TTORA Forum banner

Ls7 Swap Into 01-04 Tacoma

21K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  ricomann 
#1 ·
Is there anyone out there who has swapped an LS7 into a 01-04 Tacoma 4x4and what kind of mods are needed and can the frame handle it. A good manual tranny to go with it.

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
First mod: sell your truck.
Second mod: buy a corvette.
Done.
First off if the Op wants to dream who is to say he can't? will the mod be practical? who is to say? is the idea possible, probably not, but that is how life gets improved, people thinking outside the box.

Hell when I was high school, I thought about putting a small block chevy into a tubed out Karma Ghia…was that practical? was it feasable? no to both, but it was fun to dream about and try and solve all the issues involved with such a swap, and what do you know 20 years later, here I am driving a severly modified solid axled tacoma that has some things done differently than what everyone else has done…but then again that isn't practical either now is it?

and by the way guys, this is the Newbie tech section, in which flaming is not allowed. Instead of being sarcastic, a little tack and knowledgable responses would make this a better "place"

I am not trying to start any bashing, just trying to keep this place civil!

#7 ·
I'd be willing to bet that there is less than 100 lbs difference between the V6 and the aluminum chevy motor and they did a tundra V8 swap into an 05-07 last year for SEMA. So, that being said, this is a very do-able swap. Would I do it? no. Simple reason: costly engine adapter issues and you may have to reinforce the frame a little. I would use a toyota V8 and make my life a lot simpler. But, if you really want to do it, there is a company named KEP (kennedy engineered products) in socal that can make your adapter and custom flex plate/flywheel. What the fuck, I put a camaro body on a blazer chassis in high school. So flame away. There, now thats helpful info.

#8 ·
anything is possible, its just a matter of how much modification is necessary. remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.

#14 ·
#13 ·
Too bad the OP went AWOL. I'd love to see how hes doing. I'm waiting for some pics of the motor, his truck, some modding, some hackin'. Hey man, when you get done with your sick swap, throw in a bicycle shifter, 4 wheelbarrow tires, and you'll be good to throw a 1500 badge on it, better yet let me save you some dough; TURD Even comes with a sweet chrome bumper. And its already got the v8 in it.
:kewl::kewl:

#15 ·
Hell ya, I allways thought it could be possible to put a Supra moter in a Tacoma~ maybe one day if I ever make some money..

#16 ·
you should just use a 6.0 out of a chevy truck, with exhaust, cam, and tune it will roll out in a toyota...but i have no info about the swap, but an ls7 isnt all that great, if anything, grab a forged lsx block and just build something that will be alot better for the same price or less

#17 ·
but an ls7 isnt all that great
Are you kidding? That motor is a monster for a production N/A engine considering it doesn't have the technology/expense of an exotic supercars V10 or V12 motor. That thing also has a great high RPM power for such a large engine.

What exactly don't you like about it? The thing even has forged titanium connecting rods... hehe.

#20 ·
Gay. For all the work I would just pick up a 2wd yota p/u and do it to that. The 2jz setup would be sick!

#22 ·
#29 ·
That must be a really fun car, but considering the fact that the body of that thing is soo light(with the stock drivetrain that Civic is about 900 pounds lighter than the C6 non-Z06 Corvette).... even with slicks on, it was still about 1/4 to 1/2 a second slower in the quarter mile than a stock 2005-2007 C6 Vette can do it in. That's kinda pathetic if you ask me.

Never mind the fact that a C6 Z06 Vette does a quarter mile in a good 1 to 1/2 seconds better than it.

#24 ·
i'd say... do it with a ls1/2/6 to keep the cost down. probably gonna need to use a F-body oil pan that's rear sump. stick with an auto tranny... find a divorced T-case (np205) or something

need to fab up motor mounts and a few cross members..

might be able to stay with the stock toyota fuel system? if its a return style system... i dunno

might be able to stay with the stock radiator too.. LS engines come factory with electric fans though.. so you'll have to wire in a taraus fan or use camaro fans or something

people have been putting chevy V8s in toyotas for years.. I just don't understand it though. yota stuff is pretty dependable

#27 ·
you don't get it? seriously?

Look, it's the same as obscenely large chacha's on a small, thin, gorgeously pettit kind of frame, with a hotttttt back end.

Now maybe she's a death trap, and or a financial pitfall, but she's something warm and inviting that someone, somewhere, wants to get into.

it's like saying that chicks on the latino version of playboy aren't hot because they don't speakey the english... but hey, they are hot to someone. it's brilliant that someone pulled this swap off even if I agree it is trivial and a bit stooooopid, it would be fun to rip off 25-30 laps at a proper road course with a car like that.

isn't a civic way lighter than a corvette?

#30 ·
phsysics is telling me that this is a traction limitation kind of issue. but imagine being able to light them up at hammer down while doing 100, that would be so freaking cool.

road going race cars haven't done that in a decade that i know of, not in the dry anyway. the 1000hp days of the F1 turbo era, the old porsche 917's (McQueen era... ) imagine.

oh man, that's ballsy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.