TTORA Forum banner

New flowmaster-LOUD!

6K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  TrailBlazin' 
#1 ·
Well not that long ago i took out my rear cats in search for some more sound out of my 18" Magnaflow but only achieved a higher pitched racer boy honda civic sound. So after some research and plenty of utube viewing i discovered the Flowmaster 13" super 44! Not only did this muffler cure my high pitched woes it provided me with such a powerful sound. I must say though it is not for everybody as to this combo has major drone at cruising levels. I also want to add that i have never owned a deeper sounding muffler on a v6 before, when cruising u could almost mistake it for a v8 until u get on it then it will sound like a v6.

#3 ·
Did you install the fm with no rear cat? I swapped in a fm and it was quiet at first and after 100-150 miles it got louder. Its a decent loud but doesnt compare to a v8(noise wise) while cruising. Im considering deleting the cat or going with a single high flow, but dont want to get it much louder.
I had a borla on my 4.0 5spd ranger, swapped it on to a 4.0 auto explorer and its comparable to my 4.0 tacos exhaust...lol. but removing the cat on the rangeer made a big difference sound wise...lol

#4 ·
Ya i deleted the 2 Out of the 4 cats and turned it down just before the axle. I have quite a tolerance for loud exhuast systems this is loud even for me!

#5 ·
search brought me here.
I have a 13" Flowmaster on my Taco and the noise is driving me nuts. 2200 rpms and you can't have a conversation in the cab. The exhaust is turned down in front of the axle and all cats are in place. I was looking in to the 18" Magnaflow to quiet the noise. But reading this thread this won't help? I don't care what it sounds like as long as I don't have to hear the exhaust. Any other quiet quality mufflers out there?

#6 ·
ya stock. cheap on craigslist and will fit just right.

#12 ·
I have a 40 series on mine, cats and all. Has a slight hum around 1500 rpms and sounds good when you lay into it. I like it. My uncle has a super 44 on his v8 dodge and I can't stand the thing. Not sure what series you have but I definitely like mine. Has a nice hum when cruising at a low speed but not over powering and great sound when you want to hear it.

#10 ·
you guys should try stacks if you want some real sound and power

#13 ·
The 50 series flowmasters should quiet it down. 2 of my friend's 4runners have em, theyre pretty quiet. Sounds awesome too.

I have the longest magnaflows I could get in 2.5" IN/OUT. A little on the loud side but no drone. It does get raspy when its cold due to having headers.

#14 ·
I went with the advice above. I found on Craigslist and TTORA classifieds a stock muffler. The rubber mounts to the factory location so I won't have to worry about hangers falling off in the middle of Baja. Now my truck is quiet and enjoyable to drive. I may miss the exhaust tones while pre-running but pre-running is less that 10% of my driving (even though I hammer my truck that 10%)

#15 ·
#21 ·
I have a Flowmaster 40 series, it's the biggest piece of shit I've ever had to listen to. I'm cutting it off and putting a turbo muffler in it's place. :2cents:
imco turbo muffler FTMFW:D
Well I never vouched for the FM on the first gens as the 4.0 on the second gen sounds completely different. Not to mention everybody (obviously) has their own opinion and different taste. Just sayin'...

#16 ·
I have a Flowmaster 40 series, it's the biggest piece of shit I've ever had to listen to. I'm cutting it off and putting a turbo muffler in it's place. :2cents:

#22 ·
I haven't tried these but plan to. I've heard they compliment many louder mufflers very well:

http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1140-Ultra-Quiet-Resonator/dp/B000E3VHW8

They come in different pipe sizes.

I can't understand why someone doesn't come out with an electronic exhaust blaster with a loudspeaker mounted under the rear bumper. You could choose from 20 different tones, and have a variable loudness adjustment. It could pick up a tach signal for a trigger. Then you just run a stock muffler and dial up the sound you want. Fuck, you could be cruising to the tune of a performance V8. :jack: Got a hangover? Just turn the fawker off.:cool:

That ghey enough fer ya Dell?? :flipoff1:

#23 ·
#24 ·
I was actually kidding :rolleyes: I guess I should have known ........:cool:

#27 ·
Deff. no hard feelings brother! Sucks u hate it now. You should look into the aero turbine muffler sounds the best on the 3.4 in my opinion. Had it last on my first gen!

#30 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.