TTORA Forum banner

Rubicon 2012 planning

15K views 70 replies 14 participants last post by  sparky 
#1 ·
TTORA SoCal/NorCal
in
RUBICON

So as many of you may have noticed on the 2012 Schedule of Events, we have a proposed Rubicon run in the beginning of September. September 4th-8th/9th to be exact. This is just a feeler/information thread so please do not start an official sign up list just yet. Some of the basic minimum requirements for this run include:

-High clearance front and rear bumpers with recovery points
-Sliders
-Skids
-33" tires+Full size spare
-One locker
-Spill kit
-Wag Bag
-Minimum one strap and a shackle
-Spare parts
-Fluids
-CB
-Fire Extinguisher
-Tire Plugs
-Lift

In addition to meeting the minimum vehicle requirements you must have experience wheeling and have basic knowledge of repairing your rig. More importantly, a good attitude! We have not set in stone a maximum allowed vehicle limit as of yet, however this will be contingent on the amount of interest that is shown as well as well as the staff members available. I apologize if this seems harsh, but this is a long ways from home and we don't want this to turn into a recovery mission which can/will ruin the run for everyone. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns feel free to post up.

Last year we ran the Con with 5 rigs and kept a pretty decent pace throughout the whole trip, with minimal issues. I am not opposed to opening the run up to a larger group, given everyone is on the same page. This year I intend on slowing things down a bit and enjoying our time around the lakes/camp fire a bit more. (4/5 nights vice 3) :camping::xbeer1:

More pictures to get your blood pumping!

See less See more
#2 ·
Some of the basic minimum requirements for this run include:

-High clearance front and rear bumpers with recovery points
-Sliders
-Skids
-33" tires+Full size spare
-One locker
-Spill kit
-Wag Bag
-Minimum one strap and a shackle
-Spare parts
-Fluids
-CB
Wait a second. Let me get this straight. You're organizing a run that you're not eligible to attend? :confused::p

#8 ·
My CB will be functional again by then, don't you worry ;)

Do I even have to say 'IN'?
As long as you don't start a sign up sheet yet :D :kewl:

You better make it this year! No excuses.
I am interested. That late in the year opens up the area east of Fresno like Swamp and Dusy tho. In my mind those locations take precedence for me but it the timing works I would be interested in going. Suspension should be redone by then easy. Thanks for putting together some organization! We need more of that!
Would be great to have you along John. Hopefully those other runs won't conflict for you. But I understand those other trails are definitely more interesting than a walk in the park on the rubicon :p....One day...
Nice work on the requirements. Looks complete and I don't have much to add. I highly doubt I will be there this year, but I'm not down and out. I'll see how the planning goes and how my finances are after the wedding and honeymoon.
No sweat Tyler, it was great to have you on board last year for the scouting mission. When do you guys officially tie the knot?

#6 ·
I am interested. That late in the year opens up the area east of Fresno like Swamp and Dusy tho. In my mind those locations take precedence for me but it the timing works I would be interested in going. Suspension should be redone by then easy. Thanks for putting together some organization! We need more of that!

#7 ·
Nice work on the requirements. Looks complete and I don't have much to add. I highly doubt I will be there this year, but I'm not down and out. I'll see how the planning goes and how my finances are after the wedding and honeymoon.

#9 ·
For the IFS guys, spare parts list should look something like this (just to name a few):
x2 CV's
TRE's (inners and outers)
LBJ's
Brake lines
U-joints
Driveshaft

Last year, this was the perfect excuse for me to complete a lot of well deserved maintenance while keeping the old parts as spares.

Fluids:
Gear oil
Tranny/Tcase oil
Engine oil
Radiator fluid/distilled water
Brake fluid
ATF

#10 ·
Another picture from last years trip.

Justin had an idea for a harder run sometime that I want to make. Run from loon, camp at buck, camp at spider, camp at the springs, Head back to spider up big sluice at night. then camp wake up late and make it to buck, camp then back out to loon.

This trip were planning will be nice lets hope for little/no traffic again.

#13 ·
Another picture from last years trip.

Justin had an idea for a harder run sometime that I want to make. Run from loon, camp at buck, camp at spider, camp at the springs, Head back to spider up big sluice at night. then camp wake up late and make it to buck, camp then back out to loon.

This trip were planning will be nice lets hope for little/no traffic again.
That picture is priceless, the innertube says it all!

You do remember spider comes before buck right?

That's too much back and forth for me personally. I'm more than content running it completely through, same direction we did last year. Since we will be taking it slower this year, more time can be spent on alternative obstacles. Or we can work it out by staying at the springs for a couple nights while the guys who want to take on a night run up Big Sluice give it a go. If the con isn't enough action for ya, we can hit deer valley and slick rock afterwards?

Hytenor suggested a great idea.

Arrive Sunday and camp Sunday night, and begin running the trail on Monday.

Whould give us plenty of time to run the trail with no traffic....

Remember to bring plenty of rope to tie your food up and out of the way of the bears or bring bear proof containers.. Don't assume they're not out there, my cooler got tagged last year and I now have this gay looking zebra print cooler because my GF no longer wants it.
I have 2 problems with heading in on Monday vice Tuesday. 1, We will hit traffic on the trail for the stragglers coming out of the holiday weekend. We were still seeing rigs coming out when we pulled in at dusk last year. I intent on getting there later at night(Monday) this year to avoid the holiday traffic leaving tahoe, El Derado FWY was a nightmare last year. 2, my summer internship ends August 31st and I'd rather not be rushed to pack and get up to Loon. Would be nice to spend at least one peaceful night with my wife before heading up (With my internship down in SD and my wife holding down the fort our limited time spent together is valuable).

Thanks for mentioning the bear issue! I rigged a pulley system to get my perishables out of the reach of bears. While the others in our group took there chances with mother nature and didn't have an issue. Bears are well known for finding your food in this area. Plan accordingly.

#11 ·
Hytenor suggested a great idea.

Arrive Sunday and camp Sunday night, and begin running the trail on Monday.

Whould give us plenty of time to run the trail with no traffic....

Remember to bring plenty of rope to tie your food up and out of the way of the bears or bring bear proof containers.. Don't assume they're not out there, my cooler got tagged last year and I now have this gay looking zebra print cooler because my GF no longer wants it.

#12 ·
Monday Sept 3 is Labor Day, so I don't think your plans of "no traffic" with a Monday start will work all that well. I believe that is why the Tuesday start day was selected for this given week. But be sure to thank Hytenor for his insightful input. We never would have thought of scheduling that way. :rolleyes:

#15 ·
Damn this is going to be right at the beginning of my fall semester, looks like it will be missing my second week of class...I'm gonna try my hardest to be there!

Should finally have skids after this summer when I can actually make some money again, and then I should be good to go.

#20 ·
#35 ·
Strawberry and deer valley may be out of the picture. DOJ ruling today and rumors are that it may be closed for one year.

Antis did the whole process under the radar

If that's the case, maybe we can run eagle lakes and signal peak. Slightly out of the way but the view at signal is great

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

#44 ·
Pismo too!
Pismo was fun...once. I could care less if I ever go back there again (in the truck), especially not after freshly scratching up the armor.

Yep. My rig is not street friendly anymore. It does have current tags and ins if I have to drive it.
You'd have to drive it on the hwy at some point and time, unless you feel like running the trail back solo :missingto

you know what sand is around 99% of the time? ocean. Ocean = salt.
:jawdrop:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.