Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor & Throttle Control Motor Don't Turn Together? - Page 10 - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > General Tech > Performance/Engine/Exhaust
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #271
nags

Send a message via AIM to nags

I haven't been around in a few years... Has anyone got anywhere with this problem? I'm going nuts.
URD Supergrip Pulley
K&N FIPK
Permacool Electric Fan
Hayden Transmission Cooler
Magnaflow Exhaust
Test Pipe
Hellwig Rear Swaybar
nags is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #272
James (Cubby) Culbertson

Now might just be the time for everyone with this issue to send their complaints to Toyota. They seem to be on the ropes with all their other issues so perhaps they'll realize they need to address this one too! I already sent my complaint to them...
Cheers,
cc
James (Cubby) Culbertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #273
Earreseigor

Smile

I got the same issue . My truck just looses all power between 1900 ~2200 rpms. Also at high speeds it seems to strugle 90 plus. Anyhow I got a 2003 taco s/c and it seems this is the year with the most tps problems.. I think this technology of fly by wire sucks. What were the engineers thinking " uhhh let's put plastic parts near the motor and see what happens .I was always so quick to say that Japanese cars are superior to anything else but with all these rising mistakes don't know anymore
Earreseigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #274
Earreseigor

Exclamation

If people that end up having a failed throttle body assembly would keep filing complaints on the NHTSA website and describe how you feel this is a safety issue because it could fail when you are pulling out in front of that big dump truck in morning rush hour then maybe they will start an investigation and force a recall on it.

Please everyone spread the word join more Tacoma forrums and tell everyone To call the NHTSA

I did already !!!! Do you really feel it's fair for all of us to pay for there f&$@ up!

There is power in numbers and NOW IS THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #275
Earreseigor

Exclamation

FILE A SAFETY COMPLAINT

Form Approved: O.M.B. No. 2127-0008
HOW TO REPORT A SAFETY COMPLAINT
Select how you would like to report your complaint. See below for information regarding this form.
ONLINE: Select the "Begin Form" button to the right.
BY PHONE: Call the Hotline, Monday-Friday 8am to 8pm at
(888) 327-4236 , TTY: (800) 424-9153.

WHO WE ARE
We are The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), an office within the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). ODI conducts defect investigations and administers safety recalls to support the NHTSA's mission to improve safety on our Nation's roadways.
WHY YOUR COMPLAINT IS IMPORTANT
Your complaint information will be entered into NHTSA-ODI's vehicle owner's complaint database and used with other complaints to determine if a safety-related defect trend exists.
If a safety-related defect exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment, the manufacturer must provide a remendy at no cost to the owner. Your complaint is the first step in the process.
We do not have to receive a specific number of complaints before we look into a problem. We gather all available information on a problem. Your complaint is important to us.
HOW YOUR COMPLAINT IS HANDLED
Government engineers analyze the problem. If warranted, the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) will open an investigation to determine if a safety defect trend exists. Some of these investigations result in safety recalls.
While you may or may not be contacted by a NHTSA-ODI investigator to clarify the information submitted, all reports are reviewed and analyzed for potential defects trends.
FILLING OUT THIS FORM
Types of safety complaints
There are four types of safety complaints you can report.
Vehicles: All motor vehicles -- cars, heavy trucks, RV's, motorcycles, emergency vehicles, buses, etc.
Tires: All types of tires -- requires you to submit your vehicle information as well.
Equipment: Non-original equipment -- replacement oil filters, wipers, RV accessories, lights, floor jacks, etc.
Child Restraint: All types of child restraints --infant seats, booster seats, convertibles, etc.
Time needed to complete
The average time to complete the minimum requirements of this form is eight to ten minutes. It is advised you gather the necessary information for your complaint type before completing the complaint form.
Information needed
Below is a list of items you will need for each type of Complaint. Select the "+" button for the type to see what information you will need.
Vehicles
Model Year
Make
Model
Component*
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) (Optional, but very important)
Found on registration or insurance card.
* Component -- Part or system of concern
Tires
Equipment
Child Restraints
Consumer

Send your suggestions or comments to webmaster@nhtsa.dot.gov.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #276
cruiseroutfit

Knock on wood my last APPS (throttle body assembly) has lasted longer than the last two. I disconnected the coolant lines to the TB and noted a marked temp difference in the unit, I think I posted the actual numbers in this thread?

I've had a throttle body spacer kicking around all this time too but have not gotten around to installing it quite yet. I really ought to do this before my APPS slips again.

I filed a NHTSA complaint a few years back but will do it again.
TLCA
Wasatch Cruisers
Wild Yoats #99
UT-TTORA #155
RR4W #789
cruiseroutfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #277
alk1174

Anyone know of place to get a throttle body form besides the dealer? I have a friend who is having this problem on his 03 and the dealer is quoting $1100 for a new throttle body. Is there a better source?
alk1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #278
nags

Send a message via AIM to nags

I'm definitely going to get rear ended eventually. The problem has now shifted and no longer happens too often at high speeds. It now happens from a stop. I go to give it gas and the truck just "bucks" but never goes past like 8mph unless I let go of the throttle for a few seconds and then get back on it.
URD Supergrip Pulley
K&N FIPK
Permacool Electric Fan
Hayden Transmission Cooler
Magnaflow Exhaust
Test Pipe
Hellwig Rear Swaybar
nags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #279
SurfingDrunk
L'enfer, c'est les autres

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisDawg View Post
2003, Tacoma, V6, Auto, S/C, 7th and all that . . . I was driving down the freeway and every now and then it is like I took my foot off the gas Ė but I didnít! If I step on it, it is fine. I used to think my foot had just slipped sometimes! Very intermittent. It did it a few time months ago a lot but went away and then this past weekend, it did it every few minutes until it stuck that way. The truck still goes, can do freeway speeds, but there is considerable play in the gas petal and canít floor it (even when floored).

So I clean the throttle body and check everything. Still the same. I compare this to another Tacoma. If both are running and one grabs the throttle linkage at the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (front of Throttle Body) and turn it counter clockwise, a good V6 will rev with nearly zero play while mine twists about 15 degrees or more before anything happens, the same as the play in the petal.

Though it threw a Check Engine Light when throttle response went away it went out on its own before I could hook up the ODBII reader and get the code and has not come back.

So I start the diagnostics in the Toyota Manual (at SF-28). Linkage OK, with ignition on I can hear the Throttle Control Motor, The Throttle Opening Percentage goes to 60% but not much more, Idle is good . . . The Throttle Control Motorís motor resistance is in range but the clutch is 5.3 ohms (range is 4.2 to 5.2). However, the temp was above 68 degrees as they list for measurement for the above range to be valid. Both the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor and the Throttle Position Sensor read in range and checking the other pins, they seem to change resistance smoothly (but I do not know if the ranges are right as I do not have a min and max resistance spec for the extremes of these potentiometers).

If I take the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor off but leave it connected and the ignition turned on and turn the sensor, the Throttle Control Motor clutch does not immediately engage (but I can hear it click) and reflect the movements of the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. The 15 degree or so gap is there. If I move the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor back and forth, there are times that the Throttle Body responds slowly as well.

So, is the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor bad (increased potentiometer resistance) and not letting the ECU know I am stepping on the gas until it has moved. Is the Throttle Control Motor or its clutch failing? Anything else?
have you tried seafoam?

"There is nothing good or bad but thinking makes it so". Bill Shakes

I love to buy my parts from Toyota of Dallas!

Fallen in the line of duty: '93 Toyota, '00 Tacoma, '97 4Runner
SurfingDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #280
LC1

My Rig: 2001 4Runner 4WD SR5

I have a 2001 4runner, with tbw, 160k. Experiencing similar symptoms. Resetting ecu seems to help for a hundred miles.

Maybe im posting in the wrong area. Really seeking some input on this.

My question (more so than a response) is this, dennis you stated that while using cruise control one shouldnt expect the apps to be at fault for aforementioned issues. Im not sure any part of my throttle body is at fault, tps and throttle motor both fall in spec with resistence check.

Has any one ever considered vsc or trac to be culprits? Are tacomas even equipped with those systems.?

How far out of range (resitence) is enough to cause a problem? I just chekced the throttle motor, and it reads 5.6 at cl- & cl+

Thanks
-Louis

Last edited by LC1; 10-28-2011 at 10:38 PM.
LC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #281
Albino

My Rig: 2003 Tacoma
Default Yet another one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earreseigor View Post
I got the same issue . My truck just looses all power between 1900 ~2200 rpms. Also at high speeds it seems to strugle 90 plus. Anyhow I got a 2003 taco s/c and it seems this is the year with the most tps problems.. I think this technology of fly by wire sucks. What were the engineers thinking " uhhh let's put plastic parts near the motor and see what happens .I was always so quick to say that Japanese cars are superior to anything else but with all these rising mistakes don't know anymore
Same problem, except I'm not SC'ed. Just a stock 2003 5 spd. I get a power loss @ ~1800 - 2000 rpm. The usual range I drive through town. I usually experience the dead spot when turning right at a green light, down shift to third and try to accelerate out of the turn. I get nothing *sometimes*

This problem began last summer around 100K and oddly enough after I changed the oil and air filter. Toyota air filter BTW. Had zero issues all winter. Now that temps are going over 60, It's coming back. Last year it was consistent with 80+ temps.

I had suspected it was a worn contact point. Like when I had RC cars and the old manual speed controllers with contact points. Maybe something in the APPS that's not getting or sending a signal at a particular degree of rotation?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #282
xcmountain80

Send a message via AIM to xcmountain80

Well I'm not supercharged and have read all 10 pages and still uncertain as to whether it is the TPS or not.

No SuperCharger

At just under 300,000 miles

2002 4Runner Automatic

Slipping or failure seems to occour after 10 miles of driving in the city.

Slipping or failure used to just be dropping and surging betwn 38mph - 49mph.

Now the surging happens when at idle, 500 RPM up to 700-900 RPM

No codes have been thrown other than my standard ones that indicate a failed fuel thingy PO440, PO446.

I'm in FL so it is getting warmer hear.

Part number is 89452-35030 and is not supported through Toyota with a replacable part only a full Throttle Body. The part number ending in 030 like I have onboard is a 4 pin connector and a replacement ending in 020 for earlier models will not work because it is a 3 pin model.

I have found a few TPS's on ebay with 4 pins but am not 100% certain about compatibility.

Help.

Aaron