TTORA Forum banner

Roof Rack/Rack Back Question

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  arrowpilot 
#1 ·
Hi there,
Has anyone ever installed a Rack Back (AKA Headache bars) on their 05/06 Taco? If so, what might be the best way to do it?

I've also considered putting on a stock roof rack. Does anyone know what materials it is made from? Is it a composite/plastic material of some kind, all metal, or a combination of both? The reason I ask is because I need to be able to mount extra antennas to whatever solution I go with. I need a solid metal-metal connection where I mount them to provide a good ground-plane for the extra antennas.

TIA!
Shar

#2 · (Edited)
there dosen't appear to be very many roof racks for the accesss cab. if you find one you'll have to drill your roof. I contacted back-rack and they said they have no plans to make a version for the '05 and newer tac because of the bed rail system.

EDIT: there now seems to be one available from Back Rack. Part #10317

#3 · (Edited)
You can get a Yakima or Thule setup.

That is what I have and it requires no drilling, just 2 people to close the cams at the same time. Beware: I had a chip in my windshield, and when I installed the rack the chip propagated into a large crack. (then it got huge when I went wheeling that weekend.)

They claim that each crossbar can hold 50lbs (the same setup on my pathfinder could hold 175lbs each, I guess due to the different shape clips; the door frame doesn't have a good shape for a clips on the new tacos.

go here for a photo:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64670

#4 ·
Well I guess Back Rack changed their mind about making one for the 05+ tacomas. There is now a part number listed on their site. Part # 10317 is for the 05+ Tacoma Back Rack. I'm going to order one today. I'll post pics when I get it and install it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.