Sas Shop... - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Regional Forums > By State > Florida > Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
man2000me

Default Sas Shop...

I'm looking for a shop in florida that is familuar with the SAS on a tacoma. It seems all the shops I talk to have never done a Tacoma swap before and can't get over the fact I'm using a d44. They keep saying, "Isn't the axel going to be to wide, why don't you use a Toyota axel?" And I end up explaining what that the d44 is the right with and that the tacoma has a driver side drop. So far everyone I have talked to said they were going to charge 2500-4000 to cut everything off and to weld the new stuff on. I have all the parts just need someone to cut and weld...
man2000me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
GatorTaco
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to GatorTaco

that doesn't sound too rediculous of a price (at least from my limited knowledge), but I wouldn't want anybody doing it to my truck unless they've done it before, or can give me some sort of warranty or guarantee that they'll fix it till it's right. I called Lokey 4x4 around Tampa a couple years back asking about it, and they seemed to act like they've done it before.
GatorTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
xx1joe1xx

Send a message via AIM to xx1joe1xx

ill cut and weld what evr u got where u located?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
subliminaltrips

that sounds a little high, try a-1 tire and suspension in ocala. sean knows his stuff. you do realize you could get a really nice welder and rent a garage for what most places would charge and do it yourself...

only problem i see with the d44 and a toy rear is the gear ratios would not match but thats what manual hubs are for. and width could be compensated for in alot of different ways

www.blueyfab.com
subliminaltrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
MKTundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorTaco View Post
that doesn't sound too rediculous of a price (at least from my limited knowledge), but I wouldn't want anybody doing it to my truck unless they've done it before, or can give me some sort of warranty or guarantee that they'll fix it till it's right. I called Lokey 4x4 around Tampa a couple years back asking about it, and they seemed to act like they've done it before.
X2 for Lokey 4x4 (I-275 & Dale Mabry) Talk to Harry. They have worked on several Toyotas
MKTundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:06 AM   #6
TacomaHarry
Veteran Member

I like my lift, It's good for what I do. Lokey 4x4 put it in, I got a good deal on installation cost. There was a problem with putting my coils and struts together. They did fix it after I talked to Doug at Toytech and he called Lokey and explained how to put it in.
I've had two lifts put on two different vehicles and both times I've had problems with the installation. So I'm not the best person to recommend an installer. If I could I would do it myself. But I'm just too picky.

Hope yours goes good for you.

http://www.ttora.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=621
TacomaHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:43 AM   #7
WiLlDaBeAsT

Quote:
Originally Posted by man2000me View Post
I'm looking for a shop in florida that is familuar with the SAS on a tacoma. It seems all the shops I talk to have never done a Tacoma swap before and can't get over the fact I'm using a d44. They keep saying, "Isn't the axel going to be to wide, why don't you use a Toyota axel?" And I end up explaining what that the d44 is the right with and that the tacoma has a driver side drop. So far everyone I have talked to said they were going to charge 2500-4000 to cut everything off and to weld the new stuff on. I have all the parts just need someone to cut and weld...
Dana 44 will match up to a stock Tacoma rear end in width, same size. Gearing you can get close, most of the D44 ratios can get within 10% of the Toyota ratios. I am runninf 5.38's in my D44 and 5.29's in the back with a locker and 38's and have been for 6 years. That axle will work fine. Easier IMO to rebuild and get parts for. The Toyota axle is cool and all but you would need a spacer kit to widen it out to match the rear. Those shops don't sound like they have done many Tacoma swaps. $2500.00 is a pretty damn good deal to get it done considering everything that goes into the swap. Let me know if you need any info or help, i'm bout an hour south of Tampa ( not a shop though , do it on my own time. Done a few of them now...
WiLlDaBeAsT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #8
stikkimikki87
Veteran Member

we will do it for 1600 labor, probably take 5-7 days, any parts you need that you might not have i can probably get you a good price in the event we have to get something you missed. I have a SAS thread on the main ttora page that you can check out. But i am in Pensacola which may be a long haul for you. 850-471-9900 if you are interested, Enhanced Offroad

sounds like you already know your stuff... a Dana 44 doesnt match up to a tacoma, thats not really a true statement. A d44 from a grand wagoneer matches a tacoma wms, but not all d44s do. Most d44s are front chevy and ford fullsizes that will be what 65-67 wms? something like that anyways.

If you are interested, i have a hand full of questions as far as your set up. But you may already have all the specs that you want so thats probably not a problem...good luck with your SAS no matter which route you take. Its a very satisfying feeling when you are done, well worth the money in my opinion.