TTORA Forum banner

Uncommon Mods you can't live without...

164K views 387 replies 201 participants last post by  NinjasYota 
#1 ·
I've read in these forums of all the mods members have done to their rigs that it seems "everybody" does... For example, the Deckplate mod, removing mudflaps, eLocker mods, ect.

I would like to know the "little-known" things you have done to your rigs that have made trail life so much easier that noone "really" hears about. To be honest, I've ran out of ideas and would like to know if there's something I am missing.

Here's one...

My friend has a 1st-gen 4runner with V8, GM trans/transfer, and Yota everything else. He ran his Parking Brake cable back through his firewall (a loop) to his brake petal. With the big tires he has, he can press his brakes and then pull the ebrake handle and it will hold on a VERY steep hill just as good as him holding the brake petal down himself- way better than the stock ebrake. BTW, he has manual brakes (a GM mastercylinder), so it running has no affect on it. He says it's the best thing he could have done to keep his rig from rolling when everyone stops on the trail.

For me, the best thing I done to my 87 was put the Mazda 626 bucket seats in it. The old factory bench seat sucked if I wheeled more than a couple of hours, and you could feel it "bottom out" when you came off a rock or something. The new seats are SO comfortable, I couldn't imagine having to go back. Didn't cost but 50 bucks too!

I'll try to think of others... Lemme hear your ideas!!!

See less See more
#106 ·
hey dell, another hack job for ya hahaha. and its all dirty too.

it does what its supposed to do and doesnt wiggle around and feel all flimsy like the oe one did. the box is removeable and my wet okole cover fit the lid over some padding. still have to do some "refining" and polishing and add a quick release clamp to the rear to keep the box from flying in an accident.

it cost me 0$, it looks like it, and im proud.

#107 · (Edited)
Here are a couple of things I have not seen posted before:

1) Removed FM Antenna and replaced with a hidden antenna:

2) DC power outlets in bed (also the little piece of carpet in the cubby keeps the dust out.

3) Durarib mats in bed and on tailgate, attached with industrial Velcro stuck to tailgate. Also note the weather stripping in two locations to keep the dust out.

4) I already had these Big Agnes Dual sleeping pads for backpacking, they fit like a glove. Oh and the plywood platform is a great place to put clothes etc when sleeping in back. That is also where the laptop goes for watching movies on long cold winter nights:

5) This last one isn't really a mod but it works so dam well and keeps everything tidy. I use ammo cans to store food and camping supplies.
The ammo cans fit very snug three across:

You can fit the lids across two ammo cans to make a table for the stove. Ammo cans also deter critters.

#182 · (Edited)
3) Durarib mats in bed and on tailgate, attached with industrial Velcro stuck to tailgate. Also note the weather stripping in two locations to keep the dust out.
I like that idea...I had thought of getting some plywood and covering with indoor/outdoor carpet and getting longer screws and attaching to the tailgate. Yours is much nicer, not permanent, etc.

Where can you get those Durarib mats?

#108 ·
not super uncommon, but my door key open alarm, i removed it and can't be happier.

#109 ·
NICE DIAMOND PLATING x 2

#111 ·
since its getting cold here. when I wheel in winter I take a propane torch. to thaw my hubs, valve caps, e-brake, brakes in general. and whatever else gets frozen inplace.

#112 ·
speaking of cold.... back when I had my 76 FJ40, during winter months me and my brother-in-law (he had a 73), and my roommate (also had a 73) all put pizza-box cardboard in front of the radiator. It never over-heated, but lemme tell you, it'd get the heaters rockin'!! It was the best thing I done for the cold (short of installing a factory rear-heater)...

#115 ·
I swear by that stuff.. I am trying to get them to put in on the windshield of our helicopters.. cant see crap in the rain... and the wipers make it worse...

#117 ·
it's probably been mentioned but on-board air is something i can't live without anymore. and besides a rear locker, it would be the first thing i do to a new truck. mv-1050!!!

#119 ·
Definatly... I have a ViAir 450 underhood on my taco.. which my dad is buying.. but said he will buy me another 450 to put in my diesel.. great for fixing tires, airing up airbags.. etc..

In fact I used my OBA last night to top off tires and level the truck at a gas station while the wife fed the baby.. middle of a 500 mile road trip.

#120 ·
ah64id: The other day we were pushing through a little village on foot where we came into contact and battalion finally got us some support and pushed a couple of AH's over to us. You wouldn't know how much peace of mind you guys give us when you're orbitting overhead. If I ever get the chance to meet you I'll buy you a beer :xbeer3:

#122 ·
Okay, store bought "mod" but worth its weight in gold... Last night I got off work around midnight and ice was all over all the vehicles. While everyone was scraping their windows, I got out my can of ice melter spray (WalMart brand) and was off and going in just a couple minutes. Worth every penny. I know it is not really a mod, but something I will never leave off my truck in winter.

#129 ·
I think this is my favorite, so far!

Reccessed bed lights.

Thought about doing that on the 07 before I sold it, now with the shear size of my bed I am thinking about it agian.. even with a cargo light. I also want to put a set of led bed lights inside the tool box since the lid blocks the cargo light... I was thinking of a switch in the tailgate, so when its open the lights are on.. or whenever the cargo light is on.

#132 ·
I got a few for you guys!!!!

I mounted mini fog lights(ones that you see on most hondas/imports) in the back of my cab right above both rear quarter windows they work excellent and birght as hell as dome lights lol and its fun to mess with people who sit in the back....post pics later

Next i installed a backup camera and mounted a toggle switch just above the emergency brake, works like a charm and very accesible

Lastly i have a supercharger on my truck and i purchased a URD Performance Calibration Unit and I apliced all the wires into thew correct ones of the ECU and removed the power one and bypassed it and installed an additional toggle switch near the one next to my back up camera and used a fancy lil label maker to mark each....great and cheap mods FTW!

#133 ·
My friend has a 1st-gen 4runner with V8, GM trans/transfer, and Yota everything else. He ran his Parking Brake cable back through his firewall (a loop) to his brake petal. With the big tires he has, he can press his brakes and then pull the ebrake handle and it will hold on a VERY steep hill just as good as him holding the brake petal down himself- way better than the stock ebrake. BTW, he has manual brakes (a GM mastercylinder), so it running has no affect on it. He says it's the best thing he could have done to keep his rig from rolling when everyone stops on the trail.
do you have any more info on this? i currently dont have a parking brake. the previous owner removed all hardware from transfer case back. the brackets have been cut from the axel even. im too poor to buy a trans break. i did several searches but didnt find any more info on this trick. would i have to change to a gm master cylinder for it to work. thanx
jackson

#134 ·
I dont have any more info on what he did, but I do know that it would not be good trusting the brake petal to hold if a power brake setup loses vaccuum. He, like many I know, went with a 1-ton GM truck master cylinder because it is a non-power brake master cylinder and it costs like $11 at Autozone. Cheap to replace, part is readily-available, and doesnt need the motor to run to work. Just drill holes to mount (Toyota has 4 studs, MC has to holes...) and modify push-rod to right length and it works great. As far as the park-brake, all I know is he ran the cable back to the firewall and used a fitting to attach it to the brake petal and it works great for him. Sorry I have no pics or any more info...

#140 ·
Hitch Flip

Someone already mentioned it but I thought I would post a pic. The bolt pattern for the hitch cross piece is symetrical so, you cut out behind the license plate, unbolt the cross piece, flip, then bolt up again. Nice thing is now I have a protected place for backup lights ($13 rubber tracker lights). The baby just adds traction ;)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.