Best way to clean third member - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > New Members Area > Newbie Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the TTORA Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ATTENTION: In an on-going effort to keep this forum spam free, the Forum Admin approves every new account before giving any posting rights to new users. Accounts are normally approved within 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience, but verification of every new account is what will continue to keep this forum spam free.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
rosscopeeko

Default Best way to clean third member

Hey guys. I bought a used third member for my 97 tacoma 8.4 diff. It shipped in a paint bucket and has a little bit of white paint chips in and around the third member. Overall is doesn't look very clean so i want to clean it before i install it. I did a little reading and it sounds like people use brake cleaner. I want to flush out all the little particles inside. Is there a trick to this without taking stuff apart? I'll most likely fill once it's installed, drive for a few miles, dump and refill. Advice would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
sasaholic
Veteran Member

that shit isnt gunna effect anything. those gears will eat it up in the first 10 feet. wipe out whatever u want and leave it be.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
rosscopeeko

Yeah i thought the same about the paint, but i'm a little concerned about grit. For instance on some of the ring gear teeth there is the occasional piece of dirt i'm guessing, very small though. I just want it to last so i thought i should clean it out. Also, one of the teeth on the ring gear has a very slight chip on the inside mating surface, about 1/8" x by 3/4" along one of the ring gear teeth. It's only 1/32 deep however. All other teeth look good. Think it will be good for the long haul?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
jski

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscopeeko View Post
Yeah i thought the same about the paint, but i'm a little concerned about grit. For instance on some of the ring gear teeth there is the occasional piece of dirt i'm guessing, very small though. I just want it to last so i thought i should clean it out. Also, one of the teeth on the ring gear has a very slight chip on the inside mating surface, about 1/8" x by 3/4" along one of the ring gear teeth. It's only 1/32 deep however. All other teeth look good. Think it will be good for the long haul?
My engineering background says a chip in a tooth doesn't look good for the long haul... I don't know if others here have actual experience with running on chipped teeth, but in general, once there is a chip in a gear tooth it just gets worse.

A chip starts as a small crack in a tooth. In operation, the gear teeth act as a hydraulic pump and compress the gear oil into the crack. Over time this widens the crack and causes a chip. Once the process starts it just gets worse.

It is possible to reach some sort of equilibrium where the chip is large enough to lower the pressure produced when the teeth mesh to the point where the chip won't grow any larger. This all depends on the geometry of the teeth, strength of the gear material, viscosity of the fluid, RPM, load, etc. This makes it difficult to determine if any given chip will achieve this equilibrium condition.

Now, there is a small glimmer of hope here. The process continues because the gear oil has no place to go but into the chip in the tooth. If the chip extends to the edge of a tooth it gives the oil somewhere to go under pressure. This reduces the pressure produced when the teeth mesh and should prevent the chip from growing.

Your millage will vary, but I would say that any chip on a tooth is only going to get worse.
jski is offline   Reply With Quote