My 03 Build - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Regional Forums > By State > Arkansas > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
ARK_SWAMP_RIDER

Default My 03 Build

I've had my 03 4runner for about 2.5 years now, been slowly working on it to make it more off road worthy. I'm new to off road (mostly use it to hunt/fish), but hope now that I'm better setup for it I can start hitting some of the trails at Superlift and other places. Not going to wheel this thing hard as it's my daily driver, but going to enjoy having a more capable rig so I can hit some trials.

Started out as a stock 03 4x4 Limited.

Not long after I had it, installed a 1.5" leveling kit on the front and added 255/75/17 Hankook DynaPro ATM tires. Worked well for my needs.

And that leads up to the current setup. Was planning on making the Gorilla Run, but decided to spend the weekend getting the 4runner overhauled with parts that have been laying around. Current setup is Bilstein 5100's and OME coils for ~3.5" of lift, 1/2" body lift, Light Racing UCA's, Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers, and 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs. I have other mods to make it more dd worthy, nothing really worth mentioning for off road worthiness. Probably going to hold off on other mods for a while, but future plans include armor and recovery gear. No off road shots yet, but here's a couple quick ones I snapped today.

Stock for now
ARK_SWAMP_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
79coyotefrg
Veteran Member

looks ready to hit the trails
79coyotefrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
ARK_SWAMP_RIDER

Finally had a chance to get off road. Wasn't anything crazy, just a few washed out back roads. Wanted to get a before and after impression to compare the current OME setup to the Overland Warehouse coil overs that I've got ordered. Should be in on Monday and hope to get installed sometime next week. Also, I had quite a bit of rubbing so I'm considering swapping the 1/2" body lift for a 1.5". I've already got the suspension maxed out, so really no other options.

Stock for now
Old 04-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
domino
Veteran Member

Looks good! Where is the rubbing coming from? It may be something easy that you could trim/clearance inside the wheel well. Too much body lift and you'll have to do some serious bumper work to make it look decent. Also, where were those pictures taken? Looks like a nice place for a scenic drive.
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
ARK_SWAMP_RIDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Looks good! Where is the rubbing coming from? It may be something easy that you could trim/clearance inside the wheel well. Too much body lift and you'll have to do some serious bumper work to make it look decent. Also, where were those pictures taken? Looks like a nice place for a scenic drive.
Outside of Little Rock, just past Williams Junction. Made a loop around Forked Mountain (think that's the name). I'm not familiar with the area, a member of the t4r.org site took me out there to show me around. It was a great drive, very scenic. I believe some guys here did a cruise through there not long ago.

I really don't think I can trim or clearance anything on the front. Its rubbing the rear of the fender well. Its bad enough I even get some rubbing on the street. I'm thinking about having the alignment checked, as I believe they can adjust it to bring the wheel forward slightly. If this could be done and the alignment kept in spec, could resolve the issues.

I'm not real crazy on the idea of the larger body lift, but if the above doesn't work I think that's my only option. That's the reason I did the 1/2" to start. I was hoping it'd be just enough to give some added clearance.

Here's a pic of the rear. I wasn't fully flexed out and it rubbed like crazy.

Here's the front. I didn't have a pic of the actual rubbing, but I wiped off the spot to show where it was making contact. Really don't think you can trim that.
Stock for now
Old 04-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
JWaldz
Veteran Member

Is that way out highway 10? Looks like it would be a fun ride.

My Ride - CarDomain & TTORA
JWaldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
ARK_SWAMP_RIDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWaldz View Post
Yea. We just went on a 2-3 hour trip, but definitely more out there to explore. We went out and hit the dirt around Lake Sylvia. For more info you can Google Forked Mountain, it'll pull it up. That's the name of the mountain in the pics.
Stock for now
Old 04-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Arky Tacoma
Veteran Member

Quote:
You flaked out on us back around Christmas when Josh and I went out there, remember?

2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab V-6 4wd
Dana 44 Front Axle/ARB Locker/Rear LockRight
4.88's
ARB Bumper/Warn M8000/Amsteel Line
4xInnovations Sliders
Torch Worx Fab Rear Bumper
37x12.50/17 Cooper STT's/Black Steelies
Viair 450c OBA System
Uniden Pro520xl CB w/ 5 ft. Hustler whip
Arky Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
JWaldz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky Tacoma View Post
You flaked out on us back around Christmas when Josh and I went out there, remember?
Saayyy whaaa???

Looks like a fun trip.. I'd be down to go. I won't "flake" this time.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
tchughes

My Rig: 2002 Toyota 4Runner

SWAMP_RIDER,
I was in the Lake Sylvia/Lake Winona area on 4/07 also and it was a beautiful day. I'm surprised we missed you. We camped Friday night at Lake Sylvia and spent Saturday in the Forest (8 hours and about 70 miles). I prefer this much more than the ORV park.

Hope to see you out there soon. Here's a couple of my pics from the trip.

Last edited by tchughes; 04-10-2012 at 09:33 PM.
tchughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
tchughes

I also ment to add that the 4Runner is looking great, love the black.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #12
YotaJosh

Great pictures!

In your first pic, did you cross on over that dirt mound and head to the top of the mountain? That trail is pretty fun.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
ARK_SWAMP_RIDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaJosh View Post
Great pictures!

In your first pic, did you cross on over that dirt mound and head to the top of the mountain? That trail is pretty fun.
No we didn't. We didn't have a ton of time so we stuck to the main roads mostly, minus a few trails for camera shots. I'll be headed back out there sometime soon to try out and compare the new setup.
Stock for now
Old 04-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #14
JWaldz
Veteran Member

Other than this weekend of course and next weekend (wedding) let me know and I might go out there with ya. Just pm in advance so I can plan accordingly.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #15
domino
Veteran Member

Quote:
Other than this weekend of course and next weekend (wedding) let me know and I might go out there with ya. Just pm in advance so I can plan accordingly.
I wouldn't mind tagging along on something like this myself. I'm optimistic that I've made the 4runner more road-worthy with the new tires and all the suspension/steering work I've done in the last few months. Now I'd just need tags and insurance.
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
ARK_SWAMP_RIDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I wouldn't mind tagging along on something like this myself. I'm optimistic that I've made the 4runner more road-worthy with the new tires and all the suspension/steering work I've done in the last few months. Now I'd just need tags and insurance.
Let's get this going. If there's anyone who's familiar with the area and those trails, maybe they can head this up? I'd be down for the trip, just don't know enough about the area to get things going.
Stock for now
Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #17
tchughes

I'm the newbie to TTORA but I would be willing to work with someone and put something together. I frequent the Ouachitas often and am familiar with the area.

ARK_SWAMP_RIDER apologies for hijacking the the thread.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #18
ARK_SWAMP_RIDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchughes View Post
I'm the newbie to TTORA but I would be willing to work with someone and put something together. I frequent the Ouachitas often and am familiar with the area.

ARK_SWAMP_RIDER apologies for hijacking the the thread.
Good deal. I may be able to round up a few more 4runners for this run also.

No worries on the hi-jack....I'm glad to get something like this going again. The trails at Superlift really aren't my cup of tea. I'd hit the minor stuff, but not willing to go on the ones most here run, at least not until I get the 87 trail ready (which probably won't be anytime soon as everything going toward the 03 at the moment). I missed out on the last trip, really wanted to go.
Stock for now
Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #19
tchughes

So how do you feel about pin strips on that nice black paint? Would this be ridin dirt roads for the day or do you want to hit some some trails that are a little tighter? Here's a link to the route we took last weekend, thought it would give you an idea of some area's that could be hit.

http://g.co/maps/55ftb
Old 04-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #20
ARK_SWAMP_RIDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchughes View Post
So how do you feel about pin strips on that nice black paint? Would this be ridin dirt roads for the day or do you want to hit some some trails that are a little tighter? Here's a link to the route we took last weekend, thought it would give you an idea of some area's that could be hit.

http://g.co/maps/55ftb
I try to avoid the Arkansas pin stripes. What I did was more mountain cruising than actual trail riding. We'll do whatever the others want, don't make the decision based on me. If the others want to hit the trails that are more technical and not as open, I probably won't take the 4runner but maybe someone will have a spare seat so I can still tag along.

In the end, my 03 is going to be a capable daily driver. I'll admit I baby it somewhat, but since its my dd and only vehicle, I don't like pushing it too far. I have hopes of getting my 87 trail ready in the next year or so. Its not tagged or insured at the moment, and the 4wd doesn't work, but its what I have for the take anywhere rig.
Stock for now
Old 04-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #21
tchughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARK_SWAMP_RIDER View Post
I try to avoid the Arkansas pin stripes. What I did was more mountain cruising than actual trail riding. We'll do whatever the others want, don't make the decision based on me. If the others want to hit the trails that are more technical and not as open, I probably won't take the 4runner but maybe someone will have a spare seat so I can still tag along.

In the end, my 03 is going to be a capable daily driver. I'll admit I baby it somewhat, but since its my dd and only vehicle, I don't like pushing it too far. I have hopes of getting my 87 trail ready in the next year or so. Its not tagged or insured at the moment, and the 4wd doesn't work, but its what I have for the take anywhere rig.
I understand about the pin stripes, even after last weekends trip I got out there and did a little cleaning to get rid of the few extra scratches I gained.

I'm going to see if anyone else chimes in on what they expect out of a trip before I put something together. I can put a route together pretty quickly and then we can see when everyone might be available. Thanks for getting this started.