3.4 blown head gasket - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > General Tech > Performance/Engine/Exhaust
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
KMillan
Web Wheeler

Default 3.4 blown head gasket

Long story short, my engine drank a little too much water,thought I hydrolocked it, but turns out that its just a blown head gasket(I hope). Pulled the engine apart, dryed everything out, changed the oil twice, changed the plugs, tried to start it and it ran like absolute shit. Let it sit for a couple of days then started it again and it idled perfectly, ran like nothing had ever happened, but then started dumping whitish smoke, which smelled sweet like antifreeze.

I'm hoping to tear into it this weekend, but have never done anything this extensive to my engine. I printed out the FSM removing the cylinder head, and have the haynes manual, but I'm looking for some input or advice from anyone who has done this before...or anyone that wants to lend a hand near the Sacramento area

NorCal Chapter, Check it out

Last edited by KMillan; 02-16-2012 at 06:10 PM.
KMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
KMillan
Web Wheeler

Bump....the head gasket kit from Toyota should be in tomorrow

Old 02-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
minerdude1
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to minerdude1

Just a heads up on the Toyota head gaskets, make sure you get the metal MLS gaskets from them. I think the old graphite composite ones have been superseded to the metal ones, but if not, make sure you get the metal ones. It is not that bad of a job. I rebuilt mine from the ground up with new Toyota bearings, pistons, rings, gaskets and oil pump. Make sure you follow the FSM, it has great step by step info if you have never done it before. I can get a HG job done in about a day, not accounting for the heads to be milled.

That's another thing, make sure you have your aluminum heads resurfaced at a machine shop. I have paid anywhere from $25-40 per head in the past. Usually they are the culprit of a blown head gasket, and replacing the gasket without milling the heads is a waste of time. Also make sure you have, or have access to a good torque wrench. Another good thing to look into is replacing your t-belt and water pump at the same time, as you will have to remove the belt to do this job, and you will have nice access to the water pump also.
-35" BFG KM2 tires
-custom rear plate bumper
minerdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
noahrexion

Send a message via AIM to noahrexion

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerdude1 View Post
Just a heads up on the Toyota head gaskets, make sure you get the metal MLS gaskets from them. I think the old graphite composite ones have been superseded to the metal ones, but if not, make sure you get the metal ones. It is not that bad of a job. I rebuilt mine from the ground up with new Toyota bearings, pistons, rings, gaskets and oil pump. Make sure you follow the FSM, it has great step by step info if you have never done it before. I can get a HG job done in about a day, not accounting for the heads to be milled.

That's another thing, make sure you have your aluminum heads resurfaced at a machine shop. I have paid anywhere from $25-40 per head in the past. Usually they are the culprit of a blown head gasket, and replacing the gasket without milling the heads is a waste of time. Also make sure you have, or have access to a good torque wrench. Another good thing to look into is replacing your t-belt and water pump at the same time, as you will have to remove the belt to do this job, and you will have nice access to the water pump also.

This is very good advice. Not sure how many miles you've on your rig BUT since you are set on replacing the parts - you might as well get into it good:

You can't buy an entire "set" from Toyota but other items to consider (that weren't mentioned):

* when the heads are off, get into checking the valve clearance. If specs are close I'd leave it, if they aren't as close as you're comfortable with, get your shims ordered so you will have them in time to get it assembled again.
* definitely replace the "rest" of the Tbelt/water pump components such as: tensioner, idlers, cam seals, crank seal...etc
* I'd also do the intake manifold and plenum gaskets
* fuel injector seals and o-rings,
* valve cover gasket setup (plug wells and end plugs)
* buy yourself a tube of toyota FIPG
* buy yourself a real manual so you can turn pages...etc
* fab up, rent, borrow or buy a crank holder tool
* consider pulling the whole motor and checking out/replacing your clutch and being able to work on everything while it is "out" of the engine bay, it makes things VERY easy
* get new head bolts
Old 02-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
rworegon

A thread for reference:
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...&topic=2241.30

Last edited by rworegon; 02-17-2012 at 08:42 PM.
rworegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
minerdude1
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to minerdude1

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahrexion View Post
This is very good advice. Not sure how many miles you've on your rig BUT since you are set on replacing the parts - you might as well get into it good:

You can't buy an entire "set" from Toyota but other items to consider (that weren't mentioned):

* when the heads are off, get into checking the valve clearance. If specs are close I'd leave it, if they aren't as close as you're comfortable with, get your shims ordered so you will have them in time to get it assembled again.
* definitely replace the "rest" of the Tbelt/water pump components such as: tensioner, idlers, cam seals, crank seal...etc
* I'd also do the intake manifold and plenum gaskets
* fuel injector seals and o-rings,
* valve cover gasket setup (plug wells and end plugs)
* buy yourself a tube of toyota FIPG
* buy yourself a real manual so you can turn pages...etc
* fab up, rent, borrow or buy a crank holder tool
* consider pulling the whole motor and checking out/replacing your clutch and being able to work on everything while it is "out" of the engine bay, it makes things VERY easy
* get new head bolts
Yeah I should have mentioned about the valve clearances since I didn't do that on my motor, and it taps a little louder than stock. Also good advice about the lower intake manifold gaskets, replace those at a minimum. Check the condition of the metal upper ones, usually they are still in good shape. Injector o-rings are a good idea to replace. You are already in there, and they are cheap. I was just mentioning basics in my above post, basically any gasket/o-ring you deal with, it would be a good idea to replace it. Also I just assumed the idler and tension pulleys to come in the t-belt kit from Toyota.

Take not on all this stuff, and don't let it discourage you from doing it yourself. If you are mechanically inclined at all you should have no problem doing this, it just might take a little longer. Double, Triple, and Quadruple check your timing marks after getting the t-belt on since this will be your first time.
-35" BFG KM2 tires
-custom rear plate bumper
minerdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
KMillan
Web Wheeler

Thanks for all the info everyone. The kit came in from Toyota today, it should have every gasket/seal from the head up. Its got the fuel injector seals, the valve cover gaskets, and all that good stuff.

Looking at all that makes me feel a little intimidated, but I think we'll be able to get it done no problem. I was hoping to have it done on Sunday, but I'm going to have to wait 'till monday to have the heads resurfaced. I asked a guy at the Toyota parts counter what shop they use, and they referred me to Del's Machine Shop here in Sacramento, so at least I know I can trust the shop.

Here's what my oil looked like after draining it twice, flushing a couple quarts through to try and get rid of any more water, and letting it idle for about 30 seconds...

I think it might have a little bit of coolant in it

My engine just hit 130k, and I did the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, cam and crankshaft seals, and the tensioner all at 105k so I'm not going to mess with any of that. I'll have to check the valve clearances when I'm in there just to make sure.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
rworegon

Pick up a Knock Sensor Harness from the dealer $20 or so...it gets trashed from the heat in the valley under the lower manifold. Also, the water by-pass tube can sometimes have tiny holes in it....give it a close inspection.

Label hoses and matching fitting with a unique letter and put small parts and associated hardware in sequentially numbered zip lock bags....reverse sequence of bags on reassembly and match letter to letter on tubes.

Make sure you get the service bolt installed in each exhaust cam before you remove them from the head.
Page EM-33:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/...ylhea/remo.pdf

I went through a HG/top end rebuild on mine a year ago due to two slight external HG coolant leaks.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #9
KMillan
Web Wheeler

Made a little progress tonight...

Going to try and tackle the timing belt and cams tomorrow

Old 02-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
rworegon

That water by-pass between the heads is known to get pin holes in the pipe and leak at the flange where it mounts with 2 screws.

To reseal it, EM-103,
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...ylblo/reas.pdf

Camshafts look nice and clean.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #11
KMillan
Web Wheeler

Well got the heads off tonight...finally...

That damn crankshaft pulley was holding us up for a while, kept bending the bolts on our pulley tool until I found some grade 8 bolts to use instead.

Going to take the heads into the shop tomorrow to have them checked out and machined, then just have to wait to get new head bolts from Toyota and it will all start to go back together....and hopefully run

Old 02-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
NorcalPR
NorCal Chapter Pres

My Rig: SAS'd 01 Tacoma
Send a message via AIM to NorcalPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworegon View Post
That water by-pass between the heads is known to get pin holes in the pipe and leak at the flange where it mounts with 2 screws.

To reseal it, EM-103,
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...ylblo/reas.pdf

Camshafts look nice and clean.
I had mine leak where it bolts with one bolt at the water pump.

If you need any of the special FIPG for that connection, let me know. I still have the whole tube left

Do you live in NorCal? Have you checked out the NorCal Section located here? If not check in today!
NorcalPR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
KMillan
Web Wheeler

Well forgot to update this thread.

Got everything put back together with all the new parts last Thursday night at about 3 in the morning. We started it up once no problems, then called it a night. Came back out the next morning and it fired up and it ran like new.

Been driving it all weekend with absolutely no problems at all, it drives like nothing ever happened! Except for the fact that my engine got a little quieter, so now it sounds like I drive a Prius.

Going to wait until about the 500 mile mark to change my oil again, and just keep my fingers crossed until then. Hopefully I'll have no coolant loss or any other problems until then either.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
NorcalPR
NorCal Chapter Pres

My Rig: SAS'd 01 Tacoma
Send a message via AIM to NorcalPR

Awesome! Ready for the trails this year!

Do you live in NorCal? Have you checked out the NorCal Section located here? If not check in today!
NorcalPR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
rivethead242
Veteran Member

My Rig: 04 Tacoma

Hell ya! Glad you got it all put back together and she is purring like a kitten again. All in all how hard of a project would you say it was?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
01taco33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivethead242 View Post
Hell ya! Glad you got it all put back together and she is purring like a kitten again. All in all how hard of a project would you say it was?
I'll admit it was alot easier than I thought it would be, but thats prob cause there was four of us working on it haha
35's for the speed bumps at the mall
01taco33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
KMillan
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivethead242 View Post
Honestly it wasn't as hard as I expected it to be. With the help of a few other guys it went pretty back together pretty fast. We started reinstalling everything at about 6 P.M, and had it running by 2:30 in the morning, with quite a few stupid mistakes...Like forgetting to reinstall that black plastic lower timing cover until after we had the crankshaft pulley all back together and torqued down, or spending about an hour just to get the timing belt all lined up

After being that deep in the engine, I'm fairly confident with the majority of my truck now...other than the transfer case. I wouldn't hesitate to tear it down to the block again now that I know what I'm doing. If you follow the FSM, and label everything you take off, you shouldn't have a problem with anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorcalPR View Post
Awesome! Ready for the trails this year!
Hopefully some snow is coming!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
rworegon

Nice....nothing like getting it done!