3.4 with 3.0 4wd trans - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > General Tech > Performance/Engine/Exhaust
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
kala

Default 3.4 with 3.0 4wd trans

yeah...did some searching..didnt find what I needed and got sidetracked.

1998 or 99 4Runner 3.4 4wd automatic. trans is going out and I have leads on a 5spd swap, except the person whos going to be primarily driving it can barely drive standard, let alone a dual friction one.
I have a set of 84 complete axles I was rebuilding for my hunting truck, but I can rebuild the sfa on there now and I can use the non-ifs rear. I have the brake lines, beam, cross over steering and shackles for another project that I can use.
I have a 1990 3.0 auto 4wd 4Runner I fixed up but only drove to work once and around the neighborhood.

My question is...is the 3.0 4wd auto trans a bolt up, plug n play swap into a 3.4 4wd 4Runner? If it is..I can use a toyota sfa instead of a waggy 44.
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
valon5150

My Rig: 84 pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
yeah...did some searching..didnt find what I needed and got sidetracked.

1998 or 99 4Runner 3.4 4wd automatic. trans is going out and I have leads on a 5spd swap, except the person whos going to be primarily driving it can barely drive standard, let alone a dual friction one.
I have a set of 84 complete axles I was rebuilding for my hunting truck, but I can rebuild the sfa on there now and I can use the non-ifs rear. I have the brake lines, beam, cross over steering and shackles for another project that I can use.
I have a 1990 3.0 auto 4wd 4Runner I fixed up but only drove to work once and around the neighborhood.

My question is...is the 3.0 4wd auto trans a bolt up, plug n play swap into a 3.4 4wd 4Runner? If it is..I can use a toyota sfa instead of a waggy 44.

A guy with a pretty sick truggy by me did it. He said the 3.4 bolts right up to the 3.0 tranny. clutch from either one will work too he said there is only a cunt hair difference not enough to effect anything.

84 std cab 22r POS. home brewed sliders and bumpers. 63's/RUF .elocker rear/welded front. 4.7. 35 km2s.
valon5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
kala

Quote:
Originally Posted by valon5150 View Post
A guy with a pretty sick truggy by me did it. He said the 3.4 bolts right up to the 3.0 tranny. clutch from either one will work too he said there is only a cunt hair difference not enough to effect anything.
thanks but that's standard. I was seeing if the auto 3.0 trans bolts to a 3.4. My Uncle said no and me and my friends arent too sure. Only way i'd know is if we do it or if someone online has had the experience doing it.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Richmondo

Send a message via Yahoo to Richmondo Send a message via Skype™ to Richmondo

The A340H from the 3.0 will bolt up but it's going to be difficult figuring out a way control the transmission as the 3.4 ECM doesn't really get the job done all that well from what I've read

Jake
Richmondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
VooDooV

You have to use the bellhousing, Torque converter and the pump from the 3.4 a340f.
He is correct about getting things ECT, The A340H uses a manual control to divert the overdrive pressure to the transfercase (Which is why you cant use the OD in 4WD on the A340H), Which the 3.4 ECT does not know how to do.
It can be done still.
VooDooV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
vasinvictor

It's been done plenty of times. It bolts right up and is about ready to run right away. You'll need to use a T100 ECU to correctly control lockup. Try taking a look in the Yotatech 3.4 swap section. I don't know if I'm allowed to link to it.

Gah, noticed the post date- just like a noob to bump and old thread

2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited|160k|4x4|235/85/16 Michelin X|Magnaflow|loaded|black|wife's

old rig 92 4Runner|3.0|auto|4.88s|33x12.5 BFG AT|no lift| no swaybars|HID flood lights| PICTURE ALBUM LINK
vasinvictor is offline   Reply With Quote