TTORA Forum banner

Wrench A Thon March 29th

3K views 55 replies 9 participants last post by  Bear 
#1 ·
As decided at the meeting, we are going to have a wrench a thon on March 29th 08.

It is going to be at Jeep Crasher's "gravel pit" He'll chime in (hopefully) closer to the event date with directions or how to get them from him.

If you have work to do on your rig. this will be the time to get some help in doing it. Welders and other major tools will be available.

Post on this thread what work you may need or want to do.

#3 · (Edited)
I didn't even get into my list of things to do at the meeting.

Install new muffler

change gear oil in rear diff

swap on new seats (yea baby!)

install remote starter

install subwoofer (if not already done by then will also need to install head unit and amp as well as new CB

change fluids

possibly install air tank with automatic valving

Rear bumper fabbed up.

I don't expect to get it all done, but that is a list of things I am considering. I'll will be more available to help others as to do other work to my truck.

(muffler and/or seats will be my priority)

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have i think all major power tools in the garage. air compressor, drill press, air tools, calipers and mics and indicators, wrenches sockets and etc. Any questions on a specialty tool just ask an i'll let you know. do have two 110welders and a torch setup. I only ask for a pitch in on the wire.i also have grinders and sawzalls.sorry no press but my local napa does and have let me use thiers for free.

pm for address
later
dave

#5 ·
bumping to the top so we can get some better ideas on how many's and whats'

#6 ·
Dave, I know you are well supplied, but I think I will be bringing my grinders as well as possibly anything else I can think of. Sawzall etc. extra jacks, jack stands (?)

do you think If I bring the H.F "kinker" with me, we could fab up that rear bumper design of yours for the taco? If so, can you get me a cut list or at least an estimate of tubing we are going to need?

:xofftopic Oh and that damn Bathroom stall divider is heavier than Chit! I thought it was going to knock over the greenie when I leaned the dividers against it! LOL

#9 ·
I have swapped out a clutch during a WAT in the past, I would say it just depends on what Dave says and what all everyone has to do. but since I am not hosting this particular one, it is best to let Dave decide.

I know I would be willing to help if I am able to.

I know I am needing to remove my front gears and change out some things with the locker.

I know we went through an "inventory" of what everyone needs to work on, but it might be a good idea to restate everyone's intending to work on.

#11 ·
So you purchased the dynobeads? I didn't know that, you should have talked to me before ordering. I run them and have discovered some hidden tricks that might come in handy for you.

Did you also order the special valves? if not I definitely recommend them, I also have some extras in case you failed to order them I could lend them to you if need be.

Speaking of the beads, I need to finish putting them in two of my tires. When I bought my last tires I only put them into two of the four.

Which sound material did you purchase? I went yesterday to pick up some and left it in the store...They wanted too damn much for it!

#12 ·
Dustin, I spoke to Dave tonight over some other stuff, and I mentioned your tranny swap for the WAT.

If you just need some "hired hands" to lift the tranny (as Dave put it) That shouldn't be a problem, but regarding using brain power, you might be S.O.L :D

But if you want to do a transplant and just need the extra hands, bring it on!

#13 ·
W.A.T update.

Okay, here is the latest on our first wrench-a-thon, being held by Jeep Crasher (A.K.A Dave or vise versa)

We are still scheduled for the same date. But Dave mentioned burning some burgers I mean grilling them. He is going to provide the cow, you provide your drinks and possibly a side dish or bag of chips type of thing.

as for the work we are going to attempt that day.

BEAR

to be replacing my seal housing on my front ARB as well as checking the specs on my front gears.

With luck will also be installing new seats (if they arrive in time)

installing tranfer case skidplate, if I get the trans brake installed prior. Otherwise, I might be installing transbrake instead.

Finishing trap door in bed.

JEEP CRASHER

Major project will be building roll cage for rig. Probably will have other smaller projects.

brinner

balance beads in tires
paint remainder of sliders
diff fluid change
sound insulate cab (basically stuff sound deadening foam into "hollow" spots)
work on dents with dent puller
re-spool winch

DN1911

by the sound of his earlier post has a transmission to replace

Who else and what else???

Remember you don't need to actually have work to do to participate, come hang out and lend a hand or just laugh at the wrenching going on.

#16 ·
you mean like using water/antifreeze in tires instead of steel shot?

I know cheap…boy do I know cheap! :D

I would still suggest getting the filtered valve stems though. as you are airing down, the steel beads can be sucked up into the valve, and if the stem is in place the steel shot can actually clog the valve seed and effectively stop air from passing.

#17 ·
unfortunately i won't be able to make, new schedule posted and the boss can't let me off. even though this new position is supposed to be Mon-Fri. so i guess i'm out of luck, if you guys need anything (i.e. Parts) let me know and maybe Brian can bring them down with him. i can also supply Fluids and filters and whatever else you need.

#18 ·
Well that bites! sorry you won't make it. and I actually finally got those decals in and was going to take them for you!

If you can though, look up an install kit for a Front Dana 44 out of an 86 Grand waganeer for me. I might need one for my front axle work.

#19 ·
Well i am new to the off-road scene and i just got my first toyota... it's not perfect but it does the job and i would like to bring it to see if you guys (which im sure you do) have any pointers or see anything that i need to change or make...thanks and let me know...:welder:

#20 ·
I posted up to you on the main (national) board.

You are welcome to come and join the fun. Just expect to get dirty as well as have your learning cap on.

If you have never fabbed anything before, Jeep crasher is a talented teacher if you stay on his good side ;) . and the others have a wealth of mechanical knowledge as well.

make sure and read threw this thread (as I am sure you already have) Let me know here if you have any specific work that needs to be done. i.e your deck plate mod would be good to do at this time or if you just want to join us to hang out with.

Bring your own beverages and sides for the burger melting and you will be "good to go!"

#21 ·
Hey Brin…

you want me to bring along that radio shack cb for you? I have it out of the truck currently if you are wanting it.

#23 ·
ambitious? three wires that are probably already in your truck and you are finished, and here I thought I was having motivational issues. :D

#27 ·
hey not sure if these would work but i do have a set of 4" lift cj springs front and rear with 1.5" lift shackles. they would get you moving in the right direction to convert that thing into a jeep.

JC

#25 ·
not a full set, not even sure if what I have would work for you.

Are you rebuilding or waiting on an order?

#28 ·
sorry, wish I could come up with a solution for you. I guess we could measure and see if any of the springs on the FJ would work, but I highly doubt it.

But it is a thought take some measurements!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.