Steering questions. - Page 2 - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Regional Forums > By State > Colorado > Wheels/Tires/Suspension
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #31
AxleIke
Veteran Member

You need sleeves in every bushing. That is the issue with stuff wearing out.

Generation Dead
AxleIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #32
ike
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1999 tacoma

Doug I have that issue of crawl if you don't.

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #33
Mythica
Veteran Member

My Rig: 98 BlackTaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwfastg60 View Post
That's from nov/dec crawl mag. It's the one with co4rj coverage and the cover truck is a cruiser called Cheap truck.

I can get sleeves but I'm going to be replacing the bolt and maybe remake the shakles. It's hard to find a tube with an I'd that fits m18 (708)bolt tightly. I will look around. Grab new bolts and stuff too. I don't think it's the answer
The bushing should come with sleeves. It may be impossible to find tube that has the exact inside and outside diameter you need.

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #34
vwfastg60
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to vwfastg60

It's a trail gear kit so it didnt. I need to measure them and look around for other options. I'm goingto look through the book here at work and see what I find
Old 02-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #35
Mythica
Veteran Member

I think i actually might have some sleeves sitting in a box of bushing that i have in my garage. I might even have bushing that fit.

Let me see if i can find it.

TG missing parts? lol say it isnt so...... What are the leafs from? I know its a TG kit, but i doubt they actually made it.

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

Old 02-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #36
mrdoug
Veteran Member

My Rig: 3.4 swapped 85 xcab

I don't think the sleeves are missing so much as they are not part of the kit. I didn't get them either (for either rear or front).

And this isn't new. Search trail-gear for spring bushing sleeve.

http://www.trail-gear.com/vbulletin/...ead.php?t=3845

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
mrdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #37
dwishart505

sleeves with help for sure. google up autofab. their main focus is bushing. i am going to run their product on my f-toy. a pair of bushing with sleeves will cost you around $40, the part number that we used is BA-175.

i have had my tre for 4 years and used to dd my truck on the regular. wondering what is going on with your set up. hopefully it is a minor fix.........
dwishart505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #38
dwishart505

also wondering about your tire wear. is your tie rod set up correctly so that you are slightly toed in? air pressure right for the weight of your rig?

just trying to trouble shoot....
Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #39
vwfastg60
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwishart505 View Post
sleeves with help for sure. google up autofab. their main focus is bushing. i am going to run their product on my f-toy. a pair of bushing with sleeves will cost you around $40, the part number that we used is BA-175.

i have had my tre for 4 years and used to dd my truck on the regular. wondering what is going on with your set up. hopefully it is a minor fix.........
Thanks, Im going to Look in to this. Im honestly scared to mess with bushings again. The sleeves may help but im wondering why only a few guys with TG kits have that issue. Do the shackles come loose and kill em? Is it how the frame tube was welded in? i have tried different Tq to lock em down and nothing seems to help. I will look in to those. Im kinda scared that the sleeve is not the answer. Do you know if those bushings work on the frame tubes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwishart505 View Post
also wondering about your tire wear. is your tie rod set up correctly so that you are slightly toed in? air pressure right for the weight of your rig?

just trying to trouble shoot....
I have had it aligned at a shop the last 3 times. I used to go by TG's instructions to set it with an 1/8 or 1/4'' of toe. I cant remember what they said now but i have it printed in the truck.

I always ran my tires a little over inflated but now im more in to ride quality. I have the fonts at 32 rears at 30 right now to keep it a little softer and give a decent MPG. It seemed to slow the tire wear down a bit.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #40
dwishart505

they make a bunch of different sizes 1.0,1.25,1.50,1.75, and 2.0". you would have to measure out what you have and see if they have your application. racereadyproducts.com carries a bunch of the autofab bushings. i called autofab when i made my purchase and they were really great with questions and customer service.

if you are not wanting to mess with your bushing right now then run them till they blow out again and then look into an upgrade with a sleeve at that time.

alignment is clearly not the problem.......

frame tubes could be a factor..... i know mine are far from perfect..... are you running the creeper joint in the rear?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #41
vwfastg60
Veteran Member

Right now it's all bushings. I want to conver the rear to creeper joints cause when I get crossed up good the leaf runs the back of the shackle and it's taken a good chunk out. After seeing them working I like the idea. I think it could improve on my suspension. My leafs always look like they are fanning out or sliding all over the place.

I want to move the rear hangers and the shackle mounts so I might as well make an upgrade.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #42
Mythica
Veteran Member

Any luck or progress on this yet man?

I found that box of bushing i was talking about, but they are all too small.

'98 Tacoma TRD

Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #43
vwfastg60
Veteran Member

None yet. I honestly haven't drivin her in like a month. I took it to drop my resume a few places today just cause it had been so long. Super sloppy steering and it feels 100 times worse after I have been driving the Lexus and the fj. Ok more so the fj cause my girl jacked the Lexus.

I think the plan as of now is this.

Bandaid the steering with the 2 tres I have now as spares. Weld the frame and wheel it one more time. This gti can be finished in a few days and I will put the truck back in. The rear axle sold and I can order my front axle. Going orbet eye bushings for all corners and either f150 or another set of 80 tres on the new axle with hydro assist and if they don't last go with heims oh yeah and plate the frame and build the front so it doesn't brake again. I will be changing bump stop stuff
Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #44
vwfastg60
Veteran Member

Ok I have called around and looked all over...Looks like the Creeper joint/ Ballistic style joint is a bad idea up front. It will cause deathwobble and unwanted body roll they said. So right now im hunting M18 sleeve so i can put it in the TG bushings i have and see if it helps. Im about to rip the axles out so id like to have a forsure this is the fix on it this round. My tow rig fell through so i just said screw it and im going to drive her to trails as i always do. I think if i brace the shackle i may wind up fixing a few issues too but i will look in to this a little more.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #45
ike
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1999 tacoma

I think sleves are going to help you greatly.

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #46
Quick Draw
Veteran Member

My Rig: DORIS

These have sleeves.

http://www.davezoffroadperformance.c...-shackles.html
Old 04-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #47
vwfastg60
Veteran Member

Thanks guys.

Kyle, that's what the guy at tg said to get. I loose my greasable shackle bolts using them. I'm going to see about gettin sleeve stuff and cut it down to make ones that work with my bolts