Treadwright (formerly Hi-Tech Retreading) retread tire review - Page 3 - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > General Tech > Tires/Wheels
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #61
ike
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1999 tacoma

Aged tires are an issue, but not as big of one as the stories posted make it out to be. Does it happen yea, but not very often. Tire pressure and mounting will play a bigger role than age in their saftey IMO

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #62
yota fan!
Veteran Member

brad there are serious flaws in your argument. I cant watch those links that you sent but I searched youtube and found a few clips of 20/20 about tire aging, but here is the biggest flaw. those treads were bound to the tire "x" amount of years ago and tread seperation occurs because age. not because the carcas was old and tread was recently bonded in a DOT approved manner. The fact that you say these tires are not made to be retreaded is funny because the DOT has no problem with it after their research and testing. Sure there are some retreads that are not quality, but there are also plenty of new tires that are total shit as stated by the individual with blowouts on michelin and bfg. we wont even touch firestone . Thats 3 tire manufactures with failed tires and you cant find one treadwright tire that has failed. Linking to biased news outlets is not fact either, bad news is good money for them so they are a little motivated to bring the gloom and doom. Also if you listen they always say "some experts agree" I could find some experts who agree that treadwrights are safer then new tires. Does that mean they are correct? NO! They are not correct until you can with statistics undeniably prove the point. All I have seen you do is go off word of mouth, you have not had a single first hand experience of a retread failing. If we're gonna go off what people say online, well hell why isnt my dads cummins getting 30mpg, everyone online does. You have chosen to ignore my statements and argue with others. Just admit it, you do not know they are worse tires like you claim. Its only a baseless oppinion you have....the toilet bowl is calling brad
Shell, it helps to cover stuff.
2.5" DR coil spacer up front and a home brew 5 leaf in the rear.
yota fan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #63
yota fan!
Veteran Member

how many states did they have to go to in order to find old tires? my point exactly
Old 04-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #64
DoorPrize

^^^yota_fan!: go check you local store, or even the tires you have on your truck right now. Unless they recently sold out of them, or they ordered them when you asked they are going to be years older than you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBradHaz View Post
You obviosly can't read. Your answers have already been stated. If you don't want to accept fact so be it. Your analogy is pathetic. Glass does not break down in UV light. Rubber does. That is part of the problem. Since you can't comprehend reading, maybe you can watch a video to understand what is going on. Here is one aging of tires or this one that requires less thinking another old tire viedo

You need more proof?
Not one second in either of these videos demonstrate that retreads are dangerous. Face it, they state that the deterioration is from tires sitting around for years after being assembled. They never talk about the treatment process that the rubber undergoes for retreading, nor do they mention retreads at all. Basically the bias news reports that the age of a tire is directly related to the likelihood of tread separation for tires that have never been used.
Also, note that there were statements to the contrary in the video, but very similarly to the news reporting in the war they report this as disregard for the public to gain ignorant minds like yours as followers.
Until I see ACTUAL proof that RETREADS(not old tires sold as new) are dangerous due to tread separation issues I have to believe that they are just as safe.

I'll note that the picture markzeronine posted is NOT of a tire with less than 500 miles on it... if your tire wears down to that point(rounded edges, lack of tread-bridges, etc) you should get a refund, thats BS.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #65
CAP650

I experience a blow out on a factory tire years ago in my fathers Volvo. The tires were Bridgestones, and had a fair amount of miles on them, but by no means worn out. The tire blew out on the freeway. I don't know if the tire was inflated properly ect. but it blew out.

Maybe I should consider never buying a Bridgestone tire again and stay away from all vehicles I see on the road with them.
Slee Off-Road Rock Sliders
Warn M8000 w/ Viking Trail Line
Toytec Adjustable Coil Overs-2.75" w/ OME Dakar leafs
Bilstein 5100's F/R
AllPro U-bolt Flip
Crown S/S extended brake lines
Cooper S/T 255/85 16's
Softopper
USA*SPEC Ipod Interface

Last edited by CAP650; 04-30-2010 at 09:28 AM.
CAP650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #66
yota fan!
Veteran Member

Well duh a lot of tires are old but they talk about these people getting in accidents with 17 year old tires and then search stores(I like how they don't tell you how many stores they went to) and act like it's the end of the world that they find tires that are 6 years old and like every tire you can buy is 6 years old. big whoop, Ahhhhhh the worlds going to end!! Haha
Old 04-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #67
rigwelderstaco

You all are looking at this the wrong way.

Im happy BadBird is a dumbass. Just means one more set of TreadWRights that will be available for me!!!

IVe had mine on for many miles, on my daily driver no less, and have had zero problems. Could they fail?? Sure, what cant?? Brad is overlooking the big fact that theyrs a huge difference between reTREADS and reCAPS. Most of those blown truck tires are a)reCAPS or b) the wrong pressure and bad load balance. Ive had it happen myself driving rigs. Didnt check my tire pressures, loaded heavy on one side, tires overheated and POW!!!, there she goes. Ive had 2 blowouts on my own cars...BFG and Goodyear. MY Dad had a Goodyear blow out on him, friend of ours had a Dunlop blow out on him. The Dunlop let loose right after getting on the freeway.........10 miles from the shop he had them put on at!!!

Dumbshit up there, just needs to quit talkin shit about tires he has ZERO experience with.

2004 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner, 265/75x16 BFG MT's, homebuilt bumpers front and rear, winch, lights, CB, 2m, 70cm, GPS, oba, 4x4 conversion, a whole bunch of other probably useless, but nice to have, things in the bed.
rigwelderstaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #68
ljschnel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzeronine View Post
(back when they had their previous name... i noticed they just changed the names of all the tires AGAIN.. which means they're getting sued, or trying to hide some less than exceptional reviews)

Reguardless, they seem like a cheap decent trail tire. I personally wouldn't trust my life with them, but for the most part they get pretty good reviews for what they are
"My son was driving his friends out of town and a center patch of tread came off the casing at 60mph.

Drove 40 miles home like this. He said it was bumpy but it held air. This tire had under 500 miles.

We bought a new set of BFG's the next day."

Great story... Look at the tire and tell me it has 500 miles on it. Looks more like 35,000! I'm calling bullshit.
The guy may have bought them used and had few of his own miles on it, but that tire with the missing tread was OLD!

'04 2.7L Regular Cab 5-speed ~
^^SOLD^^

'99 2.7L X-cab 5-speed ~
SAW 2.0's | OME Dakar Leafs | 12" Bilstein 7100's | 31" Cooper STT's
^^CRUSHED^^

'07 Honda CRF450R

ljschnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #69
troyboy162

just an FYI but they are making the 315/75/16 soon in the mtr clone tread. looking for 140ish for those says there facebook page. those should sell very well and im pretty bumbed i just bought a set of KM2's. i would have waited for treadwrights had i known
Old 05-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #70
basemodel4x427

My Rig: 2005 toyota tacoma
Default nylon?

did someone try to say that our tires have NYLON belts?!?! last time my dumb ass got a set of new shoes i burned the old ones to the cords!!! even got a few sparks from the STEEL belts!!! before they kerploded and fucked my rim (last time i burn em to the cords)

also, i have had a major manufacturer's V rated tire with about 50% wear kerplode on the highway well under it's speed rating, sorry my memory fails me on the brand seeing as it was 10 years ago and i no longer have that vehicle, but V rated tires aren't supposed to blow at 120...

btw blow outs aren't as bad as some here are making them out to be, mine was at 120, going around a bend, on the outside rear tire. scary as hell, yes, but if you know how to recover your vehicle you should be fine, hell i've had buggy blow outs on a skinny trail at speed, safety is also in the drivers hands, not just the equipment.

x10 on the recap vs regroove vs retread
x10 on the semi's recaps, it's usually the drivers fault for not checking tire press. or improper loading of the rig, almost all of them are from overheating.

i currently own a set of treadwrights but have yet to mount them. i assure you they will be abused, and i'll be happy to give my opinion.

x10 a grand is a bit tough to part with when it's a wear part...
elec transfer (hate that thing)

king C/O and icon 3in lift w/ LR UCA's

DONT BUY TOYTEC!!!!!!
basemodel4x427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #71
Mauzer

This thread has been a blast to read! Its crazy how butt hurt people get about the simplest things. I may or may not go with TW's, but I definitely won't yell at someone for having them. haha I'm still laughing at this thread...TO THE TOP!
Mauzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #72
yotarover

i wanted their 33's for a while and then they discontined them so i looked at the 31's all on back order. talked to some serious wheeling ppl around here they told me no. so instead i found some 33x12.5x15's yesterday used but they will have teeth
yotarover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #73
CAP650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauzer View Post
This thread has been a blast to read! Its crazy how butt hurt people get about the simplest things. I may or may not go with TW's, but I definitely won't yell at someone for having them. haha I'm still laughing at this thread...TO THE TOP!
X2!

This is great entertainment.
Bilstein 5100's F/R
AllPro U-bolt Flip
Cooper S/T 255/85 16's
Softopper
USA*SPEC Ipod Interface
Old 07-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #74
sasaholic
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basemodel4x427 View Post

also, i have had a major manufacturer's V rated tire with about 50% wear kerplode on the highway well under it's speed rating, sorry my memory fails me on the brand seeing as it was 10 years ago and i no longer have that vehicle, but V rated tires aren't supposed to blow at 120...

and your not supposed to be doing 120 on the highway fuckstick so quite being suck a douche
Old 07-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #75
CAP650

and your not supposed to be doing 120 on the highway fuckstick so quite being suck a douche

Lol. Starting my morning off with a good laugh
Bilstein 5100's F/R
AllPro U-bolt Flip
Cooper S/T 255/85 16's
Softopper
USA*SPEC Ipod Interface
Old 07-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #76
yotarover

if they brought back the 33 i'd buy 2 sets guess im going to have to move up for a 16" rim since i see alot of used mud tires at shops all for 16 and hardly nothing for a 15
yotarover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #77
sasaholic
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotarover View Post
if they brought back the 33 i'd buy 2 sets guess im going to have to move up for a 16" rim since i see alot of used mud tires at shops all for 16 and hardly nothing for a 15
thats cause newer trucks cant run 15's any more. give it a few years all youll be able to find is 17 and bigger
Old 07-18-2010, 06:56 AM   #78
BadBradHaz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basemodel4x427 View Post
did someone try to say that our tires have NYLON belts?!?! last time my dumb ass got a set of new shoes i burned the old ones to the cords!!! even got a few sparks from the STEEL belts!!! before they kerploded and fucked my rim (last time i burn em to the cords)

btw blow outs aren't as bad as some here are making them out to be, mine was at 120, going around a bend, on the outside rear tire. scary as hell, yes, but if you know how to recover your vehicle you should be fine, hell i've had buggy blow outs on a skinny trail at speed, safety is also in the drivers hands, not just the equipment.

x10 on the recap vs regroove vs retread
x10 on the semi's recaps, it's usually the drivers fault for not checking tire press. or improper loading of the rig, almost all of them are from overheating.

i currently own a set of treadwrights but have yet to mount them. i assure you they will be abused, and i'll be happy to give my opinion.

x10 a grand is a bit tough to part with when it's a wear part...
I just noticed this post and had to laugh. I know it is old, but the stupidity of the poster made me laugh. He obvioulsy knows nothing about tire and the product he purchased. Yes passenger tires have nylon, rayon, or polyester belts. The are what makes a radial tire. They run in a radial position. There is also steel belting. They do not run radial. In the retreading process the tread and steel belts are removed and replaced. The radial fiber belting remains. The stretchy radial fiber is what give the comfortable ride. In truck tires which are designed to be retreaded the radial cords are steel. This is the difference between passenger car and truck tires.
BadBradHaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:43 AM   #79
nierema
Veteran Member

Does anyone know if there is any kinda aggressive 35x12x15 for cheap only plan to use offroad only thinking like. Under 100 a tire
nierema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #80
clabz

well i have had a few friends of mine run recaps for years and run the snot out of them and even wreck with them on and no more frequently then normal new tires have i seen them fail. as for being cheap, some of us cant afford shit and are happy to have a set of tires that hold air, unfortunatly i do not, but hopefully that will be fixed soon. i have never seen locally a retread that caught my eye but i would definatly consider it, seeing as how im a broke ass college student lol. thanks for the link
clabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:38 AM   #81
gearbox
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clabz View Post
as for being cheap, some of us cant afford shit and are happy to have a set of tires that hold air, unfortunatly i do not, but hopefully that will be fixed soon.
WTF?

gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #82
freeze
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBradHaz View Post
It is not a question of being narrow minded.
This is an interesting response coming from a person with avatar with the Sons of Confederate Veteran's logo...

------
It's pretty easy to comment on something with your own opinion when looking over the fence. If you're actually walking in that person's shoes then you're able to provide a proper opinion which carries weight.

I've read quite a few on here that have used the product under all kinds of conditions. I've read quite a few on here that haven't even seen the tires let alone used them make fascinating arguments on why not to use them.

For those who've never looked at them and are making incredible statements against them..... maybe research and try them out before hacking on them so you're able to provide a response that will truly help people.
2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad
All-Pro Bumper-skids-Sliders-Long Travel-3" Leafs/Fox 2.5 F&R/T-Max 10000/LF 240/MTZ

1981 Toyota Truck Sr5
Marlin 4"-crossover-4.7-TrannyHD-front&rear tube bumper/Warn 9000/5.29HP ARB f/5.29 ARB r/Champion Beads/MTR
freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:51 AM   #83
troyboy162

there web site says the 315/75/16 is delayed till september but the 37" 16.5 is still due out this month. those are gonna be some sick tires to beat on.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #84
xuare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljschnel View Post
"My son was driving his friends out of town and a center patch of tread came off the casing at 60mph.

Drove 40 miles home like this. He said it was bumpy but it held air. This tire had under 500 miles.

We bought a new set of BFG's the next day."

Great story... Look at the tire and tell me it has 500 miles on it. Looks more like 35,000! I'm calling bullshit.
The guy may have bought them used and had few of his own miles on it, but that tire with the missing tread was OLD!
Note necessarily true. If it's a rear, his (16 or 18 was it?) year-old son may have done some burn-outs with his friend after he scored the keys. If you did that when you were that age, would you have taken the blame, or blamed a retread if you knew that's what it was?

xuare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:09 AM   #85
dlysle

i ran a set of these a few years ago (when they were still Hi-tech retreading). i had them on my Samurai for a couple years and then moved them onto my Cherokee when i got rid of the Samurai.

neither was my DD, but i did drive them to and from the trails including flat towing the Sammy to the Badlands in Indiana from PA, wheeling all weekend at Zookimelt, and towing home again. they were awsome offroad and not bad on the street.

i had zero problems and will probobly be getting another set for my 88 p/up when i need new tires.
dlysle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #86
Mountie Bob

Just a quick update for those interested:

I have completed several highway trips during the summer with the retreads. 6 hour roundtrips, average speed just shy of 80 mph(125km/h). Tires handled beautifully, no wandering, ride was good.

They are noisy but I was forwarned by Treadwirght when I bought them that they would be, that's why they are named the "Howler".

Out of curiosity I packed a long a meter with a temp probe. After arriving at my destination I temped the tires readings were as follows:

DF - 79.5F
PF - 79.7F
DR - 79.8F
PR - 79.7F

Tire pressure has been holding constant, no shimies or shakes.

I am still verry impressed with their performance to date, looking forward to running these in the winter.
Mountie Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #87
superman

crazy..............

my buddy has been running these for a couple months he just lost a lug the first and last trip he went wheeling. he said they did good while he showed me all the new body damage he got.. not that the tires had anything to do with the body damage i kept hearing something about Devils Highway or Devils Road something like that.

He pretty much had no other options but to buy these for the fact that he was super broke and the tires on his new to him 85 yota were super scary bald.

anyways he's been around the block a few times with cars and trucks thats for sure. and he likes the tires
(FOR WHAT THEY ARE!!!!!)

my buddy showed me this article
i don't know this mag or their knowledge....

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...est/index.html

someone may have already posted that but i couldnt bring my self to read this whole thread after the first page or two.
superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #88
LIVES4CRAWLIN

I know digging up an old thread but my god. Let's see personal experience with retreads (none) personal experience with new tires every time... Tread separation on new tires I have had happen 3 different times on3 different brands, friends have had several cases so hmm guess it happens eh
LIVES4CRAWLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #89
snoope

My Rig: Tacoma

www.timetogetlost.com

actual miles on treadwrights 1/2 a world away......if only his transmission was a good as the tires ....

I would think this would be a great testament either way for retreads....

Old man back quiet......
Old 12-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #90
LIVES4CRAWLIN

Cousin order six 31" equivalent size guard dogs I think for his dodge dually, the said they were back ordered, then week later said they had cases and then had them shipped 8 days ahead of schedule (during the holiday rush none the less) he received them, and loves them, I ordered 4, 285/75r16 guard dogs on Goodyear wrangler mtr cases, said they were a week out (I'm in no hurry still saving coin for my reheat) anyways 582 bucks shipped to my door, def can't complain when compared to 1200 bucks easy on a set of bfg km2s

85 4runner, 5.29s, 14in bob, locked, and (SOLD)

92 std cab: Sas'd elocked dual cased and a 3 slow . 37x12.50 pitbull rockers , dirty 30s and elocked

2014 tundra crewmax . Nothing done to it probably will do something to it
LIVES4CRAWLIN is offline   Reply With Quote