TTORA Forum banner

New Rig

27K views 162 replies 12 participants last post by  Full_Tilt_Fud 
#1 ·
most of you know and have seen pics but for those who don't I traded away the Tacoma. New truck is a 85, 22re, 5 speed, single 4.7 case, ruf, 63's, exo ect, ect....southern truck, rust free. It needs some fine tuning but it a whole lot more capable than the Tacoma

See less See more
#86 ·
Do it! I keep extra wheels and tires around just grab them every chance i get. Have a decent set of street tires stock size i took off the 85 and some misc wheels. I really need to find some badass tires and set up a good rig. Want to take my 85 and build a new frame and slap panels on to make the body like an effin tank.

#87 ·
built my new driveshaft last night....it turned out really sweet....I think lol. We had no dead sure way to make sure it was square but the nubs on the flanges fit inside the pipe pretty snug and we did everything we could to make it as square as we could....it is better than the old one I can gaurentee that much LOL.

If any of you are looking to build a new driveshaft the 2 1/2" id schedule 40 pipe is where it is at....it is almost perfect size, beefy, and cheap.

#88 ·
Put the new drive shaft in and pulled the old steering box out. Apparently the box is really fucked up lol. If I grab the input shaft I can spin it and turn the pitman arm....however if I grab the pitman arm I can not turn it...it binds tight...something inside is fubar for sure.

#89 ·
Ernies foreign salvage 740-773-5912
If they have a part you need there IE steering box, or hubs, I can run down and get it for you, and probably ship it to you, they arent one of these network yards, just let you fish around and see what they have. Theres a couple others, town n country is further north, and Rons (foreign) salvage is just down the road from me, they had some toyotas last time I checked, but I was pissed off last time I priced something there. Wasted a lot of my time because their place is so big, and then were sky high on price for some rusty ass wheels.
Can probably look town n country, and Rons, on google for phone#
Same deal goes for anyone, you want me to look at a junkyard for something, or pull and ship I can do it. Would like to trade for some help, but no one lives down here.

#90 ·
Put the new steering box in...was pretty much a giant pita but it is in and works good so far. Pulled the old one apart and the worm geat in the input was all broke to hell....i have no idea how it was still steering.

#91 ·
Took it to bundy hill sunday...it worked great....steering is spot on now and the new drive shaft is awsome....if it hits something it just laughs, it rubs the gas tank skid under articulation but not bad. At this point I am gonna give it a once over to check torque on bolts and things like that then leave it in the garage till coal creek.

#95 ·
we had a lot of fun! That tire pit is a pita! I have done it 2x now....the first time I hit just right, hopped up and went over without much trouble.....this time I don't know what happened but I really had to fight with it...finally got it though!!

#96 ·
Few updates.

I cut the rear wireing harness apart, put in the adapter box, bought two new matching tail lights and wired it all and it works...i have all rear lights except reverse....i'm gonna work on that.

I have had insurance on it for a while....went down and put plates on it and drove it around a bit.....believe it or not it drives great!.....the killer is the tires....they suck lol....i'm gonna find some cheap, smaller tires for it to put on my spare rims and drive it some thi summer.

I also bought a spare front axle.....i looked everywhere for spare hubs and ended up with this...this winter I would like to try my luck at cutting the housing apart and widening it.

#97 ·
did you catch any grief with the thing being heavily modified?
was thinking of using my leftovers to build something and wondered if the gov would say anything about it when I went to get plates. I want to make a custom body by welding plates to a tubular frame.

#98 ·
I didn't tell them lol. I am not really worried about it...they are really laid back up here on what is and is not street legal...as long as I get all the lights working, and get some mirrors I doubt I will ever get a second look from the fuzz.

#99 ·
Ok...my rear suspension suspension sucks...i hate it....i doesnt flex, it causes axle wrap, and it unloads on steep terrain makeing the truck feel very unstable.

I am gonna link it.

My thoughts are:
Ballistic fab rear truss
Tg front truss
14" coilovers
Ruffstuff heims

Thoughts?

I am 100% set on the coilovers and rear truss....the rest I am still debating

#101 ·
I think I would make the square on fit.

#103 ·
From what I can tell the stock one is either 17 or 14 gal. So I think 12 would be fine. If anything, you would just get one day of wheeling from a tank instead of two.

#105 ·
Gonna try to sort the oil leak out tonight.

Back story: it has had a mild-moderate oil leak from the front of the engine since I got it...i never worried about it...then in windrock while going down a super steep hill it basicallypouring oil out....it only did it going down reall steep hills....it leaked down to about 1/2 - 3/4 qt low and stopped. It has sat in my garage unmooved since I got home with no spots under it.

I am thinking its the crank seal....any other thoughts.....my plan is to fill it with oil, clean it really good, then let it run while somehow elevating the rear end and watch for the leak to start.

#106 ·
After cleaning it all up, looking and talking with Jed, I determined the oil leak was from the timing cover gasket on top where the head, cover, and block meet. The cover looked newish as did the oil / water pumps, even the block looks really clean where I degreased and power washed it so I decided a basic re-seal was in order. I tore it apart tonight and here is what I found:

The timing components are definately new, the chain, guides, ect show zero wear....not only that but there are paint marker numbers and writing on the crank, block ect like the whole engine was gone through

Oil pressure has always been less than awsome....i found the pickup screen clogged with silicon.

Who ever did the timing components used the wrong type on silicon as it was amost chunky...no wonder it leaked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.