PreRunners only auto??How good are the autos? Help! - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Early Tacoma Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
MdOffroad

Default PreRunners only auto??How good are the autos? Help!

Toyota Newbie, so be gentle lol:
Ok, so I am looking for a PreRunner. I have decided that 3 minor snowfalls in 6 years isn't mandating a 4wd. I like, no LOVE the look for the Prerunner Taco's and have decided, this is what I want. I drive a 99 Jeep Grand cherokee with the 4.0 6 cylinder in it so I am not used ot blinding acceleration etc. I am jsut curious how the 4 cyl (which I want) does with the auto? Is it just sad?? Mileage wear points to look for (100 this breaks, 150 that breaks etc)? Do they even MAKE the prerunner in a 5 speed? I have YET to see one.
Am I still correct that the 4 banger is still a 200k plus motor like the old 22RE?
What kind of things should I look for in a 2WD Taco? Am I correct the Prerunner is just a 4wd with a 2wd tranny and no front diff set?? so all the 4wd suspension should work etc?? Thanks for the patiance, and thanks in advance...

Matt

Forest Hill, Md
MdOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
chris4x4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdOffroad View Post
Toyota Newbie, so be gentle lol:
Ok, so I am looking for a PreRunner. I have decided that 3 minor snowfalls in 6 years isn't mandating a 4wd. I like, no LOVE the look for the Prerunner Taco's and have decided, this is what I want. I drive a 99 Jeep Grand cherokee with the 4.0 6 cylinder in it so I am not used ot blinding acceleration etc. I am jsut curious how the 4 cyl (which I want) does with the auto? Is it just sad?? Mileage wear points to look for (100 this breaks, 150 that breaks etc)? Do they even MAKE the prerunner in a 5 speed? I have YET to see one.
Am I still correct that the 4 banger is still a 200k plus motor like the old 22RE?
What kind of things should I look for in a 2WD Taco? Am I correct the Prerunner is just a 4wd with a 2wd tranny and no front diff set?? so all the 4wd suspension should work etc?? Thanks for the patiance, and thanks in advance...

Matt
The Prerunner is the same as the 4x4, just without the 4x parts. I like mine, mpg's in the 18's to 20's. Truck has plenty of power. It smokes my Dodge Dakota with the 4.7 v8.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
MdOffroad

what drivetrain in yours?? I am looking for a fun, daily commuter 4 miles each way to work, but will be comfy enough for 3 hour drives to the ocean etc...oh yeah, and a long vehicle life

Forest Hill, Md
MdOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
Kyota
hardcore dude

Chris4x4 has the V6...BTW.

Says in his sig. Just a 70 or so HP difference. (just a hair)

The new gen Tacoma prerunners can get a 5 speed. 04 and back didnt. If I recall correctly. I am no master on new ones.
Kyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
NorcalPR
NorCal Chapter Pres

My Rig: SAS'd 01 Tacoma
Send a message via AIM to NorcalPR

FYI, this is more suited for the Prerunner Tech.

Read the sig...

Anywho, the tranny for the prerunner is the nearly the same as a 4x4, without a xfercase. It is not the same tranny as a mini 2wd.

Do you live in NorCal? Have you checked out the NorCal Section located here? If not check in today!
NorcalPR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
tguthrie

If you really want a 4cyl get a manual tranny for sure, better utilization of power. A 4cyl autowill be a dog. Along with the 4cyl the V6 5VZFE is a 200k plus engine if taken care of, its an awsome motor. just my .02
Old 03-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
brentb
Veteran Member

I have the 2.7l 4x4 auto check my sig and I have drove it across the US 5 times and have towed up to 5000 pounds easily. I range from 18-20 mpg but once again check my sig.

"Dont worry it has airbags. Besides my brakes are fine"
brentb is offline   Reply With Quote