TTORA Forum banner

Project Hillclimber

45K views 480 replies 25 participants last post by  NwiTACO 
#1 ·
It may take me a year or two to complete.....but im starting the :saw: :welder: thread .......... the :saw: :welder: thread for what? well when i post pics tomorrow......you'll understand. Be afraid.........be vvveeerrrryyy afraid........cause i know i am.

#462 ·
the steering linkage still sucks and needs to be redone
DS support bearing
Master cylinder needs to be swapped
i need larger tires so im not driving 60 on the freeway with 4.88's
my rear locker just shit out on me....again
the rear springs need to be properly done.....or just link the rear with a 3-link
02 sensors
belly skid
crossmember needs to be trimmed to clear the front DS at full stuff

...thats alot of stuff for no funds and no garage.

#461 ·
its time to face the truth...i havent been wheeling in two years, my truck is only 90% "done", i work for the EPA & i dont make enough money to properly develop my truck. Its depressing to walk out to a vehicle everyday that has at least one thing wrong with it. Maybe ill pick up wheeling again after i get settled into a real job and life, but at this point im traveling WAY too much (ive already put 20,000 miles on my SAS) and have more important things to spend my hard earned money on.

#463 ·
Well if you trade it in, I'll trade ya bumpers:D

#464 ·
Brian, the last thing I want to do is be the first one to tell you not to do something, but I am also in the same shoes you are. You know when the last time I went wheeling (behind the wheel) was because you were with me.

I have felt on many occasions such as you do now. In fact my recent bout was last week. But Momma Bear is good about talking me out of getting rid of the truck and I am thankful.

With that being said, let me put a spin to your reasoning so to speak. Right now, with the winter months, it is easy to get discouraged about everything in life, especially since we are from the same part of the country, where summer is perpetual. But once the weather warms up and you are able to spend some more quality time with the truck, (money or none) you will have a brighter look at the final outcome. IF that was not the case do you think I would have stuck with my junk as long as I have?

I agree you do a lot of traveling but maybe if you can nurse the truck along until funds increase, you could buy a d.d. that will also help your outlook.

just some thoughts to hopefully get you thinking. We need to keep you around because you are definitely a strong and solid cog to our little TTORA machine we are trying to build up in these parts.

#465 ·
well thankyou for trying to talk me out of it. I seem to have a knack for knowing when i need to cut bait and live to fight another day...and this is that time. I need to get my life in order first. ill still be around and i will always help others do quality fab work (especially utlilizing the lessons learned from my mistakes) but i have to do the right thing at this point. There is no shame in trying something and it not working out. A number of unfortunate events occured and i have to work with what i have...maybe ill be back later after a few years...maybe not...maybe ill pick up a new (cheaper) hobby.

btw, the shop tells me that the gears are done.

#468 ·
blue book is 14,000

ill probably start around 9,000-10,000
Did you compare N.A.D.A to Kelly? I have seen some big differences between the two as the cubs have done their car shopping as of recent.

Unfortunately what we view as improvements by replacing the front suspension, the car market normally views it as depreciating the value of the trucks. But that is stating the obvious as you have already started with an overall lower price.

Any idea on when you might replace it with another trail rig?

#470 ·
Well anyway it is sliced up, it still sucks! just keep in touch and let us know what is going on and if you ever need anything.

#472 ·
hey Brinner i'm here from your past

do you still have the dent in your tailgate from my hand at Harlan a few years back?

I'm with Bear on this one at this point at least it's drivable. if anyone understands the problems your facing right now its me and Bear. The last time my heep of s*&% was on a trail for longer than 10 MINUTES without breaking was in early 2007. last April when I took it to Harlan and it broke on the graval road to the trail i was ready to lose it on the way back home.
( for the record that's 9 hrs down, sleep 5 hrs, 10 MINUTES on the trail, 9 hrs drive home) I quit the hobby and was done PERIOD. 2 months ago i was ready to cut it into tiny little pieces and put it in trash cans. 1 month ago i was going to sell the whole damn thing like you. Now i'm going to fix it. I told my dad it was all his after I put in a new clutch and new fuel lines. I've already traded my 2 sets of wheels and tires for 2 sets of toy axles and i'm planning my next buggy.

I guess what my long winded ass is trying to say is that my recomendation is to forget about the offroading portion of anything right now for 6 mos, keep the truck, then step back and look at it with a little more clarity and all the work you've done and come to far to quit now.

Besides....."My dad is a TV repair man. He's got an ultimate set of tools. I can fix it."
"You can't fix this car Spicoli"
"I can fix it"
that quote is for you

later
Dave

#473 ·
uuuh! uuuuh! can I play? can I play? I know the answer!

oh and BTW! that is a gross avitar! ;)

#479 ·
Haven't really been in town too much to work on her, but I put some new shoes on. I've also been slowly sanding the rust and painting it back to black.

I'm heading to a school in Indiana for 5 weeks.....so no more updates for a bit.

Next up is some fiberglass fenders / softopper campershell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.