+3 inch over stock CO options? - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > General Tech > Suspension
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
andrewva

Default +3 inch over stock CO options?

Im looking for some opinions on an idea I had. here are the facts, '04 4x4 v6 trd, TC uca's and King coilovers.

Out of the box my CO's were set to 2 inches over stock height(level). To get the next inch of lift requires 5 turns of spring preload and I was warned by King that the ride will be stiff, surprise surprise they were right.

Here is my idea, what if I were to crank my CO's back down to level height but add a 1/2" spacer between the top plate and the vehicle. It would take away the excess preload in the spring and make the shock longer there by increasing lift.

Could it really be this simple, or is this a big no-no for some reason that im missing??
andrewva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
davestaco

My Rig: 97 taco+runner

Do not do this! At full droop the lower ball joint will be pushed past it's limit of travel and may fail. The down travel of the suspension is limited by the length of the coilover shock.
davestaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
andrewva

i have never heard of the lower ball joint being an issue as far as being maxed out. would this happen with a 3 inch spacer lift too?
andrewva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
ike
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1999 tacoma

The geometry of the front suspensions on these trucks doesn't like more than 2 inches of lift. If you feel you need more sas or go with a drop bracket.

I like goats

87 cherocar
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
4wd_mofo
Veteran Member

My Rig: 2001 badass red
Send a message via AIM to 4wd_mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
The geometry of the front suspensions on these trucks doesn't like more than 2 inches of lift. If you feel you need more sas or go with a drop bracket.
+1, also got to figure anything past 2" of lift and your CV's are going to be shot like mine were. 2.5" is pushing it, but yea i'd say its SAS or DB for +4" of lift. BL is also a cheap option, but most recommend not doing it.
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
4wd_mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
hytenor
Going John Galt

My Rig: '00 Tacoma

keep the 2" of sus lift and throw in a 1" body lift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
hytenor is offline   Reply With Quote