TTORA Forum banner

Failed rear end list in the 05/06 Tacoma

138K views 333 replies 119 participants last post by  bluet 
#1 · (Edited)
No one else has started a list of exact specs yet of who has had a rear end fail in the new (05/06) Tacoma so I figured I would make it easy for some one to find if they needed to bollster a case against Toyota. So here are the details.

1. Post your year and model (standard pkg, SR5, TRD sport, TRD offroad)
2. Size tires you were running at time of failure
3. Mileage at time of failure
3. Activities surrounding failure of rear end (wheeling, burn out, normal driving, etc.)

I think this would be a good source for anyone who has a new or old failure and needs support with arbitration or leverage at the stealership, Servco or with Toyota Motor Corp. Mods if you feel like this should be a sticky for the late tacoma folder or whatever than please move it where you see fit. Just trying to help out.

IF YOUR POST DOES NOT MEET THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS OR IS NOT HIGHLY RELEVANT THAN IT WILL BE DELETED. This list is being formulated to help those individuals who have had a failure of their rear end and not to discuss it. Look for the post by Metu05 if you'd like to discuss it.

Tim

See less See more
#222 ·

build date on the sticker was in 2004 :(

#227 ·
Hoped I'd never join this thread but as of today I now belong here too. Here's my info....
1. 2007 SR5 V6 6speed w/limited slip
2. Running 255/75/17 (32") BFG m/t's
3. About 40,850 miles
3. In 4low, went to back up from the powder on the edge of a snow covered access road to a communications tower, on a slight incline, gave it a little gas and heard a loud "BANG!" then it continued to do it every 15 feet or so. Pulled rear drive shaft to take load off and limp off the mountain road w/power from front wheels. As soon as I got to the bottom it temporarily locked. Had to be towed in to town/dealer. It happened this afternoon and didnt get it to the dealer til after they closed, now to find out what they say tomorrow....

#228 ·
Heres an update: Dealer tore out the third member and this is what they found.....

Yes, thats pieces of ring gear on the floor in the background. Sorry for the crappy cell pics.

#230 ·
Waiting to hear from them on that..... Cant see how they wouldn't though. It looks pretty obvious it wasn't due to abuse or improper maintenance.

#231 ·
Bought my 06 open prerunner in March 09, 65000 on the odometer. One month later, rear seal blew & Diff seized on I-5 Headin to San Diego, Running 255/75/17 (32") Yoko Geo m/t's. Dealer covered that & complete rebuild on tranny from backlash. Scariest 30 sec of my life! Any one else had an open diff up & blow? Toyota covered it, but with factory parts only.

#232 ·
gear failure due to defect and failure due to oil starvation are different animals :p but, that is the 3rd 'new' Taco rear that has blown a rear seal or had the nuts loosen and empty the diff that have been posted in the last few months.

It might be a good idea to put a sticky in the '05+ tech folder for everyone to check the torque on their diff nuts...or, better yet...add some blue locktite and torque them.
TRD elocker: 8mm studs/nuts 18#
8.4 open or LSD: 10mm studs/nuts 54#

anyone who wheels their truck on a regular basis should be checking bolts/nuts every trip ;)

#233 ·
Heard from the dealer today. Getting an entire new 3rd member swapped in and should be done tomorrow afternoon. :headbang:

#234 ·
Yeah< i Check EVERYTHING now before I go out. Just suprised that the diff blew before I even had a chance to wheel. Is there a difference in open & locked diffs as far as gear material? I'm thinkin of having the rear redone when I get everything to do the 4x4 conversion. Any recomendations from y'all in SoCal? Unitrax any good?

#240 ·
are you sure it's the diff? the problem child is the elocker diff, not the 8.4 or open/LSD.

#241 ·
I won't be 100% until I drain the fluid and look for metal, then pull the 3rd member and inspect for damage. It bucks lightly when under load and through conrners upon takeoff. We were just at the dealer and hade the 100k tranny flushed and there wasnt anything in the tranny filter so we ruled the tranny out of the equation.

Aaron

#242 ·
that assumes they didn't fark up the tranny ;)
if you've blown a rear diff, bucking is not a symptom. BANG! BANG! BANG! with that buck IS a symptom ;) that would be a broken tooth or two.
bad bearings make all kinds of racket...impossible to miss.

#243 ·
#244 ·
1. 2009 Tacoma DC TRD Off Road
2. 285/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs
3. 12,000ish
4. I was driving up a big, rutted, sandstone hill in 4lo. It was a difficult hill but nothing that should have grenaded the diff. I had ATRAC on but the locker was not engaged. One big loud pop and that was it. Clunk, clunk, clunk when driving a few feet to test it out. Removed the rear drive shaft to get it back to the road. It continued to clunk. Had it towed to the dealership.

Toyota replaced it under warranty. No questions asked. Good guys at my local dealership.

#245 ·
I just got an '06 TRD off-road manual with 60,000kms.. I've notice a lot of wheel hop and some ticking (not sure if its from the engine or not). The differential also seems to have a lot of slack, maybe around 15degrees when parked? Is this something I should be worried about?

#249 ·
Not sure if this is the same issue?

2008 TRD OR
Stock BFG Rugged Trails
OME 3", 885 springs, TSB leafs with Wheeler's Offroad AAL, driveline spacer
30K miles

lots of normal driving, but I've gone to Brown's Camp a few times (mostly stuff like Cedar Tree, hardest was upper part of FB5 in the rocky area... and I crawl like a senior citizen)

Nothing actually exploded on me, I've just been having
-shudder at acceleration once I get to 10mph
-WUD WUD WUD sound between 55-65 (no steering vibes)

It's in the shop now, mechanic said it had the bearings go out. New rear diff being put in under warranty

#251 ·
Right, so I got the truck back Friday. Brand new rear diff.

The invoice says, "excessive clearance in front pinion causing damage to ring gear op #410101 T-1-91 T-2-43=2.4 test drive OK"

While I was there, I noticed that the Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue had their FJC in for the same repairs. Theirs had actually gone in for the issue once before in Utah, but Utah did a shoddy job (didn' put things together well, used slilicon instead of gaskets) and this time it grenaded.

Anyway, I drove my truck from the dealer to the highway and went 4 miles. I noticed that the same issues came back, but were a bit muted.

I drove straight back and dropped the truck off for the weekend. Got a call back today, they say that they noticed the same. They disconnected the rear diff and put it in 4WD (essentially making it a front wheel drive) and said that the vibes go away.

I guess we chalk the rest of this up to the lift? I had the driveline spacers since day 1 of the lift.

#253 ·
2nd rear end failiure.
Pre-ran for over 200 miles then drove home 250 miles. My daughter was driving home from school 2-days later and bang, 2 missing teeth on ring gear.

#256 ·
Howdy folks, I haven't been here in a while, but after catching up on this thread, I'm disappointed. Am I correct in understanding that the TRD OR rear ends are breaking in EVERY late-model Taco, not just the 05's? I came back cuz I was getting the trigger ready to pull to replace my 99 Taco with an 07-09.

Any help appreciated, thanks!
RJ

#264 ·
have the whole thing cryo/heat treated. It will buy you some time on 37s but not much, the real answer is a 1 ton rear.

#262 ·
Don't beat it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.