AT&T and their bs - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
JWaldz
Veteran Member

Default AT&T and their bs

I've been a customer with AT&T before they were even AT&T, roughly '04-'05. I've had an iPhone since the very first one Apple produced, now owning the 4s. My plan has always been the same, 450 minutes with rollover and unlimited messaging & data.

I know they do not offer unlimited data anymore but AT&T is seriously about to piss me off with this capping data bs to unlimited data users. The past couple months I've received emails, letters, and texts saying I may experience slower data since going over 3 gigs of data. Let me put this in perspective for you, I go from my normal nearly 5+ Mbps download to less than 1 Mbps This means anywhere from .25 to 1 Mbps. Either it's unlimited or not.. They also keep prying me to get the 5gig plan, but at about $20 more a month that's outrageous. WTF is AT&T's deal and why are they treating customers who have been with them for nearly 10 years like shit.

My Ride - CarDomain & TTORA
JWaldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
gregers05
EL PRESIDENTE

Send a message via AIM to gregers05

Verizon. I got my phone right before they did away with the unlimited plan. I still have it and havent noticed any cuts in my speed.

i would say switch, but then you will lose your "unlimited" data.

'99 Taco. 3.4L v6 5spd. 4x4

SAW 2.0
Deaver 3 leaf add pack w/Bilstein 5125s
4.88s and ARBs front and rear
33x12.50R15" Hankook Dynapro M/T
MIOR sliders
all-pro bumper and skids
Marlin Crawler rear bumper
Smittybuilt 10k Winch with in cab controls

2013 DC Tundra 5.7 Rockwarrior

My Pics
gregers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
faithoffroad
Veteran Member

I haven't had any issues yet. Still unlimited data for now I guess... They keep coming up with more and more stuff that uses data and the phone companies keep going lower and lower on their plans WTF?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
mustangstephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWaldz View Post
WTF is AT&T's deal and why are they treating customers who have been with them for nearly 10 years like shit.
Agreed. I plan on ditching them as soon as I can afford to pay off my contract. I know I can't get unlimmited again, but oh well.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
gregers05
EL PRESIDENTE

Send a message via AIM to gregers05

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithoffroad View Post
I haven't had any issues yet. Still unlimited data for now I guess... They keep coming up with more and more stuff that uses data and the phone companies keep going lower and lower on their plans WTF?
having a smart phone has become insanely expensive. it should be getting cheaper. bad part is, all the providers are bending us over. you either pay out the ass for decent coverage, or pay a little less out the ass but cant make phone calls because the coverage is so bad.

'99 Taco. 3.4L v6 5spd. 4x4

SAW 2.0
Deaver 3 leaf add pack w/Bilstein 5125s
4.88s and ARBs front and rear
33x12.50R15" Hankook Dynapro M/T
MIOR sliders
all-pro bumper and skids
Marlin Crawler rear bumper
Smittybuilt 10k Winch with in cab controls

2013 DC Tundra 5.7 Rockwarrior

My Pics
gregers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
BadBradHaz
Veteran Member

I saw some nonsense that they were throttling you all with the unlimited plan before you reached the 3 gig limit which is what everyone else can get. I thought that was pretty poor. It all comes down to network capacity. All the carriers are behind the curve on it. I am sure in a few years this will be like those people that were pissed about getting on to AOL at 28k instead of 56k.
BadBradHaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
TACODOC
Rendezvous Conspiracy

I've been with them since 05 and have unlimited, not a word form them to me about capping it.

What's hilarious is that after a recent OS update my 4S went from displaying "3G" to "4G"...

... I gaurandamntee you that their network didnt change a damn thing. Smoke and mirrors.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
faithoffroad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACODOC View Post
I've been with them since 05 and have unlimited, not a word form them to me about capping it.

What's hilarious is that after a recent OS update my 4S went from displaying "3G" to "4G"...

... I gaurandamntee you that their network didnt change a damn thing. Smoke and mirrors.

you're dead wrong sir. It's all rainbows and unicorns on the 4G side.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Scuba
Veteran Member

Quote:

I know they do not offer unlimited data anymore but AT&T is seriously about to piss me off with this capping data bs to unlimited data users. The past couple months I've received emails, letters, and texts saying I may experience slower data since going over 3 gigs of data. Let me put this in perspective for you, I go from my normal nearly 5+ Mbps download to less than 1 Mbps This means anywhere from .25 to 1 Mbps.
Shitty part is, that its in your contract that you can't sue them for not upholding their side of the "unlimited" part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACODOC View Post

Agreed. Its a joke basically. The 4G that apple is trying to trick us with is apple's dual band bs.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
JWaldz
Veteran Member

Trust me, it's real... http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...code=corporate

Here's the kicker..

Quote:
The amount of data usage of our top 5 percent of heaviest users varies from month to month, based on the usage of others and the ever-increasing demand for mobile broadband services. To rank among the top 5 percent, you have to use an extraordinary amount of data in a single billing period."
I didn't know using 3gigs of data is an EXTRAORDINARY amount. For the past two months they've been capping my ass. I use my phone for work.. downloading service manuals & pdf's, onsite internet researching, online tech chat, etc etc. It's bullshit. I don't download any videos but I do watch youtube. I download a few songs here and there but not enough to send me into "EXTRAORDINARY" land. What kills me is that AT&T has such a horrible ego that even if I threatened to leave they wouldn't give a shit. When they were Cingular they would throw you upgrades for free and do everything to get you to stay with them if you were feeling uneasy about their service.

Here's a link to the ongoing discussion on AT&Ts forums
http://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Ge...s/td-p/2815907

From http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...s-network.html
Quote:
To reach 3 gigabytes, every day users would have to stream about an hour of video or 3.5 hours of music, or post photos to Facebook about 300 times, according to AT&T’s Data Calculator.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
JWaldz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Shitty part is, that its in your contract that you can't sue them for not upholding their side of the "unlimited" part.
You're exactly right... It's in the fine print that no one ever reads anymore.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
faithoffroad
Veteran Member

Quote:
You're exactly right... It's in the fine print that no one ever reads anymore.
Whats the point of reading it? You gonna go somewhere else where they have the same exact fine print?
Old 05-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
mustangstephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Yes you can.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/judge-...195042534.html
Old 05-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
alabamatacomaguy
Veteran Member

My Rig: 2001 tacorip 2007 FJ

they were talking about this on the radio today on my way into work. They said the phone carriers are losing big money with unlimited plans and some were to the point of thinking that its cheaper to lose the customer than to keep. They didnt think ahead, they said they also wouldn't be surprised if fees fees or account changes come in the future as they are losing money on it.

my att iphone said something like i went over my data but i have an unlimited plan. When my brother renewed a few years back they talked him into switching away from unlimited to make his bill less 10 bucks a month but didnt mention the 15 charge for going over a certain amt

they will be phased/change to something else out eventually technologies changing is nothing new

i remember paying 800plus for a 1 gig hard drive
Old 05-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
JWaldz
Veteran Member

I talked to a rep on the phone not too long ago. They said if I continue to use "extraordinary" amounts of data they will automatically change my plan to a 5gig plan with or without my consent. They told me they will eventually be ridding of the unlimited plans, sending out notifications (emails, USPS, texts etc..) of immediate data plan changes with or without consent. For people like me who use this so called "extraordinary" amount will be subjected to a 5gig plan which is $20 more than the unlimited I have now or $10 more if I were to get 3gig and go over 1gig ($30+10) which I know I will every month. For all the others with unlimited that don't use much data they will change to data plans accordingly.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
alabamatacomaguy
Veteran Member

My Rig: 2001 tacorip 2007 FJ

thats pretty crappy of them. I laugh when they had those commercials saying they didnt drop calls..... more than once while watching those my phone would drop a call

but can we stop payment or pay less for call failed's i hope apple starts a service and kicks there ass
Old 05-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #17
johnecon2001
Tiny red truck

Unlimited wut?

Old 05-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #18
RickerRicker19
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1998 4runner 4x4
Send a message via AIM to RickerRicker19 Send a message via MSN to RickerRicker19

You might want to take it up with the BBB. When I got back from Afghan they somehow forgot to re-instate my insurance. My phone got jacked about a month after I got back and raised hell with them over it but they wouldn't budge so I reported their sorry a$$es for crappy customer service and a breach of contract. I ended up having to purchase a new phone immediately because I need it....but AT&T must have smelled me contacting my lawyer as they paid for my phone that I purchased so I got 500 something bucks back which was cool. But AT&T has been slacking for sure.
Slowly learning one repair at a time
RickerRicker19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
JWaldz
Veteran Member

I haven't received any messages lately stating the act of me going over 3GB but I'm still clearly getting throttled every month right around the 3gig mark. I don't know what to do. It's not like I have an option to use my phone less, I use it A LOT for work. My work wont pay the difference cus it's my personal phone and the work phones aren't smart phones! I'm tired of being throttled but it seems like the only option I have is to A)Suffer or B)Pony up the extra $20 a month for the 5gig plan.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #20
NorcalPR
NorCal Chapter Pres

My Rig: SAS'd 01 Tacoma
Send a message via AIM to NorcalPR

Use wifi when you can

Do you live in NorCal? Have you checked out the NorCal Section located here? If not check in today!
NorcalPR is online now   Reply With Quote