writeup isn't in the FAQ section but the title is :confused:
No I never saw it. I just checked it and the title is there. If you click on the dual cases title it used to take you to the download site. I checked and it has reached it's maximum downloads count. I relisted the link to my web site. Not sure how long that will allow the downloads.

So if you know how to move the hyperlink to the title page let me know. Or go ahead and change it.

So from the info above I figured out how this thing went together on my own, when the whole time there was a set of instructions I could have used? :confused: Oh well, at least I can do it in my sleep now.

#33 ·
hytenor said:
yea, we need to see one in a v6 truck ;) I think he went ahead and put the 5.9s in the runner hoping to prove that 4.7s would be fine with an AT Tacoma v6. now all he needs is another guinea pig, LOL Tim Kemp was gonna get one but funding dried up :(

ditto on the ebrake question from Brian...what did you do?

Shhhhhh, that was supposed to be our little secret. :) If I don't have to pay taxes, I may just take Jim up on his offer and guinea pig for him. I drove Jon's truck with stock crawler gears, 5.29s in the diffs and it was pleanty low, but I wouldn't mind going lower. Then again, I'm running 37s, not freaking 40s!!!! You are the man Kirk!!!

Tim

#34 ·
Timbuddha said:
Shhhhhh, that was supposed to be our little secret. :) If I don't have to pay taxes, I may just take Jim up on his offer and guinea pig for him. I drove Jon's truck with stock crawler gears, 5.29s in the diffs and it was pleanty low, but I wouldn't mind going lower. Then again, I'm running 37s, not freaking 40s!!!! You are the man Kirk!!!

Tim
so, sell your wife already, LOL

#37 ·
awsumdc said:
Very nice job. It looks really good. Saw your truck in sport utility mag. COOOL!
I saw that too :D :kewl:

#40 ·
seth_js said:
Or this:

-Seth
O come on...some hammerin' and some duct tape and you'd be on your way. :p

#42 ·
02tacotim said:
How the hell did you do that Hytenor?

Tim
hmm, for a trail-fix to at least get you off the trail? put on the spare, LOL

:p signifies 'joke'

but, I would not be surprised if someone hasn't taken a rim like that 2nd one and made it work enough to limp back to the tow rig.
you can read about some of the wildest 'trail-fixes' on Pirate every now and then...like taking a rag and soaking it with a whole tube of silicone and then stuffing it into a 3" gash on a sidewall. got him off the trail and back to his trailer ;)

#44 ·
Any issues with oiling? I would think that oil might spill out the shifter...

I am trying to decide between this and Marlin's. I would really like the additional ground clearance.

#45 ·
Albuquerque Jim said:
Any issues with oiling? I would think that oil might spill out the shifter...

I am trying to decide between this and Marlin's. I would really like the additional ground clearance.
Jim and I figured out all the oil leak fixes and incorporated them into the install. contact him @ Inchworm ;)

#46 ·
hytenor said:
Jim and I figured out all the oil leak fixes and incorporated them into the install. contact him @ Inchworm ;)
Sweet, I will look into Inchworm. Thanks,

#48 ·
Captkirkyota said:
Had I had the bigger single cat that is farther up front it would have been great, I moved the cat and the sensor forward and got check engine lights every couple days. I moved just the sensor back to where it was and got the light again. I reset it again, bought premium and put it some super concentrated fuel injector cleaner on the next 2 tanks, and so far, 13 days, it has not come back on. Other than that it was a typical install with the " oh dang we did not think of that stuff " that came up and little things that were easy to deal with. I am not sure what my final crawl ratio is , since I don't know what the gear ratio in an auto tranny are, but I went with 2.28 stock gears in the crawl box, an when I put on the brake it flexes open my rear springs before it stops. lol
I think it would be better just a TINY bit lower, but they don't make 2.9-3.2 gear sets, as I think any lower would be too low.
I believe you got the CEL for your oxygen sensors. Premium and and super concentrated fuel injector clean won't do anthing for that. Hope you change your oil have going through the injector cleaner.

If you want to remove your cat, you can use this for the rear cat.
http://www.urdusa.com/index.php?cPath=66_65&osCsid=b192338d28f8ceef10ad8721d40cf3da

#49 ·
Super Doody said:
Hope you change your oil have going through the injector cleaner.
:confused: Not sure what you are trying to say here. Elaborate?

#50 ·
PappaF2 said:
just don;t do this: :eek:

actually I have had minor thoughts myself of going back to AL rims, (mostly to reduce rotating mass) only if I could find some cheap ass used ones though. :D
What size do you need? I have some 16x8 American racing Aluminum wheels I need to sell.

Let me know if you are interested? (pm me for best results)

#51 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.