TTORA Forum banner

Need welding help too...

4K views 57 replies 13 participants last post by  Yanman 
#1 · (Edited)
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot or if I should go the the Northern HOW thread, but here goes:

I just got in some frame reinforcements from DeMello and I was wondering if anyone out there could help me weld them onto my frame some weekend?

I have zero welding experience but I know that I want a 3/16" fillet weld or equivalent all around the reinforcements. Or whatever would be a good strong weld to hold the reinforcements and add the structural benifit.

Here is a link in case you don't know what they look like:

http://www.demello-offroad.com//catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_60&products_id=108&osCsid=710e78eefab83c351e73d1e3ababe7a8

This would be a great chance for me to meet some of you guys and gals.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I can do it. It'll be arc welded, but I can make it look nice. I weld Monday - Friday for 3 hours a day...so I can guarantee it will be quality. I'm in Arvada about 86th and Simms.

#3 ·
Oh and your choice of rods:

6011 for a beautiful stack of dimes look, and good strong weld. 60,000 pounds/square inch tensil strength

7018 for a very flat, smooth weld that's a little stronger at 70,000 psi tensil strength

I can never decide on my truck....but I go with 6011 most of the time just because the welds look really cool to me. But the 7018 is more smooth and doesn't stand out as a weld as much.

For this application I would recommend the 6011 because the frame plates are not designed in such a way that tensil strength will be as important. Plus the 6011 rod is cheaper.

#6 ·
For a 5 pound box, its about 3-4 dollars more for 7018. Generally a rod is good for approximately 6" of weld about 3/8" across. I should have more than enough to get it done. I've got a canister packed with them.

It's hard to say right now just how much will be needed, but I would appreciate just a few bucks to reimburse for the rods. The boxes are usually $10 for 5 lbs, so they're cheap, but still cost money.

#5 ·
If you can't hook up with Kyle, I'd be happy to weld them for ya.

You can save a lot of time by doing the prep work up front, having all the weld surfaces ground to shiny metal. Note that the circles are cut there for more weld area - you need to clean up those areas too.

#7 ·
Sweet.

OK now the question is what weekend works best for either of you?

I'd prefer Saturdays, but if Sundays work better, then thats why they invented DVRs.

I guess whomever can do it the earliest gets to meet me first, and get a shot at some brewskies. Oh and what kind of beer do you guys like, that is if you like beer. I can't stand the stuff.

#8 ·
Blue Moon Please :D

LOL We can do saturday no prob. Though I shouldn't be pimping troy out for work I won't be doing... ;)

#11 ·
I can't do Saturday but can do Sunday, or one of the evenings this week. I just need a little bit of notice so that I can bring my gear home.

Won't be needing beverages here....That's illegal... :D

#14 ·
I can't do Saturday but can do Sunday, or one of the evenings this week. I just need a little bit of notice so that I can bring my gear home.

Won't be needing beverages here....That's illegal... :D
OK Sunday will work, plus that gives me time to prep the area for welding.

What time and where do you want to meet?

We could do it Saturday before the xmas party.
Thanks for offering Troy. :)

But Kyle was first, even though you are willing to do it on a Saturday, and like I said I need to prep the area and Saturday is going to be a good chance to do it, along with the rest of the stuff I need to try to get done.

#24 ·
Hey Kyle shoot me your number, I might find time to give ya a hand welding! Its gonna be a nice day too, maybe I will drive the yota over if I can make it!

#31 ·
Just trying to be nice. You never know what will set the old guy off when he's off his rocker. He keeps saying "Ike keeps trying to push it all back in with his "special tool" but I just want to share."

#29 ·
I can help you or anyone with welding whenever needed. I have a Miller 110v for mobile purposes and a couple of real welders(mig and tig) if anyone needs. I can also make brackets,plates, and other stuff too. We have an ironworker and shears and and brakes as well.

#35 ·
Ok so from if I remember Troy and I are NOT needed tomorrow (Which is good because I gotta get the awards ready!!)

#38 ·
Kyle and anybody else that maybe coming over to help,

I have preped the areas of the frame where the reinforcements are going as best I could with the tools I had (orbital sander, hands). We may have to do a little more prep work if you have a grinder.

Also, I hope you have a cutting torch or a saw that can cut through 3/16" steel, because I noticed a bracket welded to the frame that is used by the fuel tube. We will have to either cut a section off the reinforcements, which is what I prefer, or do something with the bracket welded to the frame.

Hear are some pics:

A pic of one of the reinforcements:

A pic of the passenger side:

A pic of the driver side, off to the left you can see the bracket I'm talking about:

And a close up of the bracket:

Hopefully you will see this and will know what to do ahead of time.

Thanks again for helping me out and I'll see you tomorrow! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.