TTORA Forum banner

Marlin's Trail Flex 79-85 Suspension

5K views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  my2coma 
#1 ·
James and myself will soon be ordering suspensions for our 4Runners and figured if we purchased them at the same time we could (1) save on shipping, and (2) possibly get a discount for purchasing 2 kits at the same time. Speaking with Dave over at Marlin I had pretty much decided to go with their Trail Flex kit...

http://www.marlincrawler.com/suspension/full-kits/trail-flex-kit-hilux-1979-85

Pretty straight forward and complete kit.

James was gonna go with their Solid Axle Swap kit, which is a little more expensive. However, Dave mentioned that the Trail Flex kit was the same kit but without the brake rotors, jigs and frame sleeves. He said if James didn't need the rotors (assuming he already had rotors with his donor axle) that he could purchase the Trail Flex kit and purchase the jigs and sleeves seperate for an extra $40 bucks.

So this is our plan at the moment. Any thoughts or comments concerning this kit before we take the plunge?

Thanks

#2 ·
I have my frame jigs still. And James, you're gonna need some wheel spacers and I'd suggest ordering the FJ60 rotors and pads.
I did basically the same thing when I did the white truck. Bought the trail flex kit along w/ frame jigs, tubes, rotors, and brake pads. I already had the wheel spacers. I came out about $200 ahead of if I'd ordered the SAS kit and rear lift.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I think that using FJ60 rotors is about the only way to make your IFS calipers work w/ a solid axle. Solid axle rotors aren't vented (solid piece of metal), and the IFS ones (better calipers) are made to go w/ vented rotors a la FJ60. Anyway, the rotors and pads from marlin are still pretty cheap, i'm sure it would be less than an add'l $100

#21 ·
you guys may want to order new rear shckle mounts with your kits to center rear wheel in wheel well.
yeah, forgot about that. I didn't need it since the 94 has longer stock rear springs.

#24 ·
If we're getting a bunch of orders together give me a shout, too. I need a dual case adapter, a rear axle rebuild kit, and a solid spacer and shims.

#26 ·
Does marlin and All pro use the leaf springs ?

On marlins is says who makes his but allpro it does not say.

#27 ·
I'm pretty sure they're the same. The rear 5" Allpro springs that were on the goat are exactly the same as the rear 5" springs that came from Marlin. Same military wrap leaves, same part number painted on them, same number of leaves, same length, etc.

#28 ·
thats what I thought. Cause I was leaning toward the all pro springs but the marlin flex kit is better I think.

#29 ·
Well, we're getting a discount based on purchasing 2 kits. We might get a better discount for purchasing more than 2 so if anybody wants in on that just let me know. As far as placing orders on other random parts I don't know if they'd give us any price break. I know I can save us on the shipping...Marlin's price is a flat rate of $195.00 on shipping one kit. I can probably cut that price almost in half for the kits getting them all shipped on one pallet and then we would just split the freight cost.

#30 ·
I love my marlin springs, they are super flexy on the trail and okay to drive on the road...I also have 37s on the 5in springs, but mine rub on the firewall at full lock and stuff. But my tires are 13 inches wide, and for some reason I dont think a 12.50 would rub, but im not positive on that...

Oh and mine didnt settle very much at all!!

#31 ·
yeah, mine bind up pretty good on the firewall w/ 37x12.50 tires.

And mine didn't really settle all that much. I guess they did when I added bumpers, sliders, and a winch, though.

#32 ·
Yeah, mine still arent broken in yet... cause they are still somewhat stiff! I really need to go 4wheeling again!! haha

My winch didnt even budge my springs! You can hang from the front bumper and it still doesnt move!

#33 ·
SO.... did yall order yet??
just curious on what kind of discount yall got

#39 ·
:saw:Let the work begin............Soon that is......very soon....is there a WAT i see coming in the future???? maybe more than one....

#41 ·
Well, after 2 months they finally got all the parts in and are sitting on a pallet waiting to be picked up. I got the freight company scheduled to pick it up in the morning so it should hit our dock here in about 4 - 5 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.