TTORA Forum banner

a new toy

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Son of Mayhem 
#1 ·
hey guys,
im 17 years old and i decided that its time to buy another truck and start buildin a toy, somethin capable of some serious wheelin. im lookin for somethin cheap, an older tacoma, but i need some suggestions. what should i be lookin at to build off? any suggestions, tips, etc would be a big help. thanks.

#3 ·
first big tip...read, read, and read some more...
then once you have made up your mind about what kind of wheeling you want to do...
read some more...lots of very knowledgeable people around here...
ATLRoach is right, if you can find a truck between those years...you're half way there...i personally like the 85.5 SFA and 22RE

#4 ·
ok fellas...ive been doin some readin. ive heard the 84-85s fuel injected have more power and torque but i heard the 79-83s are built sturdier and have more space in the wheel wells. im gonna be doin mostly muddin with some rock crawlin but im havin trouble deciding whether to look for an 83 or 85.....any suggestions?

#6 ·
Depending on were you live, a 85 with EFI would be a good choice. Put look out for frame rot. It all looks good till you take a hammer to it.

I can tell you all about how to find frame rust if you want to know.

Another choice would get a late 80's or early 90's Toyota truck, and SAS it.

#7 ·
I second the 85..EFI......I went w/ 83 toy s.b 22r......I wish I woulda waited and went w/ the newer body style and EFI.(85)......The old toy is selling soon.....
Trevor

#8 ·
Personally Id go with anything efi. A lot of people may disagree but I think toy carbs are crap. Not the funnest to work on either. All the trucks are built equally stout but you are correct about having a lil more room for rubber on 79-83 but with those years comes a lot more rust in my experience, especially to the frame. I had an 80 that I put a 22re in with minimal mods and a rear locker. Thing kept up with a rubi that had a massive re lift on it without too much trouble at all. 85 and up would be your best bet depending on fab skills. SAS's are fun and I have also noticed that after they changed body styles (89 in trucks, 90 in Runners) they are a lot quieter in the cab and a lot less prone to rust. If you plan on checking out 79-95 toys go look at www.pirate4x4.com. If you plan on building a taco your in the right spot. I want a straight axle on my taco, so much more powerful than older toys. Good luck!

#9 ·
finding a 85' yota is no easy task that is the magical year last year of the SFA and the first year of EFI .Quick cheap lift tip recurve stock leaf springs add 2" and get 2"lift shackles now you can run 33"s.Its not a pro lift but it will get you by and give you a chance to learn how to handle a lifted truck on the road. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.