TTORA Forum banner

January 2009 Event

11K views 99 replies 27 participants last post by  pray4surf 
#1 · (Edited)
As a club (albeit internet) working with the off-road community at-large to preserve (and expand) our recreation areas, I feel that scheduling our January event to coincide with the in-place Friends of Johnson Valley event on January 17 to be the 'right' thing to do....

So, as I communicate with the other staff members (and those familiar with the Johnson Valley area) I'll update this post with the particulars.

DETAILS!
We are camping out on Means Dry Lake on the east side. From the IE it takes roughly 1.5 hours to get there. Means Dry Lake is off Boone Road GPS Coordinates for Means Dry Lake: 34.412944° -116.510944. Look for the SoCal TTORA Banner - We'll be located after the bridge....

Driver meeting 9:00a at the dry lake

CB Channel 14

And don't forget to bring

FIREWOOD

No pallets, or wood with nails/screws in it - not my rules
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/johnson.html
Scroll to bottom....

Hotels are available in Landers, and Lucerne Valley. (use google maps or your map software of choice to get more info)
Ace Motel - more info »
31818 State Highway 18, Lucerne Valley, CA
(760) 248-7524

Lonesome Dove Motel - more info »
1600 Old Woman Springs Rd, Landers, CA
(760) 364-2331

Super 8 - Yucca Valley - more info »
57096 29 Palms Hwy., Yucca Valley, CA
(760) 228-1773 -
Oasis of Eden Inn & Suites - more info »
56377 29 Palms Hwy, Yucca Valley, CA
(760) 365-6321 -

Joshua Tree Inn & Motel - more info »
61259 29 Palms Hwy, Joshua Tree, CA
(760) 366-1188 -

Yucca Inn & Suites - more info »
7500 Camino Del Cielo Trl, Yucca Valley, CA
(760) 365-3311 –
Gas Sations in the surrounding area: (use google maps or your map software of choice to get more info)
High Desert Gas Mart - more info »
31581 State Highway 18, Lucerne Valley, CA
(760) 248-1010

76 Gas Station - more info »
32787 State Highway 18, Lucerne Valley, CA
(760) 248-7998

Beck Oil Inc: Lucerne Valley Unocal & Food Mart - more info »
Highway 18 & Hwy 247, Lucerne Valley, CA
(760) 248-7998

Lucerne Valley Chevron - more info »
32687 State Highway 18, Lucerne Valley, CA
(760) 248-7363

Circle K - more info »
6940 Old Woman Springs Rd, Yucca Valley, CA
(760) 365-3532

Circle K - more info »
61920 29 Palms Hwy, Joshua Tree, CA
(760) 366-8513

7-Eleven - more info »
55277 29 Palms Hwy, Yucca Valley, CA
(760) 365-4441

Joshua Gas - more info »
61794 29 Palms Hwy, Joshua Tree, CA
(760) 366-3527

R & R Chevron - more info »
57266 29 Palms Hwy, Yucca Valley, CA
(760) 365-8717
Category: Gas Stations Chevron

Mag Gas - more info »
55716 29 Palms Hwy, Yucca Valley, CA
(760) 365-2899

Super One Food Store - more info »
55899 29 Palms Hwy, Yucca Valley, CA
(760) 365-0917

I do ask everyone thinking of going to read this thread
8th fojv meeting 1/17/09 means dry lake johnson valley

Johnson Valley offers something for everyone, it's not just the Hammers, but for you rock crawlers amongst us, It doesn't get much better than this :)

Last years Johnson Valley run had a great turnout and I expect nothing less this year.

So get out your calendars/date books and set aside the 17th to support the efforts to save Johnson Valley - not to mention getting your junk out in the dirt.

We've seeing quite a few new members joining up and I hope to see everyone out there...

Rick

PS - Pictures and comments from the 2008 event are HERE

See less See more
#5 ·
If I go, and you Motel-6 it, I'll split with you (unless, of course, your wife is there).

If I had a motel room, I could tube-door it without having to worry about someone accidentally walking away with a set of Tacoma doors.

#9 ·
Nothing currently planned.. Any suggestions? :D

I'm sure (hoping anyway) that we will be able to offer something for everyone. It'll all depend on turnout.

I missed last years run, so I'm relying purely on the help of other members - you volunteering? ;)

#8 ·
Im going to try and have my truck ready to go by then. Will there be any planned easy trail runs? I dont have a locker or 4x4.

#10 ·
i would recommend that if u have 4wd u try to hit fissure mountain the 2wds i would say kinda go explore the area theres lots of dirt roads plus a couple sand dunes

and anyone with 33s locked front and rear if u wanna go ill take u up claw hammer but be aware u can get body damage so if ur scared of dents stay away

but theres plenty to do out there for everyone

#11 ·
Will one of the staff members contact Jerry (pimpintacoma) to lead another "race course" run for the LT guys, or stock 2wd trucks. I would ask him myself, but its not my place to make those kind of decisions.

If there is a prerunner run this time, i will defintely be sleeping in my truck....the wind last year was horrible.....the guys in the tent next to me had their tent poles snapp in half in the middle of the night LOL

#85 ·
well i gotta say. you were right. ive never run it before but the guys i went with today said it was way worse than last time.the 2 SA rigs had no problem. but myself and the other ifs guy who went did. i only got strapped through one section (waterfall) but it took some finesse to get all the way up. i ended up with alittle body damage but we all made it in one peice. i had a blast though.

#37 ·
yes indeed have u seen my truck im locked on 37s dual cased with a 4.7s in the rearcase and 116 in wb i built my rig to run the hammers and drive home i have run that trail many times in this past year and mt rig just walks up every thing last night was more difficult running claw than when i ran jack and upper sledge the day before

#34 ·
Bump for JV - thanks for the report 84socal - I'll guess this may discourage some that were looking forward to claw - I hope it doesn't discourage everyone else. Not only are we going to get in some good wheeling, but we are also going to show our support for the Friends of Johnson Valley - kind of a two-fer...

Now's a good a time as any to get an informal list of who's planning on going.

1. pray4surf

#35 ·
i had a blast last year!!
even though i did hav a stock truck, it did very well and i was pleased... had the truck in the air more times than i would have liked though

sadly im not gonna make it this year, due to financial issues, and work issues

#44 ·
By tomorrow this time.... Good to talk to you on the phone :kewl:

A couple of us from All-Pro will be out there. We've been keeping an eye on this thread to see if we can help out in any way. We'd like to lead a run again like we've done in the past. Last year we had a good time on Fissure Mountain, but this year maybe we could go up the road to Cougar Buttes to the new Bullfrog/Cake Walk trail.

I'm excited to be taking my new '08 Tacoma out there for the first time! We're hoping it'll be a good turn-out.

SAVE THE HAMMERS!
Thanks for the offer, I'll be sure to take you up on it :) Check your PM's

Rick

#43 ·
A couple of us from All-Pro will be out there. We've been keeping an eye on this thread to see if we can help out in any way. We'd like to lead a run again like we've done in the past. Last year we had a good time on Fissure Mountain, but this year maybe we could go up the road to Cougar Buttes to the new Bullfrog/Cake Walk trail.

From a few weeks ago off the FJCruiserForums:

I'm excited to be taking my new '08 Tacoma out there for the first time! We're hoping it'll be a good turn-out.

SAVE THE HAMMERS!

#46 · (Edited)
I was planning on being there, but I've been gone the last couple of weekends and Just found out this afternoon that I'm leaving for a month on Monday. So I'll be staying in SD this weekend...

Especially with some of the All-Pro crew leading runs, I'd love to make this one. Sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.