TTORA Forum banner

Road trip wheelin.

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  rader 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm going to be taking a road trip in May from east coast to west coast, on the way out there taking a southerly route (AL, MS,LA,TX, NM, AZ, CA) and on the way back a northerly route (NV,UT,WY,MT,ND). Any suggestions on must go places with my Taco; off the beaton path type stuff, like trails, desert driving, Taco gatherings etc. Nothin to crazy, I have an 09 stock OR. Thanks for the input.

#5 ·
check out expeditionportal.com. I'm planning on doing this same type of trip and am finding a lot of helpful bits of information here.

#8 ·
If you'll be coming through northeast TX on I-20 or I-30, check out Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area in Gilmer, TX (about 2 hours east of Dallas). It's a private 1800-acre ORV park.

If you'll be coming through southeast TX on I-10, I believe Spring Creek is near the Houston area. Check out the TX TTORA chapter forum for more info on TX off-roading. Most of Texas is privately-owned, though, so you'll have to settle for relatively small, pay-as-you-play ORV parks.

#11 ·
Something to keep in mind. It doesn't sound like you do this very often so.....Plan your route and prioritize the sights or places you want/need to see. The reason for this is there is a very good chance at some point in the trip you will run out of time/energy/money/or the quest to see anything new. When that happens you will have the urge to dead head to your destination and you might miss the #1 thing on your list. Just something to keep in mind. Thanks

#13 ·
If you come along I-20 through Louisiana en route to Gilmer, TX as someone above said (Barnwell Mountain), you can stop in at Catahoula Recreation ORV in Sicily Island, LA ('bout an hour south of Monroe). Email us at info@bslca.com to let us know when you're coming through. If you roll along I-10 in south Louisiana, you can forget trail riding but we can take you to some scenic bayou country eateries with the Bayou State Land Cruiser Gang. Holler at us.

Marty

#15 ·
That sounds like a good plan, you might want to see everything you can in the Southwest and save the North for sometime that you can make a summer trip. It's only about a 20 hour drive west for you to the Badlands in SD, that's where the west really begins on the northern route. Be sure and ask the members in the states you will spend the bulk of your time in what to see in their area.

More about the weather, even in Yellowstone some roads are closed till Memorial day weekend. Be sure and check with the guys in Colorado to be sure on what they have open in May. The link below is The Bear Tooth Just north of Yellowstone in the spring look at the dates and snow. The pictures below are Feb, July4, mid August, and September the picture on the fourth of July is a trail that was still closed by snow drifts on north slopes a week earlier.
http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/beartooth/opening.shtml

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.