TTORA Forum banner

ABS coming on >5 mph

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Fresh 
#1 ·
I searched through many threads and couldn't find the answer, so if it's out there I apologize in advance. I have an '04 Tacoma, recently I had and ABS code 34. I diagnosed it to be the cable. Got a new cable, and the code/problem went away.

Currently no ABS/CEL codes. When I am decelerating using normal brake pressure between 5 mph and stopping my ABS is momentarily engaging and the brake pedal pushes back against my foot. It will quickly come on and then disengage. When it first happened I took it that I had just worked on the system. However, this has persisted now for a couple of weeks.

Anyone ever experienced this before, or are there any threads out there referencing this issue that I failed to come across? Thanks.

#2 ·
My 98' Tacoma did the same thing. I think tacomas have been doing this since they were created! Dealership tried to charge me 2300 to fix it. I just yanked the ABS relay. No more ABS problems. Being how yours is considerably newer you would probably like to fix it. I would check your wheel speed sensors. Make sure they are not dirty or anything.

#5 ·
Make sure that the abs sensor is in flush and not crooked also check the abs tone ring on the axle to make sure it is free of debris or damage. What you describe is very common with a sensor issue also make sure the other sensors arent getting pushed up by rust forming underneath them on the axle housing/steering knuckle.

#6 ·
Holy Smokes...It might be too early to tell, but I think I solved the problem. 85ATC350x you might have been right. There was some dirt/dust on the passenger rear speed sensor on the surface that sits flush to the tone ring. I cleaned it all off, and so far the ABS hasn't come on when stopping. We'll see if this works long term.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.