1st gen 4runner Interior - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Pickup/Early 4Runner Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
884runner

Question 1st gen 4runner Interior

Im looking for some ideas aftermarket and custom interior ideas for 1st generation 4runners. I am trying to add more practical things such as cup holders, locking storage, lighting, comfort, safety, and make it good looking and most of all functional.

I have made some panels for the rear seat area out of aluminum diamond plate but have yet to decide what to do with the cargo area and door panels. I would also like to do something with my crappy shift bezel.

I will try to get some pictures up this afternoon to show you guys and gals what im working with. Any input and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

88 4runner, 22re, 5speed, 4in Trail Master Lift, 33x12.50 a/t's, Marlin Sliders, Pretty stock

2002 Tacoma trd 4x4 5 speed ext. cab arb front bumper bfg a/t's all pro rear bumper m8000
884runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Son of Mayhem
Veteran Member

Do diamond plate or aluminum rear plates, weld 1in sections and lock your chit in there.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
884runner

the only problem with doing that is the plate just for the middle section was 150$ cut

88 4runner, 22re, 5speed, 4in Trail Master Lift, 33x12.50 a/t's, Marlin Sliders, Pretty stock

2002 Tacoma trd 4x4 5 speed ext. cab arb front bumper bfg a/t's all pro rear bumper m8000
Old 03-31-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
yarosig

It takes a price to be unique, you can start by painting your trunk panels with indoor/ outdoor paint, did it and looks very nice. Also, you could lay out a rubber mat in your trunk instead of the factory cloth one.
yarosig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
884runner

ya i have the mat but i kinda wish i had carpet cause the rubber is a little un comfturble when camping in the back of the beast but its no big deal cause i dont do it much. What color did you paint your panels?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
yarosig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 884runner View Post
ya i have the mat but i kinda wish i had carpet cause the rubber is a little un comfturble when camping in the back of the beast but its no big deal cause i dont do it much. What color did you paint your panels?
Gloss Black. Get some ACE indoor outdoor enamel, best, and cheapest stuff on the market in my opinion.
yarosig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
884runner

ok thanks might give it a try

Old 04-01-2008, 12:02 AM   #8
Hayes

I plan on doing an aluminum dash, full custom autometer guages...etc etc. For the shifter bezel, I plan on making something out of 16 gauge steel and shaping it similar to the stock style. I plan on doing a center console similar to the stock one, except it is going to be taller. I have settled on 11'' tall, for a couple of reasons. I am going to install the CB radio and the stereo inside of the console, while having some storage area with a locking lid covering the whole thing.

The dash will not follow similar lines as the stock dash but will instead be flush to the windowsill and door frame. Then the shifter bezel will start against the firewall, though I might do a downward piece like the stock radio bezel is, to mount switches for lights, rear window switch, and the likes. There is a lot of ideas rolling around inside my head and eventually they will make it out.

-Hayes
Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #9
884runner

when you get the console done post some pictures up i hate mine its in such crappy condition and completely useless.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:08 AM   #10
Peanut Butter
Veteran Member

Quote:
the only problem with doing that is the plate just for the middle section was 150$ cut

Geez! I paid $150 for a sheet cut into 6 2'x4' sections. I used the existing panels to trace a pattern on the back of the diamond plate. I cut it all out with a jigsaw, angle grinder and drill. Took a few hours a panel, and looks tits. I did two panels on each side, and the inside of the tailgate, used weather stripping around the edges to seal the panels and avoid vibrations. I used self-drilling screws to attach the panels. Again, it turned out great, wasn't tough to do.

Ugly 1985 4Runner
Peanut Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #11
884runner

damn i got screwed

Old 04-03-2008, 11:27 PM   #12
Peanut Butter
Veteran Member

Quote:
damn i got screwed
I just hate paying too much, and paying for something that I can probably do. I shopped around, and most of the big sheet metal suppliers had a few thicknesses, and usually charge by the pound. As far as the outcome, I was pretty sure that I could do it, and although it isn't pro, it looks good enough for me. Good luck with yours. It looks really sharp when you're done.

Ugly 1985 4Runner
Old 04-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
884runner

could you post some picks?

Old 04-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
Peanut Butter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yeah, give me a day or two to find a camera and post em.

Ugly 1985 4Runner
Old 04-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #15
nosecondz

Quote:
x2
nosecondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #16
netwt12

i'm going to make a low buck center console out of an ammo can.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:32 AM   #17
Peanut Butter
Veteran Member

Here are the pictures that I promised a little while ago. I sold my work truck for the move to CA, and have been using this as the replacement So, there you have it. Herculined tub, diamond plate panels and tailgate. Super easy to make, cost me about $90 for plate, another 10 for saw blades. Oh, and while I was back there, I wired in a few more speakers, back there where they're better protected. I used self tapping metal screws to mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8926.jpg
Views:	1824
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	13760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8927.jpg
Views:	1295
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	13761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8930.jpg
Views:	1220
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	13762  

Ugly 1985 4Runner
Old 05-08-2008, 05:27 AM   #18
ForeRunner85

My Rig: 1985 T4R

PB, that looks great! Im planning to do diamond plate too, but I want to make some locking access doors for the storage area in the rear quarters. I also plan to paint the diamond plate black. Ive already done a roll-on bedliner all inside.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:42 AM   #19
884runner

dang that looks nice, i finally got mine installed looks kinda bad b/c it does not go all the way back i think i might look into a roll on bed liner sometime soon and rip out the rubber mats and carpet but thanks for the reply

Old 05-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #20
hmmwv15
Veteran Member

I have thought about diamond plate, it's just too expensive. If I did anything I would make it out of fiberboard or something and glue a layer or foam to it, then a layer of real tree or shadow grass fabric.
hmmwv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #21
Peanut Butter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner85 View Post
PB, that looks great! Im planning to do diamond plate too, but I want to make some locking access doors for the storage area in the rear quarters. I also plan to paint the diamond plate black. Ive already done a roll-on bedliner all inside.
Yeah, I'm working on the storage right now. I want to do something similar to the gas door idea. I think I'll use a section of piano hinge (cheap and easy to use), and then cut out the existing areas for storage. I haven't figured out a good way of locking it though. Let me know if you figure it out. Also, you talked about painting your plate black. I think I still may, but the back of my truck gets abused, and paint doesn't last. I painted my rollbar with 2 coats of primer, and 3 coats satin black, and it already looks like crap.

Quote:
dang that looks nice, i finally got mine installed looks kinda bad b/c it does not go all the way back i think i might look into a roll on bed liner sometime soon and rip out the rubber mats and carpet but thanks for the reply
Thanks! I'm really happy with my bediner. I know that it fades, it chips, etc. But I'm a contractor and have beat the crap out of it for a few months, and it still looks great. And I saved $300. I'm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv15 View Post
I have thought about diamond plate, it's just too expensive. If I did anything I would make it out of fiberboard or something and glue a layer or foam to it, then a layer of real tree or shadow grass fabric.
You can always go with steel diamond plate, smaller gauge. It'll be cheaper than aluminum. Or, just go with any kind of cheap sheet metal. Anything's better than chip board. What's it gonna do when it gets wet? or where it contacts the bed? Well, maybe it'll work out great for you, but wood products installed in your truck doesn't make much sense to me. The foam is a great idea though. When the panels were out, I should have put some carpet or sound deadening material down. It's loud as hell in my truck! I've got a Magnaflow exhaust, LCE headers, old 22RE. Anything to quiet it down.

Ugly 1985 4Runner
Old 05-09-2008, 07:18 AM   #22
ForeRunner85

My Rig: 1985 T4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Butter View Post
Yeah, I'm working on the storage right now. I want to do something similar to the gas door idea. I think I'll use a section of piano hinge (cheap and easy to use), and then cut out the existing areas for storage. I haven't figured out a good way of locking it though. Let me know if you figure it out. Also, you talked about painting your plate black. I think I still may, but the back of my truck gets abused, and paint doesn't last. I painted my rollbar with 2 coats of primer, and 3 coats satin black, and it already looks like crap.
i plan on using steel. im gonna let it sit outside and rust a little and then POR15 it. the POR15 is almost like a rubber coating and is real tough. espeacially when it is applied to light rust.
as far as locking ideas, ive been saving pics of tool boxes, storage boxes, and anything that has a locking door to get ideas. i think that some of the storage and toolbox companies sell replacement locks.
i painted my roll bar too. and it got scatches and nicks real quick. i wonder if powder coating it would be worth it?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #23
884runner

I went to the local parts store and got a can of rubber spray on crap and it is seeming to work fine i have 6x9's mounted in mine and they rattle a little bit but i need to put more screws in it

Old 05-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #24
hmmwv15
Veteran Member

not chip board, fiberboard, kind of like peg board except no holes. I figured it would be easier on the fabric than sheetmetal.
hmmwv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:34 AM   #25
Peanut Butter
Veteran Member

Quote:
I went to the local parts store and got a can of rubber spray on crap and it is seeming to work fine i have 6x9's mounted in mine and they rattle a little bit but i need to put more screws in it
Not a bad idea. Cheap and dirty. Also, on the speaker rattle... I bought some adhesive foam weather stripping from Baxters/AutoZone, whatever. Comes in a roll about 8 inches in diameter with one sticky side. I applied it to the inside of the panels, and tacked them down with the self tapping screws. My speakers are 6.25", but even cranked, don't rattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv15 View Post
not chip board, fiberboard, kind of like peg board except no holes. I figured it would be easier on the fabric than sheetmetal.
I get ya, but I still don't get ya! I just shy away from wood panels in trucks. It probably will be easier on fabric, but how much fabric do you have rubbing on the panels? Good luck, and if it works for you, more power to ya!

Ugly 1985 4Runner
Old 05-12-2008, 10:12 AM   #26
DCabTaco
Smoked Out!

Quote:
I sold my work truck for the move to CA
Move to Cali? when is that suppose to happen? So what brings you to Cali? The trend lately is moving out of cali not into it.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:00 AM   #27
Peanut Butter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCabTaco View Post
Move to Cali? when is that suppose to happen? So what brings you to Cali? The trend lately is moving out of cali not into it.
It keeps changing. My new bride and I are probably moving either this weekend or in 2 weeks. Depends on work there and here. Simple answer for the move is to get a change in pace. My business is taking off here, but we have plans to live in Japan for a year. If business gets too big, I know I'll never make it. So, we're making a run for it now, and hoping to pick back up on my business after. I get you about moving out of Cali. My mom's side of the family is from the bay area, and are all here in Oregon now.

Ugly 1985 4Runner
Old 05-13-2008, 06:19 AM   #28
jdblatt
Veteran Member

Quote:
It keeps changing. My new bride and I are probably moving either this weekend or in 2 weeks. Depends on work there and here. Simple answer for the move is to get a change in pace. My business is taking off here, but we have plans to live in Japan for a year. If business gets too big, I know I'll never make it. So, we're making a run for it now, and hoping to pick back up on my business after. I get you about moving out of Cali. My mom's side of the family is from the bay area, and are all here in Oregon now.
NEW BRIDE!?? Didn't you just get rid of one???
Old 05-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #29
Peanut Butter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdblatt View Post
NEW BRIDE!?? Didn't you just get rid of one???
You ASS!!! Out with the bad, in with the good! Picked up where I left off with this new girl. Went on a blind date 13 years ago, and have been off and on ever since. Crystal had a small problem with monogamy. Kitta doesn't. Thanks for airing my laundry on a public forum! I miss Vegas!

Ugly 1985 4Runner
Old 05-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #30
kbe151

Sorry to bring back an old thread but thanks for the idea's fellas. I picked up some 1/4 plywood, and started tracing out my new panels for my 86.

Netwt12, how did the Ammo can console turn out?
kbe151 is offline   Reply With Quote