TTORA Forum banner

The Ultimate IFS CV Axle set.

18K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  herocopter 
#1 ·
Has any one had any experience good or bad with an RCV ultimate axle set up for a LT 2005+ Tacoma.
I am looking at upgrading the front CV from the currant stock CV with the Total Chaos extended axle installed. If the axle and CV are installed does the Clamshell diff become the weak link or will it hold up with 35+ tires?

http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-details-axles.aspx?sku=CVJIFS-TOY2

#8 ·
Some good information. I was impressed with the construction of the axles and CVs but you are still working with a small ring an pinion in the front diff. Hard to justify close to 4000.00. As much as I like my IFS I would have to start looking at an SAS before I lay out that much money.

:confused:

#10 ·
When I added it to the cart it added 1 unit. Not two. It says "Axle" in the description... not axles.

Either they're really bad at grammar or it really is $2k/axle.

#11 ·
it says "Ultimate IFS CV Axle SET for Toyota FJ Cruiser ('07 and up), 4 Runner ('03-'09) and Tacoma ('05 and up)"

when every other SET of axles rcv sells even through polyperformance.com cost under $2000 (besides the 2.5 ton rockwell set which costs $2195 on poly), i highly doubt adding two $120 930 cv joints would up the price by another $2000. just a bit retarded if you ask me.

#16 ·
I saw that, but I also read further down..

CVJIFS-TOY2 Includes axle for one side only

And then as you can see in this image, it lists that model number again for $1995

"Axle comes pre-lubed and includes a Super Duty Chromoly Dome-Mass Cage and Race with SST CV axle shaft fitted with an Ultimate 930 Inboard CV Joint, and a tube of synthetic moly grease."

Again, they could just be really shit with their website layout and sentence function/grammar. But it does make it sound like its $2k per axle.

Too bad they're closed today, or I would just call and settle this.

#14 ·
maybe someone should call rcv and confirm . they are about 2k a pair. if someone actually picked up a phone and called someone, you could get a straight answer. the keyboard cant do everything for you in life.

#15 ·
Yes, good answer. Sent an e-mail to the tech dept to find out the price and options. Have not heard back yet since it is the weekend. If I don't hear from them then it will be a direct call next week. Maybe some other options.

#18 ·
I know for the earlier tacomas they upgrade all of the cv except for the outter stub shaft. That's where I tend to break cvs so it looks like a waste of money to me.

#19 ·
I have RCVs. They recently updated their website and they hadn't been offering them for quite awhile. Therefore the pricing on poly may not be accurate (poly has listed them forever even though they weren't offering them for Yotas 2010-11). We got one of the first revised prototype sets mid last year.

I'll first say we went with these cause the Camburg LT kit would cycle 14" of travel but the extended axle/cv would bind at droop on the tripod and the rollers would pull out at bump limiting us to 13.25" of travel. Went with these because 1. We wanted to see if the joint really allowed that much more angular movment and 2. I am considering using a similar setup for a future project and this was a cheaper test bed.

RCV was very supportive in getting the axles to meet my expectations at this point. It took a few tries to get things setup the way we wanted, but they never charged for making any of the modifications we requested or replacing parts.

Dan @ RCV was great in getting custom modifications that we requested in order to get everything dialed in and I have no doubt that they'd support the product if an issue came up. The setup does now cycle a clean 14" of travel.

That being said I have yet to test them out (first trip out with the new setup is this weekend) and see how they hold up. So, I'll reserve my judgement/comments until then. The 930 joint is pretty much maxed out at the travel I'm seeing, so I'm not sure there's much more inherent strength at the extreme (inner wasn't normally the OEM end failing tho). However, I'm pretty confident the d60 bell on the outer should hold up well compared to the OEM rzeppa outer.

If you guys have more detailed questions shoot me a pm.

#20 ·
That looks like a great set up. Have fun on the test run and let us know the outcome. Thanks for in input.

#21 ·
I broke a custom set from RCV and also got left in the dark. Also had an awful experience with FOA but that story is for another day.

#24 ·
The RCV joints are literally bombproof. The only way you will ever break one in one of these trucks is if they're set up incorrectly. They can't ever see over 45* and you need to make sure the axle shafts are the right length so they don't bottom out or over extend throughout travel. Plenty of guys running these on Pirate with way bigger tires and more horsepower than anyone will ever get out of a Tacoma.

#25 ·
I've had a great experience with RCV. Some of the fastest turn-around for custom parts I've ever dealt with. Turns out I might have a binding issue with my inner joints, and some backlash. Talked to them today and they're sending me new inner joints, no questions asked. Don't even want the old ones back.

I paid just under 2k for my set, and they are a custom/hybrid setup. Cycling 15" clean, after I get the new joints might be able to bump up to 15.5 or 16.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.