TTORA Forum banner

3.4/ext cab swap

84K views 809 replies 62 participants last post by  slander 
#1 ·
Started the swap tonight, Russell and I started around 4, and had the cab off and motor ready to come out of my truck when Doug showed up around 6:15.

Doug and i got the cab situated, and everything moved around for some space to work. Got the 2.7 motor mounts cut off my frame (PITA BTW), and the 3.4 mounts cut off the frame section (i have pictures showing the differences, i'll get them posted up Sunday or so, along with all of the others).

Cutting the mounts off carefully (to not bend/damage them) was a huge pain in the ass, but I managed to get the task done. After a few more hours of work (and a pinched pinky later), Doug and i got the 3.4 lined up (transfer case x-member is in the same location, but the mount on the 3.4 t-case is wider) and the mounts tacked onto the frame.

Tomorrow I'll do the finish welding on the mounts, and get the 3.4 in (should be done by noon), then its onto the cab.

The cab is going to have to be notched to fit over the frame rails at the rear section, and the floor pan will have to be tubed to clear the gas tank. Also will have to figure out what I'm going to do for the filler neck so I do not have to run it through the cab.

Progress is going good, this is the biggest step. Cutting up the bed, and triangulating the shocks will be the easy work. I have to triangulate the shocks since where the new bed mount will be needs to be on the inside of the frame, right where the passenger shocks bolts to. The tabs are already on my axle, so all I need to do is get a cross member welded in and the degree set on each shock. For now I wont do a u-bolt flip, but it will happen down the road (probably not before moab, but whatever).

Just thought I'd post up some basic info, once everything is DONE and I have time to sit down and resize/edit/upload pics I'll get that done, along with all of the info, and step-by-step processes of the actual motor swap, and what needs to be done to the cab.

See less See more
#28 ·
Im sure nate will post the rest of the pics from the weekend when its all done. Im Leaving now to go up and help him finish it up and do up the tail light harness. I have to say this is the fastest swap of this kind i have ever seen.

We had a blast up there yesterday even tho we couldnt stay the whole time.

#29 ·
id head back up to help nate but i have way to much shit thats due tomorrow to break from it. i could help out next weekend if its not done by then. and if it is done i want to see it :D

#32 ·
how does this work with the original title? Ha I could see it now. Sir step out of the vehicle. why do you have the plates for a white reg cab on a black excab?

Uh I swapped it.

sure you're going to jail till we figure this out.

lol

#34 ·
Yeah that was pretty wild doing all that in one day. I can;t wait to see this thing on the road!

#36 ·
Haha I can't believe these guys get so much done so quick. When I was there everybody was just standing around BSing... :lmao:

#38 ·
Change is easy, they wont look at the motor, and on registration/title it just says '2000 Toyota Tacoma, White' So i just go into the DMV and tell them i painted the truck and it is now black, and have them update it.

All the vin transfer paperwork is being taken care of by my boss at work, it'll be done legit and 100% hassle free.

Today we didnt get much done, but still we got A LOT done in the time frame it was worked on.

Friday 3pm - my truck drove into the shop
Friday 11pm - my truck stripped, and the 3.4 mounts located/tacked into place
Saturday 11am - 3.4 mounts welded, tops of sliders welded, 3.4 bolted in
Saturday 10pm - cab on, floor cut, everything in the bay hooked up, rear cab mounts located
Sunday 1pm - cab mounts welded up
Sunday 10pm - brakes bled, rear wiring tied up... still no fuel tank (have to cut the lines, no way around it)

Jay, the ps lines leaked like a mother fucker without pressure even in them. Just from putting atf in them. Easy fix though, the threads were a little dirty so they were hard to spin (tight already), but not all the way into the rack. It took me about half an hour at 1/8th turn at a time to get both all the way in. Now they do not leak.

3.4 still doesnt run (due to gas tank issue), tomorrow after work i'm going to get the lines cut/flared, and pick up some fuel line so the tank can go up in. After thats done, the truck should run on its own umph.

Tuesday i'll start on the floor pan, getting it plated up while one of the techs i work with starts tubing the cab corners accordingly.

Wednesday i'll probably have to go get my car from denver so i can get the speakers and shit out of it to put behind the panels, so thursday the interior will go back in and we'll probably start on the bed.

I'll keep everyone updated with progress as it moves along though. So far, I'm happy with what has been done in a total of about 30 working hours. As a shop would of charged well over 150+ labor hours to do this job.

#41 ·
Nate, I love it. Just plain original, and you know how big a fan I am of thinking outside the box. Absolutely top notch.

done in a total of about 30 working hours. As a shop would of charged well over 150+ labor hours to do this job.
This I don't buy. The shop quote, yes, but your estimate, no. In the one pic, I saw at least 4 people.

Now, I'm sure everyone wasn't working 100% of the time, but if you have 4 people working for one hour, that is four hours worth of work, which is how the shop will bill it. 30 hours with that many people would mean you got it done in about 8 hours actual time. Less if there were more people.

I'm by no means diminishing your accomplishment. It is damn impressive regardless. Just busting your chops a bit, you know, because its fun!

#52 ·
ehh not quite that far....

basically, the square section from the horse collar to the rear cab panel, between the frame rails has all been cut out now. Going to re-work all of it, for some nice custom storage compartments, and plenty of clearance over the gas tank, along with an access panel to the fuel pump from the interior (so if the pump ever shits, or lines ever break, i dont have to drop the tank)

#57 ·
rear box with top for shelf and storage underneath is the best idea! I'm thinking of doing the same in the back of my 85. Access panel to the top of the tank (like the runners) is excellent!

#61 ·
Already talked about the dbl cab bed situation :p

Id have to stretch my wheel base 2" in order for it to work, then i'd have to re-bob the rear. I appreciate the offer, but i'm just going to work with the bed i have for now and see where it gets me.

#63 ·
Already talked about the dbl cab bed situation :p

Id have to stretch my wheel base 2" in order for it to work,
Sorry , I missed that. I thought the comment was on one of the sample pics of other trucks, not yours.

I hate body work, so I'd probably stretch it. I want to see how you cut wheel opening onto the cab though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.