TTORA Forum banner

How to fit 35" tires??

11K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Quentin18 
#1 ·
i have a 2000 tundra that i would like to be able to fit 35's under. what is the best way to go about this???how much lift?? i would like to fit 35's cause that is also my goal for my 85 pickup and i would like to be able to have spares. in case of a emergancy.......couple flats on a trail. :(. i have searched but didn't get a real good answer..thanks

#2 ·
The RCD 6" lift allows for 35" tires. Otherwise, if you want to keep the lift minimal, to maybe 3"-4", you'll be needing some trimming in the front and possibly a wheel with less backspacing (I'm thinking 2"-3" at most backspacing. If you go lower than 2" you'll be putting a lot more stress on the wheel bearings and other components) to clear the frame and UCA's.

Check with member devensixtyseven, I believe he's been able to fit 35"s on his rig.

#3 ·
Fit how? Sounds like you're not shy in the garage, if you have an 85 you're building...

First option is the drop bracket...personally I wouldn't go that route, but many have, works fine. More belly clearance than the next option, but you gotta choose between spotting the support bars through the rocks, or considering the torque on the frame of an unsupported drop bracket.

Then there's the coilover/spacer/whatever plus a body lift...that's less expensive, works fine as well. Same clearance everywhere as stock plus two inches from the tires.

IMHO the best solution involves a couple cutting tools and a welder. You can pull the fenders, take care of everything, put it back together with some Herculiner in the wheel well, and it'll look stock but with 35" tires. You'll also tear the screws right out of the fender flares when you flex ;).

You'll need 16x8 wheels with 3.5" backspacing or so, to keep the tires from rubbing the frame. I ran 16x8@4.5, with 1.5" wheel spacers, for years, on and offroad.

Add fiberglass fenders, trim them back about an inch, and you'll have no problems clearing the tires.

Looks about like this when you're done.

You won't need any lift, but I found the best ride height was about 3" over stock, with a set of uniball upper arms. Get the Camburg arms. Wish I had. That oughtta give 5" up, 5" down, and keep the truck off the bumpstops when you come down ledges or hit the bigger g-outs and chunks on the trail.

Add a basic LT kit and it only gets 2" wider, cuz you can lose the wheel spacers up front, and everything fits great.

-Sean

#5 ·
so who makes a good 3" lift or will rough country's 2.5" leveling kit work?.... i can get rough country realy cheap through work thats y i use them...:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.