Baja Edition on Order... - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Vehicle Specific Tech > Late Tacoma Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
DesertRat

Default Baja Edition in DriveWay (5/22)

I'm Baaack...

Well it's been almost 3 years now since I said "Goodbye" to my 2006 TRD Off-Road Double Cab 4x4 Tacoma and to this forum. I sold it and bought a 2010 Ford SVT Raptor. I have to say that the Raptor was one cool truck. It was an absolute blast going down rough dirt roads at 80+ mph. The only trouble was that it also doubled as my daily driver and it was HUGE to drive around town and park in my tiny garage. I only had it 6 months before selling it and getting an Xterra.

I just got back from my smiling Toyota dealer where I just ordered a new Tacoma Baja Edition. I'm looking forward to getting back into another Taco. I did miss it dearly.

I'll let you know when I get more info as to the delivery date...

Last edited by DesertRat; 05-23-2012 at 09:11 AM.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
dcpsychobilly

My Rig: 04 dbl cab
Send a message via AIM to dcpsychobilly

baja edition any details ? No idea on the baja edition. Google here I come

Hmm looks kool
dcpsychobilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
sooner02r1
Veteran Member

Can you get it in a double cab? All I've seen is access cab in pictures? Looks sweet though.

98 4Runner Limited 4x4: KMC Enduro 16x8, Yokohama Geolandar AT-S 285/75/16, Sway A Way 2.0 Coilovers, OME 906 springs, Cobra 18 WX ST II CB, Custom expedition rack/sleep platform
sooner02r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
tacoma818
Veteran Member

I just read an article on the Bajas basically its just an access cab tacoma with bilistien shocks front and rear and trd coils. Along with baja graphics and a 4.0 oh and newly redesigned interior.
saw 2.0
Bili 5125
OME Dakars
Open 4.88s
Mickey Thompson classic II 16x8 285/75/16 Nitto all-terrains
tacoma818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
DesertRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner02r1 View Post
Can you get it in a double cab? All I've seen is access cab in pictures? Looks sweet though.
Yeah, most of the pics I've seen were also of the access cab. Both are now available to order. There are only two color choices as well, Black or Red. I picked the Barcelona Red Double Cab 4x4 with an auto transmission...
Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
sdtaco

Mine was made in Baja, so that makes it a Baja edition right?

ICON C/O's resis front and rear
TC UCA's Heim joint
Mojave ATX 17'
BFG AT's 33"
sdtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
sooner02r1
Veteran Member

hmm a black double cab 4x4 baja sounds right up my alley!

98 4Runner Limited 4x4: KMC Enduro 16x8, Yokohama Geolandar AT-S 285/75/16, Sway A Way 2.0 Coilovers, OME 906 springs, Cobra 18 WX ST II CB, Custom expedition rack/sleep platform
sooner02r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
Cryptotaco

How much does the baja package add to the price of the truck?
Old 03-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
DesertRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptotaco View Post
How much does the baja package add to the price of the truck?
They still don't have a "official price" yet... Toyota is estimating a total price in the "mid-30's". Even though I placed the order with my dealer, I have the option of getting my deposit back if the price is "too high" or I don't like the truck. The Baja Edition is going to be an EXTREMELY limited run with only 750 being made for the 2012 model year.

The trucks are built in Texas as regular TRD Off-Road models. After being completed they are then driven across the plant site to another facility that adds the Baja components (suspension, tires/wheels, and graphics). At least that's the way I understand it...
Old 03-31-2012, 05:42 AM   #10
Cryptotaco

Thanks. I was told the same thing by a local dealer here. I decided not to put a deposit on a truck that doesn't have a price. I'm worried that the package will push the price near $40k. Or that dealers won't let them go for less because of the limited production. Mid-30's is the highest I'd go considering you can get a 2012 TRD Off Road for $30k.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
MarioMX17

Congrats on the purchase. I like the idea of the T/X Baja. I've been following Toyota's campaign on it since they let some info leak virally. I'm pretty sure it has:
1.75" lift over the TRD edition
Bilstein shocks up front with heavier red coils
Bilsteins in the rear with remote reservoirs.
Black TRD wheels with BFG T/A KOs
TRD cat back exhaust.
Bold graphics
Everything the TRD off road package has
Only offered in Red and Black access or double cab short bed
Unique interior

It looks pretty sick, but in my opinion it's not worth it. If you want to buy the T/X Baja and keep it the way it is... well then by all means go for it.

If you want to modify it, well that's a whole different story. The TRD wheels are going to have to go for some with less backspacing. The shocks need to be replaced if you're going to add more lift. I'm not a huge fan of the Baja graphics. The tires are only 265/70R16s. If you want to lift the T/X Baja you might as well buy the TRD off road.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -Mark Twain
MarioMX17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
hilux30
Veteran Member

yep... I 2nd that motion, really what's the point on factory good looks and toys if they all end up for sale or on the shelve.. I felt when I bought my TRD off road that I could have saved the $$ because everything including the gears and locker was swapped out. but it was a used purchase so it would have been close.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
DesertRat

I agree 100%. That's why I'm buying one and keeping it stock. When the tires wear down I'll switch to 265/75R16's but that's about the limit to which it'll be modified.

I'll been modifying/upgrading Tacomas and Wranglers now for almost 20 years and have never gotten it "just right" without some sort of vibration, shimmy, wooble or other headache that I created by my own design. I'm gonna buy this one, pretty much leave it stock and enjoy the hell out of it...

You're also right when you mention the graphics. I'm not sold on those decals. They might end up in the dumpster after I get it home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioMX17 View Post
Congrats on the purchase. I like the idea of the T/X Baja. I've been following Toyota's campaign on it since they let some info leak virally. I'm pretty sure it has:
1.75" lift over the TRD edition
Bilstein shocks up front with heavier red coils
Bilsteins in the rear with remote reservoirs.
Black TRD wheels with BFG T/A KOs
TRD cat back exhaust.
Bold graphics
Everything the TRD off road package has
Only offered in Red and Black access or double cab short bed
Unique interior

It looks pretty sick, but in my opinion it's not worth it. If you want to buy the T/X Baja and keep it the way it is... well then by all means go for it.

If you want to modify it, well that's a whole different story. The TRD wheels are going to have to go for some with less backspacing. The shocks need to be replaced if you're going to add more lift. I'm not a huge fan of the Baja graphics. The tires are only 265/70R16s. If you want to lift the T/X Baja you might as well buy the TRD off road.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 AM   #14
MarioMX17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
You're also right when you mention the graphics. I'm not sold on those decals. They might end up in the dumpster after I get it home.
Hahaha I like the graphics on the rear of the bed (where Toyota always puts the TRD and T/X Taco graphics). The Baja logo makes me think it was designed by the same person who designs Tapout shirts. It just seems like something I would have loved when I was 16 and something cops would love as well.

IMO BAJA would have looked better with the standard set of bed graphics and some chrome or painted raised lettering. Place a set of raised letters on the grill and tailgate. The Tailgate would look like this:
(Toyota Tacoma ....................... V6 Baja Edition)

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -Mark Twain
MarioMX17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
ScreamingTaco

My Rig: 2008 Taco 4x4

By the looks of things, you could peel off the Tapout graphic and still keep the TX Baja badging.

ScreamingTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #16
drsus

I've seen the truck in person, its a sticker, just like the TRD or TX stickers, super easy peel with little bit of heart gun action.
drsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
Shakerhood
Veteran Member

I dont like those tribal graphics either, they would come off the first day.
Shakerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #18
oxi
Banned

Why don't you just keep your current Tacoma and order the front shocks/springs and rear shocks/leafs and call it a day?

They all have part numbers...
oxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #19
DesertRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxi View Post
Why don't you just keep your current Tacoma and order the front shocks/springs and rear shocks/leafs and call it a day?

They all have part numbers...
Please read the first thread, I sold it...
Old 04-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #20
hilux30
Veteran Member

When I drove to the dealer (Dunning T in Ann Arbor) there was a Baja Tacoma in the distance which I thought was a 2012 for the way it was displayed. It turns out to be a 2011 Baja but it had OME eveything, 886's and Dakars, and I thought for a minute that's how they come...
Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #21
DesertRat

A couple of early reviews have finally been showing up. Here's one of the most recent.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/04...d-tx-baja.html

Sounds promising...
Old 04-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #22
DesertRat

Default prices anounced today...

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...es+april12.htm

Looks like the one I ordered will be $35,255 + $810 delivery. That's getting up there in price. The Raptor I bought back in September of 2010 was about $40,000...
Old 04-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #23
SampleFool

So they offer Baja rims, but dont put them on the baja edition. That does not make sense. My 08 off-road came with the Baja rims but they are scratched to shit now.
SampleFool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:29 AM   #24
TrailBlazin'

My Rig: THE HARD TACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
i just ordered a new tacoma baja edition.
Winning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
Anyone wanting dual exhaust on a Tacoma has already breathed in too much carbon monoxide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by partyman66 View Post
The person in that picture needs to get their pussy-assed hands dirty by doing some wrenching, dirtbiking or hunting. Jesus, those are bitch-hands.
TrailBlazin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #25
DesertRat

Just got the call from my dealer this morning. They're expecting delivery of my truck by May 25th. Now the countdown gets serious...
Old 05-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #26
DesertRat

Quote:
Just got the call from my dealer this morning. They're expecting delivery of my truck by May 25th. Now the countdown gets serious...
Spoke to the dealer again today. Truck is still on time and scheduled to arrive next Friday. They claim it's one of the first ones in AZ...
Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #27
DesertRat

Default It's Here...

Just got the call from my dealer today. I went down after work to check it out. It looks GREAT. It does sit noticably taller than a standard TRD Off-Road model. I'm still a bit undecided about the rear graphics but what the hell.

Couple things I noticed: The magazines stated that it was going to have a rubber floor covering but it did indeed have black carpet. The spare tire does NOT match the other BFG All Terrain tires but is the plain Rugged Trail. Exhaust note sounds just a bit louder than I expected. The MPG rating on the window sticker is the same as the standard TRD Off-Road. I didn't know if the little extra weight, and higher stance would have reduced the MPG rating.

I pick it up tomorrow evening and will post pics soon...
Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #28
JoeTacoma02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just got the call from my dealer today. I went down after work to check it out. It looks GREAT. It does sit noticably taller than a standard TRD Off-Road model. I'm still a bit undecided about the rear graphics but what the hell.

Couple things I noticed: The magazines stated that it was going to have a rubber floor covering but it did indeed have black carpet. The spare tire does NOT match the other BFG All Terrain tires but is the plain Rugged Trail. Exhaust note sounds just a bit louder than I expected. The MPG rating on the window sticker is the same as the standard TRD Off-Road. I didn't know if the little extra weight, and higher stance would have reduced the MPG rating.

I pick it up tomorrow evening and will post pics soon...
Nice! Look forward to the pictures. With all that $$ invested in to a package you would think they would put a matching spare tire

||Mall Crawler||

My Build

Gitout.com

JoeTacoma02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #29
blitzburgh99

Pics!! Lots of pics!!!!
1999 Tacoma TRD, Ext Cab, 3.4 v6, 4x4, auto, OME 883s, Dakar rear leafs, Nitrocharger Sport shocks, Shrockworks front bumper, Shrockworks rear plate bumper (production #1), TRD Beadlock wheels, power moonroof, ARE camper shell, bedrug

original one-owner vehicle----241,000 miles... And counting!
blitzburgh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #30
DesertRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh99 View Post
Pics!! Lots of pics!!!!
Just got it home 20 minutes ago...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0795.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	60.8 KB