TTORA Forum banner

Expo Bed Caps

56K views 56 replies 47 participants last post by  mail_man 
#1 ·
To minimize weight is always a consideration with expo vehicles, so I was wondering what bed caps you guys have chosen for your trucks with that in mind. What options have you opted for when buying your cap? Have there been problems with your model, what features do you like best, etc. Pictures of your capped trucks would be great.

--
Will

#31 ·
the ying N yang of it...

security for me...

leave most of my gear in 'da bed, ready to roll.

Here's a really rare look at my junk without the shell installed.

looks weird to me... 'cause I've had a shell on 'er since day one.

oh... ok... here's a shell pictar for 'da thread...

more in my sig line... if U give a shit.

#33 ·
I'm leaning towards some type of lockable drawers so my stuff is secure, always there when I need it, still allows for use of 1/2 of the bed height plus the full length. I will probably throw a softopper on there as well in case I am going on a long outing and need more storage space an or in case the weather is bad and I need a quick place to get out of the rain. Setting up a tent in a rainstorm isn't fun.

RTT's are big heavy and are mounted above the bed so not ideal for offroading plus they have to be broken down so if you want to hit the trail for the day you have to pack up your camp and offroad with all your gear AND your RTT. RTT's are good for the person who just drives to a campsite and stays there, other than that they are a liability in multiple ways. I feel the same way about the flipac. 3-4 hundred lbs. that is always sitting on your truck weather you are offroading or camping. It has to be deployed and despite what some claim, they are in no way waterproof. Again good idea for the camper who drives someplace and stays but if you want to go out and play, way to top heavy.

#34 ·
Take a look at Gemtop Work Site or WorkMaster. Both are commercial type shells, you can have them built at any height you like. This provides an excellent base for a platform. I ordered mine with a toolbox in one side and large flip up door on the other. The internal frame provides an attachment point for many different things, the toolbox is excellent for that as well.Has a rack up top. It's so versatile and well worth the money in my opinion. I'll try to post up some pics of mine so you can get an idea.

#35 ·

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51077676@N04/4692649236/in/photostream

The great thing about the commercial cap is you get to build your platform at the TOP of the bed, thus giving you all of your bed space for storage etc. Also you get the head room and don't feel like your in a sardine can with a fiberglass shell. I opted for the single layer Worksite, weighs in at 150lbs. The Workmaster is exactly the same but two layers of sheet metal.

#36 ·
#38 ·
I picked up a Leer/Leaonard top off craigslist for $250. Both side windows were busted out. Spent $300 getting those replaced so I got out for $550. The paint was in good shape. I don't do a lot of expeditioning, but I fish a lot and I keep all my crap back there. It doesn't leak at all. I plan on using it for camping too, just put an air mattress back there and sleep back there!

#39 ·
Snugtop XTR. So far so good. I've only had it a couple months. Found it on a local classifieds sites and picked it up for $250. Overall pretty good shape with a few minor blemishes. Has the fold down sliding front window which is really nice for cleaning the windows. Dome Light, Headliner. Integrated Roofrack (although the capacity isn't what you'd expect).

It will get it's first real test down in Moab in a couple weeks. Looking forward to it.

#41 ·
I would consider the softtopper. I have one on my taco and we love it. Great product and fast service. Talk to Bob at softtopper he was great to work with. If you need a rack above the cap/bed then you can get an over the soft/hard cap rack from softtopper or buy it from US Rack. I will be starting a build up soon. I was going to go with a hard top but if some azzhat wants to break in then they are going to get in so thats another reason I chose the soft top.

#49 ·
I would rip the carpet out and paint it. I would also be sure to do this off the truck and well in advance of any planned outing. When I did the do-it-yourself roll on bed liner the smell was excruciating. The top stayed off for a week before I put it back on just before jetting off for a fishing trip. Could not sleep in there for probably 3 months despite doing it in the middle of the hot and dry summer of Southern Nevada to facilitate curing.

bump this to top. I had a fiberglass top and sold it for a toolbox now im looking at getting an aluminum one to throw back on it. Anybody got anymore to add to this thread? Pics?
All I can add is that I have a cap. It's a Vision and it was on the truck when I bought it. I've added a Yakima Megawarrior to the top (it has the honeycomb center so the control towers are mounted a little outside of where I would have liked to place them). It clamps on with 4 clamps and has only shifted once (not tight enough). It doesn't leak. I WISH I HAD WINDOORS! Also wish the front window opened or dropped down so I could clean the glass (neither truck nor cap allows access. Have to remove cap to clean).

#50 ·
My Topper doubles as a condo for my dog, on trips it keeps her out of the wind and direct sunlight. Keeping the windows open keeps a nice draft through the back keeping her cool. I travel fairly minimal so there is always enough room for her.

Always handy when the wife gets in that "mood", She can go in the back and the dog can enjoy the AC!

#52 ·
My 2000 tundra with an ARE shell I recently got for $350. Painted it with duplicolor truck bed paint. Recently added some LED strips. Plan on adding more LED's to the doors of the shell and undercarriage. Plans are to build a sleeping platform/storage in the bed soon.

#55 ·
Another fan of the softopper here. I really don't have one bad thing to say about it. You can't lock it obviously but I knew that before I bought it ,it seems Iike the perfect topper for a DD. I can fold it against the cab or totally remove it in less than 5 minutes. It is as waterproof as a hard shell in my experience. I occasionally get a small drop in one of the corners but I dont have any weather stripping under the rails. It also keeps the CoG down unlike a hard shell would. @It is my favorite mod to my truck so far.@

#56 ·
Does anyone know if snug top makes there XTR model for a first gen tacoma extra cab i can only seem to find pics of them on a DC like Box Rocket has. If so can you post a picture of it im contemplating getting one but really woud like to see how it goes with the extra cab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.