Snorkel build/Write up - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Regional Forums > By State > Florida > Panhandle Region
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
nine8taco

Default Snorkel build/Write up

Alright soo I'm from TN and up there theres not much of a point in snorkels unless youre being foolish, most water looks like what it is and you can usually avoid the deep stuf if you want to. Ive never been too much of a fan of the look of a snorkel, but now that the military moved me to FL ive seen the necessity of one. Water down here is really really deceiving! Theres even floating grass stuff that looks like a nice flat yard but its not its 3 and half feet deep....dont ask how i know! Anyway, with all that being said heres my build, i also relocated my antenna, as well as my washer fluid resevoir because my 12.50's were tearing it up pretty bad. Let me know what you guys think, be honest, ive got my suit on. And just as a heads up the captions are for the pictures above them...didnt make much sense when i previewed this thread buuut im not gonna retype it all.

First i taped off the area where i intended to cut and wrapped some single layer cardboards around the tube and taped it, i held the tube where i wanted it and slid the cardboard down to meet the fender and trimmed it to make the correct size hole without making it too large and stupid looking.

Heres the weapon of choice at the point of no return, rmember to moeasure twice, cut once! Notice how theres a blue pen circle and then a sharpie on...Yikes! that would have sucked!

Once the fender was cut i slid the tube down into the fenderand marked what needed to be cut inside the fender, i also removed the plastic elbow that goes from the airbox to the wheel well, seen in the right side of the above pic.

I removed the airbox, and trimmed the flared end off of the tube that goes into the airbox where it connects to aforementioned elbow, so the the flexible hose will go over it, i slid the hose over it put 1 screw through it on each side to hold it against pulling forces and then siliconed it thoroughly all the way around.

Heres the way it looks installed.

Heres how the hose runs inside the fender, i used a clamp to hold the hose up in the fender.

Heres another picture of the hose running inside the fender and you can see in the top left where the washer fluid resevoir went.

Heres why i relocated the resevoir, I hate rubbing! haha and yea yea yea i knew the tires would rub when i went with a 12.50

A little better view of the resevoir, i first removed it and then cut the neck off at the tank and then right under the cap, i set the part with the cap on it into the tank and heated it up to melt it together, and then of course siliconed it to be safe. I also cut off a small "foot" on the bottom of the tank so it would sit a bit lower. I had to hammer the hood framing in about an 1/8" in a 2" circle so the hood doesnt touch it at all. I removed all of the wiring hold downs holding the washer fluid hose and wiring and pushed it back up into the engine compartment, and reconnected the hose and wiring, everything works great! i heated up and bent the hold down arms and drilled another hole to hold it in. Its very sturdy and leaves me with an empty front right fender and no more rubbing!

Heres the finished product, i know ive got alot stuff that didnt get pictures taken of it, sorry guys, i just got in the groove and kept on trucking.

Heres how it runs through the fender

On the left you can see how the antenna got relocated, I broke off the plastice part on the bottom of the antenna and used the bracket that held it to hold the antenna where it went through the fender and then bent the antenna to go through the holw where the tube goes and then follow the tube, i cleaned up the ground for the antenna and it actually works great!
You can see how it runs in one of the pics above.

After all the and building thats how it ended up! All right guys thats about it, let me know what you think! Be honest!
1998 tacoma extended cab 2.7l 5spd-OME 882's-all pro std 3 inch rear kit-33x12.5 km2s-wheelers black type b's-clearanced bed and high clearance rear bumper-mossyrock sliders-trail gear low profile tube bumper-trail gear transmission crossmember/tcase skid-smittybilt xrc8 winch-custom snorkel-4.30's-elocker w/ skid-u bolt flip kit-2 lo mod

-Jordan
nine8taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
coryc85

Wow, exterior wise it looks pretty good. I think you can find door trim to wrap the edge of the hole instead of that fuel hose you are using now to make it cleaner. What kind of pipe or tubing is that outside tubing and how is it joined to that flex tube? You siliconed where the flex meets the airbox, so all in all, I'd say pretty good job. Where did you get the snorkel head? Is that an ARB? Can you show how it is attached to the window frame and what kind of clamps those are? I really need a snorkel, don't really want to pay $350, but I want it to look this good.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
nine8taco

hey big thanks for the props on it. The flex tube is attatched to the snorkel tube the same way it is to the airbox with 2 screws and then siliconed. I know that i can get smaller trim but this is just stuff i had laying around. The head is from ebay, its the same style as a safari head but probably just knock off. The outside tubing is just 2" pvc pipe that i heated up and bent to the desired angle. The clamps are just galvanized steel from lowes as well i think theyre called piped hangers?? ill snap some pics for you and get them on here when i get the chance. I really didnt want to pay the ridiculous dealer prices on these things either! let me know if you have any questions or need anything, where do you live btw, may be able to help you out.
1998 tacoma extended cab 2.7l 5spd-OME 882's-all pro std 3 inch rear kit-33x12.5 km2s-wheelers black type b's-clearanced bed and high clearance rear bumper-mossyrock sliders-trail gear low profile tube bumper-trail gear transmission crossmember/tcase skid-smittybilt xrc8 winch-custom snorkel-4.30's-elocker w/ skid-u bolt flip kit-2 lo mod

-Jordan
Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Bawlzdeep

My Rig: 97 4Runner

Looks good man. Wish it would rain so that we could test these out!
TRD S/C'd/R150F 5spd Swap/lockers and 4.88s/Toytec Ultimate 3.5 Lift/1.5" rear spacers/diff drop/35x12.5R17 Pitbull Rockers/Spidertrax 1.25" spacers/AOR bumper/Smitty Built XRC8 Winch/blue wire mod/Crystal headlights/6000K HIDs/LED light bar/compresor+tank/Savage Skids/Herculined floors and lots of stickers for added horse power
Bawlzdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
coryc85

Heated and bent PVC huh? That's a good idea. I appreciate the offer of help, but I'm in Fort Lauderdale, and I believe you are in the panhandle....LOOOONG drive. Thanks tho

I'll just have to stick to web inspiration. Post some more pics when you get a chance, I'd be proud of that baby.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #6
nine8taco

Yea heating and bending the pvc was really not that hard just light concentrated heat and then bend away, hold it where you want it till it cools and then voila! Ill get those pics when i get the chance, let me know what exactly you want. And jon mine is a preventative measure for just in case, im sure as hell not going to drive it out in the damn ocean!!!!! hahaha

-Jordan
Old 05-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Bawlzdeep

The ocean?!? Who in their right mind would do something like that?
TRD S/C'd/R150F 5spd Swap/lockers and 4.88s/Toytec Ultimate 3.5 Lift/1.5" rear spacers/diff drop/35x12.5R17 Pitbull Rockers/Spidertrax 1.25" spacers/AOR bumper/Smitty Built XRC8 Winch/blue wire mod/Crystal headlights/6000K HIDs/LED light bar/compresor+tank/Savage Skids/Herculined floors and lots of stickers for added horse power
Old 05-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
nine8taco

Dude i have no idea!

-Jordan
Old 06-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
Bawlzdeep

Smile

Well first the ocean then this
Attachment 25805

Last edited by Bawlzdeep; 01-06-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
nine8taco

hahahahaha

-Jordan