trxus mt's - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > General Tech > Tires/Wheels
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
steve604
Veteran Member

Default trxus mt's

i just put a new set of 285/75/16's on my truck and they are surprisingly awesome on the road. i had old style goodyear mt/r's on it and they were noisy as hell on the road. i fully expected these to be noisy and floaty on the highway but 90 mph is no problem with these

when i picked up these wheels, they came with a set of thornbirds that i figured i would try out because they were cheap enough

thornbirds are definitely the best looking tire out there.... that's about it. every bad review you see on the internet is absolutely true. thornbirds are no good on or off-road. they are a show truck tire only.

'04 Tacoma Ext. Cab SR5 TRD 4x4
allpro bilstein/eibach coilovers, uca's, 3" rear springs + 1 1/4" lift shackles, 1" daystar body lift, arb bumper, trd muffler, 1200lb marlin crawler clutch, trail gear rock sliders, m8000 with synthetic line... bent frame
steve604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Jomentum
Old sleepy guy

My Rig: 97 T100 Sas on 36's

The Trxus are Definately underrated...I had a set, worn them down to 3/32nds.....And SOLD them for $100.00

Great overall tire...Just overshadowed by "marketing" of BFG..(KM2's suck)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasaholic View Post
its spelled BITCH and thats exactly what u are
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYMINATOR View Post
my girlfriend works
Jomentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Tacoma Jake
Veteran Member

My Rig: '01 TACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
thornbirds are definitely the best looking tire out there....
Not even close...

I like the wheels tho.
97 ext cab (Totaled)
-Oregon TTORA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillBilly_Young01 View Post
yall 2 need to meet up and face fuck one another till one or the other dies
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasaholic View Post
ur a fuckin idiot so shut the fuck up.
Tacoma Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
ben90
Veteran Member

My Rig: Tacoma

Quote:
i just put a new set of 285/75/16's on my truck and they are surprisingly awesome on the road. i had old style goodyear mt/r's on it and they were noisy as hell on the road. i fully expected these to be noisy and floaty on the highway but 90 mph is no problem with these

thornbirds are definitely the best looking tire out there.... that's about it. every bad review you see on the internet is absolutely true. thornbirds are no good on or off-road. they are a show truck tire only.
The trxus MT is a good tire. I would have gotten a set of them if they were available on 33X10.50 Also, they will get noisy eventually But most MT tires do anyway.

In regards to the thornbirds being the "best looking tire out there"....that's a totally debatable!!! Personally, I think the LTBs are the most amazing "looking" mud tires in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomentum View Post
The Trxus are Definately underrated...I had a set, worn them down to 3/32nds.....And SOLD them for $100.00

Great overall tire...Just overshadowed by "marketing" of BFG..(KM2's suck)
Agree. BFG's marketing hype is really overwhelming, and that's true for many of their products. I would not say the KM2s totally suck however, I just bought a new set But they are probably incredibly overrated. Definitely not the best MT tire out there.

At the end I got the KM2s mostly because I needed a good compromise between DD and weekend wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Not even close...

I like the wheels tho.
/\

LOL, true. I like the wheels too

4.56 gears, IVD COs, Lock Right Locker front/rear, Manual Locking Hubs, ARB Front Bumper, Allpro 3" Leaf Springs, 33X10.50 BFG KM2s, Pro Comp "1069" 15X8 Black Wheels (3.75 back spacing), 4Xinnovation Rock Sliders w/kickout, Biltein 5125 rear, ScanGauge 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear
Sometimes the one guy at the urinals with the biggest dick, isn't the ONE with the easiest aim. so in other words, don't piss away your performance thinking biggest is best for this situation! cuz it ain't
ben90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
steve604
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Not even close...

I like the wheels tho.
yeah, the wheels are the reason i bought those thornbirds. they were a pretty much new set of five turdbirds and wheels for $850. i drove around with those tires for a couple of weeks, almost died twice, then had them peeled off to sell the tires themselves. a stupid kid in a ranger saw them on craigslist and had to have them, he paid my asking price of $1100.

2 months later i saw the set on craigslist again for the same price....

allpro bilstein/eibach coilovers, uca's, 3" rear springs + 1 1/4" lift shackles, 1" daystar body lift, arb bumper, trd muffler, 1200lb marlin crawler clutch, trail gear rock sliders, m8000 with synthetic line... bent frame
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
ben90
Veteran Member

My Rig: Tacoma

Quote:
yeah, the wheels are the reason i bought those thornbirds. they were a pretty much new set of five turdbirds and wheels for $850. i drove around with those tires for a couple of weeks, almost died twice, then had them peeled off to sell the tires themselves. a stupid kid in a ranger saw them on craigslist and had to have them, he paid my asking price of $1100.

2 months later i saw the set on craigslist again for the same price....
damn, that kid really screwed himself on that deal, hahaha

Hell of a deal for you; you made more money out of the tires alone than what you paid for the whole thing originally

4.56 gears, IVD COs, Lock Right Locker front/rear, Manual Locking Hubs, ARB Front Bumper, Allpro 3" Leaf Springs, 33X10.50 BFG KM2s, Pro Comp "1069" 15X8 Black Wheels (3.75 back spacing), 4Xinnovation Rock Sliders w/kickout, Biltein 5125 rear, ScanGauge 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear
Sometimes the one guy at the urinals with the biggest dick, isn't the ONE with the easiest aim. so in other words, don't piss away your performance thinking biggest is best for this situation! cuz it ain't
ben90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
cape taco12
Veteran Member

Did interco solve the disintegrating TRUXus problem yet?
On a local forum there are 3 people who have had one fall apart at highway speed or blow a belt within 6months of buying them. The only 2 guys in my club running them have each lost one pretty much new tire to a manufacturs defect.
cape taco12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
steve604
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape taco12 View Post
Did interco solve the disintegrating TRUXus problem yet?
On a local forum there are 3 people who have had one fall apart at highway speed or blow a belt within 6months of buying them. The only 2 guys in my club running them have each lost one pretty much new tire to a manufacturs defect.
are you trying to correct my spelling of TRXUS here? if you are, you're WRONG

i know people with trxus mt's and they are a popular tire around here. i have heard of very few complaints/problems. i know a guy with a g-wagen that had one of his 37's blow out last summer in california but they way it blew looked like he had a cut in the sidewall before it happened.

either way, i drive this truck very little so i'm not too worried about it. these tires will be at half tread or more 4 years from now when i decide i want something different on the truck.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
cape taco12
Veteran Member

Quote:
are you trying to correct my spelling of TRXUS here? if you are, you're WRONG

i know people with trxus mt's and they are a popular tire around here. i have heard of very few complaints/problems. i know a guy with a g-wagen that had one of his 37's blow out last summer in california but they way it blew looked like he had a cut in the sidewall before it happened.

either way, i drive this truck very little so i'm not too worried about it. these tires will be at half tread or more 4 years from now when i decide i want something different on the truck.
Not trying to correct anyspelling just went to capitolize the t stuck the shift key a bit to long and misspelled it anyways. Didn't bother to correct the caps issue cuz i really didnt care.

When they work they are awesome tires i have no doubt. They look awesome have pretty great street manors from what i understand. The reason i was bringing that up was because i felt that it was an important issue to be considered when buying a product that they have certain issues. I think thats probably the absolute only downside to those tires but its a damn big one.

For the sake of this thread i wont include all the quotes reguarding failures on just one small local forum but ill just toss in a couple pics. Both tires had less than 2500miles on them.

cape taco12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
mustangstephen

Bump for an update. Thinking about these for a next set for my DD and curious how they're wearing.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #11
steve604
Veteran Member

i like them but i don't drive my truck much so can't say much about wear.

THEY DO NOT BALANCE but it doesn't bother me much. they do work awesome off-road though and have proven tough in some places where guys with mt/r's and km2's were cutting sidewalls and chunking tread off.

for a daily driver go with the usual goodyear, bfg or toyo mt. they balance nicely and wear well while still working ok off-road.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:27 AM   #12
TrailBlazin'

My Rig: THE HARD TACO

Thornbirds are the ugliest, most worthless pieces of shit you could ever buy. You'd be better off on bald fucking street tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
Anyone wanting dual exhaust on a Tacoma has already breathed in too much carbon monoxide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by partyman66 View Post
The person in that picture needs to get their pussy-assed hands dirty by doing some wrenching, dirtbiking or hunting. Jesus, those are bitch-hands.
TrailBlazin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
mustangstephen

Thanks for the update. I was hopping for a better report on the balancing but oh well. My daily commute isn't far but wheeling is a couple hours drive away minimum so the balancing may become an issue there. I'm pretty sure KM2's will be the my next tire, just been hoping to find something that doesn't seem like everybody else is running.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
lunarmist02
Veteran Member

The trxus M/T's were my first m/t tires, I felt that they performed well In most driving conditions but I did have issues balancing them and at about 20,000 mi. were noisy and had uneven wear.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #15
mustangstephen

Just how bad are they for highway driving when they're out of balance? I read somewhere someone threw the airsoft BBS in them also. I've never driven a vehicle with BBS in the tires so curious if there is any downsides to doing this?

On a side note I've had front end issues with rack and pinion bushings and inner tie rods this last set of tires that I've since fixed but killed my even tire wear so I'm already use to an imperfect (AT) tire. Who knows how out of balance they are right now so maybe I'm over thinking this and should just go for it? FWIW I'm not worried about noise, my glass pack covers that.