TTORA Forum banner

I Don't Understand

7K views 77 replies 34 participants last post by  GatorTaco 
#1 ·
I bought an 09 reg cab 4x4 a couple months ago. I got it primarily as a daily driver. I have had offroad vehicles before. Each one had a straight axle up front with many times more articulation and flex than these IFS toyotas have. Several of these vehicles i built. When I install a lift kit to a straight front axle vehicle it actually benefits the off road capability of the vehicle. I just dont understand the point in lifting these new trucks. And, these big ass front bumpers that look like a cancer growing on the front of the truck. I mean really? What is the point of all this mall crawler stuff you guys put on your truck. A good rear locker and a more all terrain tire is about all you can do to these trucks until you go SAS. I mean why even go from a 245 tire to a 285 tire? Do you really think an average of an inch and a half increase in diameter is going to help you that much.

#66 ·
Nope....hate water... really deep snow and super dusty trails will warrant a snorkel. I drive the Tacoma through 2-3' deep snow in the winter finding my quiver in the back country and I have one too many times had to pull my air intake and clean out all the snow and ice from the tubes and filter.

There was so much snow at one point I had no air coming in through the heater fan and lost a huge amount of power where even 1st gear I could barely pull.

The Tacoma doesn't need the snorkel.... I do!

#3 ·
i c ur point, but....

i guess i see your point but why did you buy something you're not happy with?

#6 ·
So your telling me that lifting my truck and adding bigger tires for more ground clearance isnt really helping offroad? Whats the logic behind this? You said yourself lifting helps offroad capability,thats not the case with my truck? Snorkels have more purpose than water crossings only. If you are traveling on dusty roads you can get cleaner air and of course the solid axle will flex better..Whos trying to argue that?

#10 ·
Yup

x2 and I just wanted to add that it is for the same reason wannabe cowboys wear cowboy hats. They probly think its cool and that is what they like to do....

I like IFS because it rides smoother and handles better onroad imo but still allows me to do what I need offroad. I was raised with the understanding that straight axles were more for strength anyways. We dont all need some 1 ton hauler. :2cents:

#7 ·
I bought an 09 reg cab 4x4 a couple months ago. I got it primarily as a daily driver. I have had offroad vehicles before. Each one had a straight axle up front with many times more articulation and flex than these IFS toyotas have. Several of these vehicles i built. When I install a lift kit to a straight front axle vehicle it actually benefits the off road capability of the vehicle. I just dont understand the point in lifting these new trucks. And, these big ass front bumpers that look like a cancer growing on the front of the truck. I mean really? What is the point of all this mall crawler stuff you guys put on your truck. A good rear locker and a more all terrain tire is about all you can do to these trucks until you go SAS. I mean why even go from a 245 tire to a 285 tire? Do you really think an average of an inch and a half increase in diameter is going to help you that much.

You ASSume this why ???

Please, take some time to look around here Newb.

You might be suprised what these GUYS and their trucks can do.

#8 ·
Thats exactly what I'm saying. Unless you lift in such a way to increase front flex and are able to fit atleast a 35 inch tire when your done, you have'nt benefited a damn thing. I am not saying that these trucks are not capable. Just the opposite. These are very capable trucks stock. They are just not anymore capable after they are lifted most of the time.

#17 ·
I think after rereading your posts, your daddy sold your Jeep and bought you a Toyota, now your mad because all the kids at school don't think its as cool as your "big badass jeep on 35s"

:rolleyes:

#9 ·
So my coilovers in the front and 33's do nothing? That makes no sense. My ugly cancer bumper,33's and coilovers are way better than stock,idc how you look at it. 35's would be better but I know I have benefited from lifting it and 33's.

#11 ·
Dude, my truck came with almost a 31 inch tire from the dealership. I garuntee that if we had the same tread tire with the same axle set up (both locked or both unlocked), I could take my truck anywhere you can. Even with my smaller tires. Plus, I'll be getting the 24 mpgs. Don't get me wrong, I know that you could make your truck out perform mine with enough and the right kind of lift, but most I've seen in the "show me your truck thread" will not.

#12 ·
Dude, my truck came with almost a 31 inch tire from the dealer ship. I garuntee that if we had the same tread tire with the same axle set up (both locked or both unlocked), I could take my truck anywhere you can. Even with my smaller tires. Plus, I'll be getting the 24 mpgs. Don't get me wrong, I know that you could make your truck out perform mine with enough and the right kind of lift, but most I've seen in the "show me your truck thread" will not.
Please drink bleach and go die. I think Jeepforum will be more appropriate for you. The PBB crowd knows better, and is more understanding of these trucks and their capability.

24MPG and off road capability? Name one rig that can do it and do it reliably (other than a 70 series cruiser offered in foreign countries)

#15 ·
If my 33's wouldnt do any better than your 31's then why do you say the 35's would be so much better than my 33's? Both 2 inch difference and I didnt get a truck to get good gas mileage so I could care less.

#18 ·
I'll take a Winnycan and a french cry if you are buying. ;)

#22 ·
You guys realize that none of you have really presented any kind of argument to my logic yet. Is'nt it upsetting? LMAO. I could go call the Wambulance for you if you need me to.

What logic ????? Your a bitter little TROLL looking for a stupid argument ??

You have a Stock truck that would get high centered or stuck on most mall curbs ?

You "built" several solid axle vehicles?????? but yet....here You are.

Let me get the short bus for you, so you can go back to licking the windows.

#25 ·
With each step you take your truck will be a little more capable offroad. There is no arguing that at all. Your stock truck is very capable offroad. My lifted 4runner with 33's is more capable and the next rig with a couple more inches on me and 35's is even more capable. I dont see how you could try to disagree. You need to look around the site at all these bad ass trucks and maybe hang out in the newb section for a little while longer. I give it a couple months and you will be posting pics of your newly lifted tacoma on 33's.

#27 ·
^First, why should I try to prove anything to you? I couldn't care less of your opinion. What's more, you started a completely pointless thread. That being said, lifting any truck, IFS or straight axle is all about fitting larger tires, which increase ground clearance. Articulation is beside this point. Having coilovers is a large improvement over stock, the springs are stiffer and the shocks are built to dissipate more heat. They do not fade like the crap they put on stock.

#33 ·
wow, i just saw this thread.

a) please dont lump all of us together. Its bad enough that i have to deal with scores of PhD and MS-toting scientists that "lump". This is a club will all types of members in such a matter that can be described by a normal distribution curve.

b) "im sorry, did i pass out from the pain in my penis and this isnt America anymore"!? F@#k, if 35% of this club want to be mall crawlers...then fine. Its called freedom and i dedicated 6 years of my life to keep that little tradition alive and when i want to really "wheel" i will do so with the other 65%.

c) does it really bother you that people have opinions about what they do with their truck? It doesnt bother me cause so far....those people havent bothered me.

d) i respect your initial arguement. do i think its waste of a vehicle?...yes. But as long as it makes them happy, they make a contribution to the knowledge around here once in awhile and they dont try to contaminate the other half, then i say let them be.

#35 ·
Skeptic has a bad case of Little Dick Syndrome and Penis Envy:confused:

#36 ·
Troll.

But he does make a valid point.

Spending a fairly large amount of money to lift the truck three inches gets you what?

The ability to drive over three more inches of terrain?

While that sounds silly at first glance, there's more to the picture than meets the eye.

My truck is bone stock, and not modified in any way.

Most of the trucks I see when I go on a club run (I've done lots of 'em) are lifted a couple inches and have armor and big tires.

So what happens is I wheel right along with them, until we get to that log or rock that's one inch too tall for me.

Then I stop and they keep going.

For that, those guys feel like they got their money's worth.

The fact that I can out run them on the street, have a more comfortable ride, and I get better gas mileage doesn't matter to them.

See, the thing that makes it OK for me to believe my truck is setup exactly the way I like it is the exact same thing that allows them to feel the same way about theirs.

Welcome to America. I love this country.

#37 ·
Wheel my Taco on pussy stuff,keep it easily streetable on 285s, armored up, then shmammer the 4runner on the big rocks.

My philosophy.

#39 ·
A good rear locker and a more all terrain tire is about all you can do to these trucks until you go SAS.
Dude you're TOTALLY right....:rolleyes:

Bolt on front long travel and a simple longer leaf and longer shock in the rear....

Give me a break with that SAS crap.... Some people like to go over 4mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.