TTORA Forum banner

Bent Coilover?

15K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  hossmaster 
#1 ·
Hey dudes
Is it possible to bend a coilover? I've got a set of Fabtech ones that I recently had rebuilt. After the reinstall I drove a few hundred hwy miles when all of a sudden, the driver side one began creaking really bad on any little bump.
You can really hear it just going up a driveway or even climbing into the truck.

So, is it maybe just bound up, like the spring isn't sitting right, or could I have somehow bent it? It's getting annoying and I had thought it was the upper ball joint, so I replaced those but didn't solve the issue.

I want to have the shop who rebuilt them take a look at it but it's way down in San Diego...

#2 ·
Not sure about bending a coil-over? Would basically mean you bent the shock shaft? If that were the case I would also think it would be leaking. If the springs are not seated right you would probably be able to tell by looking at it.

If it has hemi's instead of rubber bushings I would bet its one of those. The uni ball in my UCA's will make a lot of creaking and groaning noise when it gets dry, then I put some teflon on it and everythings quiet again.

#3 ·
Definitely check the lower ball joints then. If they are good it could be any of the a arm bushings or shock bushings. Check those lower ball joints though because if one fails then off goes the wheel and then it takes the upper ball joint, cv shaft and can take out the brake line 2, not to mention the body damage to a fender...

#4 ·
You can bend a coilover shock but it takes some serious side loading. If it's bent a little it won't leak. They can bend a lot and still not leak much or any at all. Pull it off, remove the spring and check the shaft with a straight edge.

I doubt it's bent, but the new sound and just having them rebuilt is an odd coincidence. Could be something else from re-assembly not exactly right. Take the spring off the shock and actuate it by hand (crotch dyno). See if it makes noise or feels funny. Make sure it's charged.

Actuate your suspension with the coilover off too. See if there's any play in anything or any noise from there.

#5 ·
Alright thanks guys...
No, it's not leaking and I really didn't load it weird since it was rebuilt, only hwy driving.
So I guess I'll hit up the shop that rebuilt it once I check the LBJ and other bushings...

#6 ·
like this?

oh yea...they can bend :p

your issue sounds like a bushing, heim or something else entirely...probably not a bent shaft.

#7 ·
Have someone repeatedly push down on the front bumper while you listen for an exact location as to where the sound is coming from. Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).

#8 ·
#9 ·
I've heard of them creaking when they don't have any nitrogen in them. Something else to look at.

#12 ·
The lower heim on my coilover was puking out the Teflon causing it to squeak like crazy. Spraying some lube on it would quiet it down and help pinpoint the noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.